News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

TL;DR: my guess is that naïveté, penny-pinching/understaffing, limited autonomy and the mechanics of contract assignment make this situation a given nowadays.

Not just limited to City Hall, either. The construction industry is one big pool, and every project - public or private - draws from the same labour pool and the same managerial oversight pool.

I worry far less about the quality of workmanship on curbs and gutters than on the build quality of all those towers going up. It will be interesting to see which ones have issues in another decade, after the warranties expire.

- Paul

So they are restoring the Humber College parking lot - I wonder how many locals will try and use it as a transit parking lot...?

Surprised Humber College aren't moving their bus station to be closer to the LRT station - nor does there seem to be plans for a weather protected/sheltered route between them.
Unless Humber College have plans for a new academic building that I didn't know about!

1691680416997.png

So they are restoring the Humber College parking lot - I wonder how many locals will try and use it as a transit parking lot...?

Surprised Humber College aren't moving their bus station to be closer to the LRT station - nor does there seem to be plans for a weather protected/sheltered route between them.
Unless Humber College have plans for a new academic building that I didn't know about!
I doubt they'd move the bus depot, as it is currently right next to the main campus entrance. Moving it next to the LRT station wouldn't really benefit anyone who is at Humber, and they are the main beneficiaries of the depot.

Years ago, I thought I saw some plans for additional buildings on all of the parking lots in front of the campus, but I don't know where I saw them, and I currently can't re-find them. That being said, I doubt Humber (or any college) will really do any campus expansion for awhile once this round is completed. The colleges are in very tight places, financially, due to our friend Doug Ford.

Years ago, I thought I saw some plans for additional buildings on all of the parking lots in front of the campus, but I don't know where I saw them, and I currently can't re-find them.
The following planning document is the best I can find that is based on the final LRT station alignment.
(document here)
BBB898B2-6843-4017-ADDB-42922B539899.jpeg

6D4D59E6-E61F-4E06-9BA8-CACE4DBA5666.jpeg

This was published in 2016. Since the LRT construction has advanced quickly (relative to some other ML projects), one would expect that the school is prioritizing future construction towards that eastern periphery. At the very least some sort of walk way with a canopy would be a nice-to-have.

On another note, some of the older documentation shows the LRT was anticipated to detour more to the west from hwy 27 towards the heart of the campus, eg. below in a 2009 plan. (document here)
EBDC063A-6C85-4F53-99B1-C742CC7BB128.jpeg

I would like to think the current alignment at hwy 27 was chosen for a possible extension south to a future Woodbine GO station.

With the construction of the stevenson stop, metrolinx has made a new signalized entrance along finch to the mall, but it appears that they are also keeping the two existing entrances as right in right out only. Seems a bit excessive to have 3 entrances within 200m, I suppose eventually this mall will get redeveloped and the entrances will get reconfigured then.
I can also predict a lot of people will be jaywalking at the stevenson stop as it was a popular intersection before the lights were removed.

With the construction of the stevenson stop, metrolinx has made a new signalized entrance along finch to the mall, but it appears that they are also keeping the two existing entrances as right in right out only. Seems a bit excessive to have 3 entrances within 200m, I suppose eventually this mall will get redeveloped and the entrances will get reconfigured then.
I can also predict a lot of people will be jaywalking at the stevenson stop as it was a popular intersection before the lights were removed.

The Stevenson stop is pointless as its so close to both Albion and Kipling.

The Stevenson stop is pointless as its so close to both Albion and Kipling.
This is frustrating. In hindsight this area should have been connected with two stops: west of kipling and east of Albion.

The island platform east of Kipling serves nothing in particular. It was only chosen because of the bend on Finch just west of Kipling, but in my opinion this was a missed opportunity for a purposeful realignment of that road section. An island stop on the west would have better served every resident and destination on that side of Kipling.

Don’t even get me started on this part. Considering the absence of any proposals for mall redevelopment, this will be in a seemingly incomplete state for quite some time.

No pics but I can confirm that they completed final paving of the street and bike lanes on the eastbound section between Islington and Ardwick. The end is coming in sight.

They are also hustling and made surprisingly good progress on the most behind section between Jayzel and Weston rd.

..... Considering the absence of any proposals for mall redevelopment, this will be in a seemingly incomplete state for quite some time.

In progress, LOL

This is frustrating. In hindsight this area should have been connected with two stops: west of kipling and east of Albion.

The island platform east of Kipling serves nothing in particular. It was only chosen because of the bend on Finch just west of Kipling, but in my opinion this was a missed opportunity for a purposeful realignment of that road section. An island stop on the west would have better served every resident and destination on that side of Kipling.

Don’t even get me started on this part. Considering the absence of any proposals for mall redevelopment, this will be in a seemingly incomplete state for quite some time.
Crazy idea but maybe consider what the people in the area want? NOBODY who actually lives there wants the mall to be redeveloped. The nearest no frills is in Woodbridge if you close that one. (And for those who don't have a car that's like a $12 round trip as you're paying 4 fares)

Crazy idea but maybe consider what the people in the area want? NOBODY who actually lives there wants the mall to be redeveloped. The nearest no frills is in Woodbridge if you close that one. (And for those who don't have a car that's like a $12 round trip as you're paying 4 fares)

Crazy idea, but has it occurred to you that the No Frills could be retained in any redevelopment?

No one is going to propose chopping all the retail.

They are going to propose towers over retail.

Please refrain from posting at UT. You only come here to say outlandish things for which you have no evidence, generally because they aren't true.

Crazy idea, but has it occurred to you that the No Frills could be retained in any redevelopment?

No one is going to propose chopping all the retail.

They are going to propose towers over retail.

Please refrain from posting at UT. You only come here to say outlandish things for which you have no evidence, generally because they aren't true.
You're salty I'm not following the academic pro development circlejerk!

In this area traffic and running errands has been hell for the last 3 years!!!
Kipling ave was torn down to the dirt to replace the concrete and asphalt so the entire street was 1 lane in each direction from steeles to finch.
The road was re-designed to get people to speed less, but this means in the winter the bus and trucks/SUV's end up coming into the 2nd lane due to the slush/snow in the curbs.
It takes 20+ mins to get through highway 27 and humber college boulevard, and none of the signs are correct! There has been signs for months pointing to lanes that don't exist.
Then for years they made the area around kipling and finch one lane.

Every time something is touched here it makes it worse overall in my experience! And not an ounce of sympathy from people here.

I've followed the development at dixie mall and the traffic is insane! The residents are not happy either, but I guess all that matters is the opinions of people here who'll never suffer the consequences of the changes they want to see.
This is just like the streetcars on the west end. They're going to be closed for most of a decade, but every time I complain people here hand wave away

Back