News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

There's the argument that the Eglinton West Subway, if eventually extended eastward, would have been grade separated heavy rail along the entirety of Eglinton. Goddamnit Harris.
I think Mel Lasdtman is more to blame for that one as he pushed the yet to be started Sheppard subway as the one that should be built.

I think Mel Lasdtman is more to blame for that one as he pushed the yet to be started Sheppard subway as the one that should be built.
I dont blame him for pushing it, at least something got built (even though it was really a short-sighted decision). He was ambitious, and the same certainly cant be said for our previous mayor and our current one, both of which diddled/diddle around with no results to show for it.

I dont blame him for pushing it, at least something got built (even though it was really a short-sighted decision). He was ambitious, and the same certainly cant be said for our previous mayor and our current one, both of which diddled/diddle around with no results to show for it.
It was definitely the wrong subway line to build at the time, but in the end, we have something, and we have development on Sheppard. It's still better than nothing getting built, more housing ending up at the waterfront with no transit to serve it, or more sprawl in the suburbs. I haven't run traffic studies due to lack of data, but just imagine another 25K cars having to drive into downtown every day or on the 401. The economic drawbacks would be enormous, probably greater than the 1B it cost to build the thing.

There's the argument that the Eglinton West Subway, if eventually extended eastward, would have been grade separated heavy rail along the entirety of Eglinton. Goddamnit Harris.

I do think that the Eglinton subway should have been built, but an LRT is a bit better as well, but the single occupant automobile drivers disagree..

I do think that the Eglinton subway should have been built, but an LRT is a bit better as well, but the single occupant automobile drivers disagree..
No doubt that the LRT will improve the situation on Eglinton for the time being, but the real question is "for how long?"

The corridor is expected to see some immense growth within the next decade. With the few vehicles the agency is purchasing, I'm honestly concerned about future capacity constraints the line might have, especially if proper signal priority/integration is not included.

No doubt that the LRT will improve the situation on Eglinton for the time being, but the real question is "for how long?"

The corridor is expected to see some immense growth within the next decade. With the few vehicles the agency is purchasing, I'm honestly concerned about future capacity constraints the line might have, especially if proper signal priority/integration is not included.

I know this has been noted before many times and was part of the modelling for demand - there are many points along this line where you can see a lot of transfer volume. Starting in the current Weston to Kennedy you have the following either existing of future connections:
- GO at Weston
- GO at Caledonia (future)
- TTC at Eg West
- TTC at Yonge
- TTC at Don Mills (future)
- TTC at Kennedy

The way I see it going, there will be some demand to go long distances, but a lot of the vehicles will fill up then potentially empty at these stations and repeat along the line.

For all we know, Ford and Yurek could keep kick it the construction start date down the road. There's nothing saying that this will actually start during Ford's term.

I doubt it this long after the election.

Except a signed contract with delivery dates and penalties that government would have to pay.

Why would they delay it now?
Same reason he appointed his buddy to opp commissioner. And remember the gas plants were also a done deal. They can just cancel before the deadline. Its happened before.

I know this has been noted before many times and was part of the modelling for demand - there are many points along this line where you can see a lot of transfer volume. Starting in the current Weston to Kennedy you have the following either existing of future connections:
- GO at Weston
- TTC at Eg West
- TTC at Yonge
- TTC at Kennedy

The way I see it going, there will be some demand to go long distances, but a lot of the vehicles will fill up then potentially empty at these stations and repeat along the line.
There's a good point there, but I still see some issues, especially with the current government in place:

With RER potentially not happening on many of the corridors, and fare integration not looking likely it is possible that the transfer points at Mt Dennis, Caledonia, and Kennedy will be about as busy as Downsview Park when they are built. If there is any ridership generated at those points, it'll be for people getting off GO from the suburbs heading to jobs along Eglinton Avenue.

TTC at Kennedy really doesn't count for Line 2, if anything, it'll fill up the crosstown trains a lot more because of demand from the Stouffville line and Line 3 (SRT/LRT if it's built as an LRT, Line 2 if the subway is extended)

Relief line north is not expected to be completed until at least 2041, meaning there's a 20 year gap between the opening of the crosstown and the opening of that transfer point. In that 20 year span, the 19km section of the line is expected to reach a ridership above 300K PPD before 2031, meaning there'll be a period of 10+ years of the line running at near Line 2 riders/km levels. The existing corridor sees 150K passengers per day, so a doubling within 5-10 years is very likely, it happened on Sheppard and is happening again on the TYSSE. There's also a good chance there will be a lot of development on Eglinton, expediting the future ridership growth.

Finally, there's the issue that people, like with Line 2, will just choose to continue transferring to Line 1 at Eglinton-Yonge. The majority of business is along that line, so it just makes the most sense for people to choose that transfer point even if they have to wait for 1 or 2 trains to pass through. It's like that in other countries, there's no reason why it may not end up like that here.

If things don't improve in terms of transit integration, I predict that line 5 will operate very similarly to line 2 in terms of passenger traffic patterns, meaning that it will pick up passengers from its suburban stations, and bring them to the 2 branches of line 1 for travel to downtown and other parts of the city. It also has the job of serving local traffic which makes it very difficult to account for everything.

With numerous extensions planned for this line, it'll be interesting to see how it ends up operating in the future.

They can just cancel before the deadline. Its happened before.
Better examples would be the projects that Ford did cancel shortly after being elected.

My point isn't that he won't cancel it because he can't. It's that they would have done so back in June 2018, rather than incurring another 7 months of costs on the project.

They haven't even hinted at cancelling it. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they'd cancelled it last year. I think that boat has sailed.

God, are we ready ??
Which god ... Bacchus?

Koalemos perhaps ...

Last edited:
... there are many points along this line where you can see a lot of transfer volume
I'd always assumed that this GO station would open around 2021. Or is it part of all those new GO and SmartTrack stations that Metrolinx has "deferred" indefinitely looking for developers to fun?

If they ever build the Downtown line, then this will certainly be a very busy station - but given the 25 Don Mills ridership, and the density right in that area, I suspect this will be relatively busy from day one.

I don't see the same thing on the first phase Finch West though - is there really much other than the major nodes at each end (Humber College and Finch West station)?

No, doesn't matter what God, I just don't want to have to hear about the Finch West LRT being cancelled because of DoFo.
Then pray that Koalemos is trumped by bigger fish!

Back