News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Not to detract too much from the topic of Finch West LRT, but I find it quite intriguing that "light metro" has still been used to describe the Ontario Line rolling stock. While they are smaller than the metro that Toronto is used to, they function fully as "regular" metro internationally, and are still larger (wider) than the rolling stock used in the London Underground and Paris Metro. Metrolinx is still doing themselves a disservice by comparing it to the SkyTrain. Anyway, feel free to PM me to continue this discussion offline.
To be fair I don't think Metrolinx has made that comparison themselves, but rather people like myself have to distinct the Ontario Line construction style away from the traditional Toronto style and closer to the Skytrain.
LA will likely build heavy rail on the Sepulveda corridor.
That is a complicated question. Ignoring the monorail options, Sepulveda has 3 options for construction, 2 of which uses a Bechtel ALM, and 1 which uses the standard LA Subway standard. They call all 3 options "Heavy Rail", but the Bechtel proposal has them running 3-4 car trains, up to 90s headways, ie its effectively an ALM.

The issue is last I checked Cali is planning to implement a state bill to potentially ban automated trains from running in service, so this might have to be revised. We'll see.

Not to detract too much from the topic of Finch West LRT, but I find it quite intriguing that "light metro" has still been used to describe the Ontario Line rolling stock.
The last thing the Ontario Line is, is light metro. Line 3 was light metro. Though it's certainly off-topic to this discussion - I'm not sure why one would compare Finch West to light metro; though most of Line 5 would be a decent comparison to light metro.

Last edited:
March CLC slides are up: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/upload/v1709758994/Images/Metrolinx/CLC_March_2024_FINAL.pdf

1709763250551.png
1709763299541.png

1709763325182.png
1709763395672.png

1709763367947.png

I doubt they are "hinting" at anything. Unless Metrolinx thinks they are Drake dropping a new album lol.

They are not going to announce anything until Phil and Doug can get in front of a camera and skew a late, overpriced tram that costs more than a subway as a "revolution for Toronto" or something

I doubt they are "hinting" at anything. Unless Metrolinx thinks they are Drake dropping a new album lol.

They are not going to announce anything until Phil and Doug can get in front of a camera and skew a late, overpriced tram that costs more than a subway as a "revolution for Toronto" or something
keep the good vibes coming dude!

So if line 6 will indeed open before line 5....
Success of line 6 construction or failure of 5?

While it has been painful, Ontario has gained a lot of expertise towards building LRT's. The results of climbing the learning curve are being seen on Line 6.

There are now multiple LRV's out testing on the surface portion of the Crosstown five days a week. The at-grade LRT segment is not the portion where the biggest problems arose or where they are playing catchup.

I have high confidence of Ontario's ability to build more LRT efficiently going forward. Subways, not so much.

- Paul

While it has been painful, Ontario has gained a lot of expertise towards building LRT's. The results of climbing the learning curve are being seen on Line 6.

There are now multiple LRV's out testing on the surface portion of the Crosstown five days a week. The at-grade LRT segment is not the portion where the biggest problems arose or where they are playing catchup.

I have high confidence of Ontario's ability to build more LRT efficiently going forward. Subways, not so much.

- Paul
Are we really contemplating more LRTs?

Eglinton East and Hamilton... anything else on the drawing board? Jane?

That is to say, once this round of building is complete, will all that experience be frittered away?

Are we really contemplating more LRTs?

Eglinton East and Hamilton... anything else on the drawing board? Jane?

That is to say, once this round of building is complete, will all that experience be frittered away?
unless you are continual building yes it will fritter away.
I think more LRTs will be built in Ontario before that happen though
there is also the waterfront LRT and ION as well. these projects will probably get us to around 2040 for continual LRT building and by then i am sure a bunch more projects will be planned.

Back