News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Certain employers ask male employees to shave (though exceptions can be made for religious reasons).

For example, there's the New York Yankees appearance policy, while most other teams allow players to have thick facial hair.

When Lou was the GM for the Leafs, he had a similar policy, so once he joined the Islanders, they all grew out their facial hair.

Exactly. I have no idea why someone would want to fight this. Just bizarre, unless said person held the same or similar views.

What he did went beyond just being racist. He literally stalked and harassed people.

Lots of whining from someone who is supposed to be "proud" of his beliefs...

A convicted hate-monger who was due to be sentenced on Friday has fired his lawyer and will instead try to raise a constitutional challenge before he is sentenced in mid-July.

In an interview on Thursday, James Sears, editor of Your Ward News, said he plans to raise arguments about ineffective help from his lawyer, Dean Embry. Sears said Embry refused to ask certain questions or call any experts.

"I'm beginning to believe this was all predetermined and my own lawyer threw the case," Sears said. "Something just didn't sit right."

Sears, 55, and publisher LeRoy St. Germaine, 74, were each found guilty in January of two counts — promoting hatred against women and Jews — for the contents of 22 issues of Your Ward News. Court heard the paper had a circulation of 300,000 in the Toronto area and beyond as well as an online presence.

Among other things, the publication depicted in words and imagery beyond-vile stereotypes of Jews, denied the Holocaust, claimed women were inferior and that they bring rape and beatings on themselves.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/your-ward-news-sears-1.5156772

I would say it is often true that we hate what we are or those who share our views so closely we see ourselves reflected in them. And the opposite of hate is not love. Love and hate are close cousins. The opposite of hate is indifference. The opposite of love is indifference.

Lots of whining from someone who is supposed to be "proud" of his beliefs...

A convicted hate-monger who was due to be sentenced on Friday has fired his lawyer and will instead try to raise a constitutional challenge before he is sentenced in mid-July.

In an interview on Thursday, James Sears, editor of Your Ward News, said he plans to raise arguments about ineffective help from his lawyer, Dean Embry. Sears said Embry refused to ask certain questions or call any experts.

"I'm beginning to believe this was all predetermined and my own lawyer threw the case," Sears said. "Something just didn't sit right."

Sears, 55, and publisher LeRoy St. Germaine, 74, were each found guilty in January of two counts — promoting hatred against women and Jews — for the contents of 22 issues of Your Ward News. Court heard the paper had a circulation of 300,000 in the Toronto area and beyond as well as an online presence.

Among other things, the publication depicted in words and imagery beyond-vile stereotypes of Jews, denied the Holocaust, claimed women were inferior and that they bring rape and beatings on themselves.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/your-ward-news-sears-1.5156772

He's got a tall hill to climb. He's going to have to establish that his defense was deficient or incompetent to the point that it deprived him of right to a fair hearing and; therefore, was a miscarriage or justice .

Maby one who is all hateful and angry is hurting and needs to release their hurt or anger through writings as a form of healing or of relief or release? As long as they don't take any action on what they write then it would be fair to say that the ones in power who arrest a man for only writing hateful or angry words down on paper or internet are really the ones who are hateful because they took action to take away the freedom of another person who ONLY wrote down words of expression and never acted on them. Yes only words on paper or internet. No a bad action directly against another person he committed at all. You simply have the right or choice to turn such a page and not read it or not listen to it. No one is forcing you to read or listen to such a speech or writings.

Last edited:
Maby one who is all hateful and angry is hurting and needs to release their hurt or anger through writings as a form of healing or of relief or release? As long as they don't take any action on what they write then it would be fair to say that the ones in power who arrest a man for only writing hateful or angry words down on paper or internet are really the ones who are hateful because they took action to take away the freedom of another person who ONLY wrote down words of expression and never acted on them. Yes only words on paper or internet. No a bad action directly against another person he committed at all. You simply have the right or choice to turn such a page and not read it or not listen to it. No one is forcing you to read or listen to such a speech or writings.
A paragraph that includes a 71-word sentence justifying inciting hatred because the writer/speaker didn't specifically "act on" their hate is my definition of unhinged

Video games are originally designed to be forms of stress-relieving entertainment.

Play any popular modern online game with voice chat. Guess what you will hear. All sorts of unpublishable stuff, win or loss. Stress relief or stress-inducing?

But again, there's always the mute button.

