8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Jdot

Member Bio
Reaction score
New sidewalks are being laid along Front between University and Spadina. I noticed work being done in front of the mainframe hotel on the south side of Front yesterday, and then noticed that a brand new sidewalk lines the north side of Front between John Street and Blue Jay Way (along the front of those parking lots).

The street right at the intersection of Front and Blue Jays Way was being ripped up on my way to work today.

Does anyone know if the entire stretch of Front is going to be re-laid (pavement and sidewalk)?

It looks like it will just be plain old cement with a thin line of granite tiles where the street meets the sidewalk. I would have thought that this important street, especially when it comes to a "tourist zone" would have received more elaborate attention and "frill".

At least the tree holes appear to be large, and not set up to accomodate cement blocks which cover all the soil.

I wish the city would get rid of all the trees on the sidewalks that die in the winter because it just makes the city look dead! Theu should plant trees that stay alive in the winter like evergreen trees!

Evergreens tend to be bushy at the bottom, with needles that get stuck in toddlers' eyes, and which can hide criminals and hare krishna types from unsuspecting passersby until it's too late.

The city now mandates that new sidewalk trees get sufficient water to keep them alive. Are these new tree cavities plumbed?

Are these new tree cavities plumbed?

new development must by directly tapping into the building's water supply (more bad news for future condo owners) but don't know about the city itself

the tree planters (for lack of a better word) on Front are not tapping into any water supply. Still, the size of opening around the trunk is MUCH larger than 6 inches or so most trees get.

new development must by directly tapping into the building's water supply (more bad news for future condo owners) but don't know about the city itself

All of the new trees, large ones at that, along the southside of Shuter that were planted when Jazz was built are all history the first year in. So the water supply didn't work. Wonder if Jazz or the city has to replant them.

All of the new trees, large ones at that, along the southside of Shuter that were planted when Jazz was built are all history the first year in. So the water supply didn't work. Wonder if Jazz or the city has to replant them.

Jazz most likely pre-dates the section 37 commitment as its approval was up at least two years ago.

Evergreens tend to be bushy at the bottom, with needles that get stuck in toddlers' eyes, and which can hide criminals and hare krishna types from unsuspecting passersby until it's too late.

I had always wondered why no evergreens ever showed up in sidewalk plantings.

A most "revealing" post.

Yeah, it's an anti-proselytizing measure - can you believe that?

After a shaky start, the trees along St. George (between Bloor and College) are growing fantastically. What's their secret?

Back