News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Hypnotoad

Member Bio
Reaction score
Former Liberal to run for NDP in Gatineau
The Canadian Press

February 25, 2008 at 9:02 AM EST

OTTAWA — The New Democrats are announcing a new federal candidate in the Gatineau area — former Liberal MP Françoise Boivin.

NDP Leader Jack Layton is holding a new conference Monday to introduce Ms. Boivin, a broadcaster, labour lawyer and onetime chair of the Liberal women's caucus.

Ms. Boivin, 47, was defeated by Bloc candidate Richard Nadeau in the January 2006 federal election.

She has been considering running for the NDP for some time.

As a radio and television host, she called on people to boycott Petro-Canada in an effort to pressure the national fuel company to lower gasoline prices.

During her single term with the Liberals, she was also a vocal opponent of the U.S. missile defence system.

I'm not sure if this meets Stephane Dion's mandate to run 1/3 of all his candidates as women...

Also, I'm not sure this will do anything for the NDP but ensure they don't get a seat in Gatineau. If anything, it'll do more to split the federalist vote (3 ways) and guarantee that the Bloc retain what used to be a fairly safe federalist/Liberal seat. I understand the Conservatives had hoped to run a star-candidate in this riding as well, as it was well regarded as a potential loss for the Bloc.

Layton would be happier with a Bloc member than a Liberal.

Back