Video games are originally designed to be forms of stress-relieving entertainment.

Play any popular modern online game with voice chat. Guess what you will hear. All sorts of unpublishable stuff, win or loss. Stress relief or stress-inducing?

But again, there's always the mute button.
Depends on the game in my experience. I find most first person shooters have toxic communities and are filled with people who are spewing opinions that they're not willing to say in public. I haven't run into as much of that in mmorpgs but maybe I've been fortunate.

Depends on the game in my experience. I find most first person shooters have toxic communities and are filled with people who are spewing opinions that they're not willing to say in public. I haven't run into as much of that in mmorpgs but maybe I've been fortunate.
No doubt about that. Some genres are much more likely to have toxicity than others.

I avoid FPSes like the plague (and are not my cup of tea anyways).

Editor of Your Ward News gets one year in jail for hate speech promotion.

A judge sentenced James Sears after denying his bid to reopen the trial. Sears, 55, had tried to argue his lawyer had thrown the case.

Ontario court Judge Richard Blouin said the lawyer had acted professionally. The editor of Your Ward News, who was found guilty in January of promoting hatred against women and Jews, was led away in handcuffs.

The paper's publisher, LeRoy St. Germaine, will be sentenced next week.

https://www.cp24.com/news/editor-of...one-year-in-jail-for-hate-promotion-1.4561156

Interesting though certain people can preach racism on twitter without any issues though...

I watched the Joe Rogan special with the Twitter CEO and moderation team and it was pretty much

"if you go after a protected class with racism that is automatically seen as targeted racism"

however, Joe then pointed out that you can be openly racist to white people on twitter and the Twitter team said that isn't really targeted racism lol

I think that is why a lot of people get upset how 'free speech actually works' because it seems one's free speech is determined by one's place on the hierarchy of oppression.

Interesting though certain people can preach racism on twitter without any issues though...

I watched the Joe Rogan special with the Twitter CEO and moderation team and it was pretty much

"if you go after a protected class with racism that is automatically seen as targeted racism"

however, Joe then pointed out that you can be openly racist to white people on twitter and the Twitter team said that isn't really targeted racism lol

I think that is why a lot of people get upset how 'free speech actually works' because it seems one's free speech is determined by one's place on the hierarchy of oppression.

First, a point of clarification.

"Freedom of Speech" has a specific meaning; and it is not ' you may say anything, anywhere, anytime without consequence"

Rather, it is you may speak critically of the government without fear of reprisal by the state.

You don't go to Jail for disliking Liberals/Conservatives/NDP'ers etc.

What Twitter does with with its own platform is a private matter, not a public one; and its regulated by its owners, not the government, as expressed in in its Terms of Service.

That said, 'racism' against white people is not reasonable, likable or otherwise acceptable.

BUT

It really isn't the same thing, particularly in the United States as bashing a minority.

Outcomes in the United States (power, education, money, jobs) are still vastly better for those who are 'white' vs those who are 'black' (the principal minority in the United States).

One of those minorities is already far more likely to be jailed, far more likely to be a victim of discrimination, far more likely to be shot by police.

Given what has been seen at the U.S. southern border and notably with the recent shooting in El Paso, I would suggest life is also markedly worse for Hispanics in the United States (who would be labelled 'white' in any other part
of the world, but I digress).

Should their be a hierarchy of oppression? Of course not. But in the real world is one group more powerful than another, and one (or more) groups more likely to be victimized as a result of hateful rhetoric? The answer is surely yes.

That doesn't mean Twitter shouldn't (ideally) police all hatred inappropriate language with equal vigour.

But in the end, one is a slightly more pressing concern than the other, at least when taken in the aggregate.

Last edited:
See here: Twitter suspensions

Notice that GamerGate led to Twitter ramping up its suspensions, since very few notable individuals were suspended pre-GamerGate.

Video games should be more open, not be only for young white heterosexual cis-males. They should be for everyone, regardless of one's immutable characteristics.

Speech is one thing. I'm more concerned with power + racism. A drunk on the street hurling a slur means nothing. But a cop, politician, leader of the free world doing it is a much bigger issue. Having the power to act on racist beliefs is IMO a much bigger issue than a powerless racist. I've had my suspicions of Joe Rogan.

The problem is people on the left had their way they ban Joe Rogan, Shapiro, Peterson and others using that logic ^

Back