News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
David Rider Urban Affairs Bureau Chief

Mayor Rob Ford, who campaigned on the city having a spending — not a revenue — problem, is asking the Ontario government for an injection of more than $150 million in the provincial budget expected in late March, the Star has learned.

In a four-page letter dated Jan. 25 sent by Ford to Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan, and obtained by the Star, the mayor asks for money for road construction and repair, public transit projects, a Fort York visitor centre and the renewal of programs to fund subsidized child care, housing and services for immigrants.

Ford, who last week passed a city budget that freezes taxes primarily by drawing on one-time surpluses and reserve funds, notes the city manages a child-care system that serves 53,402 children, and manages 24,000 child-care fee subsidies and a wait list with another 17,000 names.

The city-provincial cost-sharing agreement is not indexed to inflation and funding remains at 1995 levels, Ford wrote — and the city needs another $11.5 million to make up the difference.

“The city’s ability to maintain 24,000 child-care fee subsidies . . . is dependent on annual draws from the city’s Child Care Expansion Reserve Fund which will be depleted in 2012.

“Unless addressed, the shortfall will result in a reduction of 3,500 subsidized child-care spaces,†Ford wrote, asking that the $11.5 million hike be made permanent.

The mayor also asked for $48.3 million for road projects, including upgrading an aging traffic-signal system, reconfiguring the Six Points road maze in Etobicoke, and repairing five roads including Eglinton Ave. W., Finch Ave. W. and Kingston Rd.

For public transit, Ford wants $89 million a year for five years for initiatives including new subway cars, buses and implementation of the province’s PRESTO payment card.

And, while Ford often blasted predecessor David Miller for building demands for provincial transit operating funding into city budgets, and has said Toronto needs to get its fiscal house in order before asking the province for money, the mayor makes a case that sounds very familiar.

“The city seeks the restoration of the 50 per cent provincial operating subsidy for public transportation costs,†Ford wrote. “Ongoing, stable provincial support would ensure predictable funding for existing TTC riders (447 million strong) and future growth in TTC infrastructure.â€

Ford also makes a plea for the province to match Ottawa’s $5 million contribution to build a visitor centre for the Fort York historic site, noting the city is investing $23 million.

“A decision from Ontario is required urgently in order to tender the construction of the project and meet the 2012 deadline,†Ford wrote.

He also officially asks the province to renew the Canada-Ontario Affordable Housing Program and the Canada-Ontario Immigration Agreement, both of which expire at the end of March.

While Ford has expressed his displeasure with the performance of Toronto Community Housing Corp., which will be the subject of two scathing audits to be released as early as Monday, the housing request seems to signal he’s not about to make radical changes in the model for sheltering the needy.

Premier Dalton McGuinty has publicly welcomed cooperation with Ford on issues including a revamped, subway-based transit plan. But some senior Ontario Liberals have reacted to Ford’s requests for more funding by turning his election catchphrase back on him, joking, “Haven’t you heard? The gravy train has been stopped.â€

An email sent Sunday evening to Ford’s spokeswoman Adrienne Batra requesting comment on the funding request went unanswered.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/945862--ford-asks-province-for-more-than-150m

According to G&M, the request is for more than $350M (the difference coming from including the 50% subsidy for TTC operating costs), and has been rejected by McGuinty.

The only smart thing coming out of this is the restoration of the 50% TTC subsidy. Too bad Ford undermined this request with his earlier tax cut.

The city's budget chief, Mike Del Grande, said he couldn't comment on the request for provincial funding because did not know about the letter. "I read it in the newspaper," Del Grande told CBC News. "I can't say anything about it because I don't know anything about it."

Why Del Grande was left out of the loop?

One wonders if this wasn't political move?? Knowing that Duncan would say no, Hudak can come to the rescue with an election promise to Toronto to support Ford's request. It's the kind of strategy that conservatives would risk for a few seat in Toronto.

Don't worry guys, "Toronto has a spending problem, not a revenue problem." This was just for fun or something...we didn't actually need that money.

The city's budget chief, Mike Del Grande, said he couldn't comment on the request for provincial funding because did not know about the letter. "I read it in the newspaper," Del Grande told CBC News. "I can't say anything about it because I don't know anything about it."

Why Del Grande was left out of the loop?

One wonders if this wasn't political move?? Knowing that Duncan would say no, Hudak can come to the rescue with an election promise to Toronto to support Ford's request. It's the kind of strategy that conservatives would risk for a few seat in Toronto.

Left out of budget consulations, now this. I wonder how long Del Grande will remain.

As for Ford, it does sound like a political move- some of the stuff on his list was fairly reasonable, and he likely would have known better than to ask McGuinty for these after cutting taxes. It seems like win-win situation for Ford- get the money right away with McGuinty captulating, or get claim that McGuinty ignored Toronto for a political boost for Hudak.

Now, on the other hand, it seems like plenty of Torontonians are bashing Ford for this move, while non-Torontonians are opposed to their tax dollars going to Toronto, so...

The only smart thing coming out of this is the restoration of the 50% TTC subsidy. Too bad Ford undermined this request with his earlier tax cut.

There was no such thing as 50% TTC subsidy. There was once a province-wide 50% transit subsidy. But I never heard of no 50% subsidy specific to the TTC only.

But then again, the city already uses the provincial gas tax subsidize TTC operating costs.

Maybe it would make more sense for the city ask the province to restore the province-wide funding for transit vehcile replacement, which it recently canceled.

I don't see how this could be seen as a smart political move. Any votes gained in Toronto by the Conservatives due to a funding promise for Toronto would likely cost them at least as many votes outside the city.

Agreed. Given that the city finances are so good that we ran a huge surplus, that we cut a $60-million tax, that we froze residential property taxes that are probably already the lowest in the province, and that we are planning to eliminate the land transfer tax, the province would be crazy to hand over any $$$ - the optics are terrible.

I don't see how this could be seen as a smart political move. Any votes gained in Toronto by the Conservatives due to a funding promise for Toronto would likely cost them at least as many votes outside the city.

Except that ridings outside of the city are little inclined to vote Liberal now anyways, no?

Agreed. Given that the city finances are so good that we ran a huge surplus, that we cut a $60-million tax, that we froze residential property taxes that are probably already the lowest in the province, and that we are planning to eliminate the land transfer tax, the province would be crazy to hand over any $$$ - the optics are terrible.

I agree as well. The optics are ridiculously bad. Right now he looks like a complete hypocrite.

while non-Torontonians are opposed to their tax dollars going to Toronto, so...

That always makes me mad. where do they think those tax dollars come from in the first place???

Anyway, this is a typical political ploy: "I asked for money from the province because the previous government screwed us, they refused so THAT is why I can't commit to my election promises and need to raise taxes on the lower and middle class voters (not the corporations) that I suckered into voting for me - BUT remember to blame the province and Miller!"

Last edited:
Except that ridings outside of the city are little inclined to vote Liberal now anyways, no?

I doubt the Conservatives want it to come down to a choice of what people outside Toronto hate more - Toronto or the Liberal Party.

Well I'm not even thinking along those lines so much as there just seems to be a mood for change in the air, and if Miller was perceived as being corrupt and wasteful we can only imagine what the widespread opinion of McGinty must be. Besides, don't underestimate the appeal of Ford's populism and how its message of 'stick it to the bloated bureaucrats' is resonating outside of Toronto. McGuinty's refusal of Ford may play badly for him, very badly.

Edited to add...

... and only the most partisan in Toronto will be happy to see McGuinty screw Ford.

Last edited:

Back