News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Few points:

Re: Attendance

The symposium had to be postponed by 3 weeks because of the storm at the start fo the month. I was surprised how quickly they rescheduled the event.

That being said, registration went from 500 registered participants for the original symposium date to less than 300 for the new date. People had months to plan to attend the original date, however only had less than 3 weeks to plan to attend the new date.

Re: Malton

I know for a fact that there was at least one women from Malton in attendance. She voluntered at my symposium held on the Saturday and told me all about the Friday night event.

The city went above and beyond promoting the symposium to everyone. There was advertisements just about everywhere in the city. I especially liked the screen saver ads on all the computer screens at the city libraries.

I truly believe the city made every effort this time around to be inclusive in the whole process.

For those not able to attend, I understand they recieved thousands of online submissions and puzzle pieces with suggestion written on them.

As for $200 to the Malton Festival, I asked about that, and the city is actually giving more to them than that amount. They didn't factor in the in-kind services the city will be providing. Also, I was just at a meeting this week at City Hall with the new Office of the Arts which is launching a $125,000 fund specifically for special events in the city, which I'm sure the Malton Festival will tap into.

Re: Youth

I got a frantic call from the event organizers the Wednesday before the symposium asking for youth. They were prepared to offer bus tickets and dinner to any young person planning to attend.

When the city rescheduled the symposium they conflicted with an event I was organizing the whole day Saturday which was attended by over 200 youth leaders, hence why the lack of youth at the city event.

Louroz

Youth wasn't missing in my Cafe as there were over 20 of them in the room out of 100.

Malton has always got the short end of the stick.

Youth was not lost as where the city is to be down the road.

I have call for better service to Malton for over 5 years as well the Airport. I call for 2 express service from city core that who take riders to Malton in 30 minutes, not the 55-74 minutes it takes today on the #7 or #18.

3 week turn around with only a week notices didn't help for turnout.

Few points:

Re: Malton

I know for a fact that there was at least one women from Malton in attendance. She voluntered at my symposium held on the Saturday and told me all about the Friday night event.

Yep, I know that for a fact too. She's a Youth facilitator hired on contract by The Corporation so she doesn't count.

The Waterfront people were there in full force as were people who serve on The Corporation's Advisory groups. Add to those the regular cadre of developers and you have what Carolyn Parrish refers to as the "same list of suspects".

I've gotten to recognize them.

I truly believe the city made every effort this time around to be inclusive in the whole process.

Just imagine even at the beginning having only 500 people show for this Biggie Visioning Symposium... and I'm talking about the first scheduled one.

When you remove the attendees who were city employees and special interests groups eager to write their special projects on the pretty stickers and I wonder how many actual regular people showed up.

I didn't write/participate in any way --save for one sticker. My favourite city. I wrote down Honolulu. I attended every second as an observer.

For those not able to attend, I understand they recieved thousands of online submissions and puzzle pieces with suggestion written on them.

I heard that something like 1,100 of the 6,000 puzzle pieces came from one high school alone. I'm surprised that you mentioned thousands of online submissions. I'll have to drop down a Freedom of Information on that.

As for $200 to the Malton Festival, I asked about that, and the city is actually giving more to them than that amount.

Now don't you start going CityofMississauga on me. I said they gave $200 last year. If the city is now "actually giving more to them than that amount" that's for this summer coming up.

I went to both the Meadowvale Celebration as well as Malton (happened weekend) and HUGE HUGE difference. HUGE. Yet I felt more at home with the people in Malton.

Re: Youth

I got a frantic call from the event organizers the Wednesday before the symposium asking for youth. They were prepared to offer bus tickets and dinner to any young person planning to attend.

Not just that but they also had to bribe them with "volunteer hours". You should'a seen the lineup of kids at the "checkout" table. One dude said he went to Appleby College (not your regular Mississauga kid)

When the city rescheduled the symposium they conflicted with an event I was organizing the whole day Saturday which was attended by over 200 youth leaders, hence why the lack of youth at the city event.

Actually, Louroz, while there may be many reasons for a lack of interest/attendance, there's one possible real simple reason why there's a lack of youth at the Youth Invitations.

I'll tell you some time. After, it's over.

Turst Qualty Excelence, tra la

Youth wasn't missing in my Cafe as there were over 20 of them in the room out of 100.

Malton has always got the short end of the stick.

Youth was not lost as where the city is to be down the road.

I have call for better service to Malton for over 5 years as well the Airport. I call for 2 express service from city core that who take riders to Malton in 30 minutes, not the 55-74 minutes it takes today on the #7 or #18.

3 week turn around with only a week notices didn't help for turnout.

Question. What room were you in? Meaning, what Missy Big Shot was in your room?

My room had about 8-10 Youth. You know you got ringers when they're calling for a "vibrant downtown core" and "efficient transit along the Waterfront".

Muse, I don't see why you are so eager to blame the city for the poor attendance when the event was open to everyone. I knew about the event and Im currently living in Toronto. It was all over the Mississauga News and I noticed signs posted around Mississauga for the symposium when visiting my family. I would have been there if I didn't have to work. People have lives. Its hard to get people to come out to events such as these.

Im actually surprised with the 300 number, and the 500 registrations for the original day. Its a lot more than I thought for an event that took place on a single weekend.

Question. What room were you in? Meaning, what Missy Big Shot was in your room?

My room had about 8-10 Youth. You know you got ringers when they're calling for a "vibrant downtown core" and "efficient transit along the Waterfront".

I was in 3.

The table near the door was all youth. 3 at my table with others at other tables.

I had some city planners at my table. Had to take my jaw off the table at some of the comments that were made by them to my comments I have made over the year as positive direction finally.

Had the City manager, Martin Powell, MT Director. Tony was running the room.

Transit was at the top and it reinforce what I have being saying to council the last 8 years. Even Urban design for streets was on the table.

Waterfront another top item.

I notice a number of groups went outside the questions which was good as I had some issues with some of the questions. We did did some ourself.

Muse, I don't see why you are so eager to blame the city for the poor attendance when the event was open to everyone. I knew about the event and Im currently living in Toronto. It was all over the Mississauga News and I noticed signs posted around Mississauga for the symposium when visiting my family. I would have been there if I didn't have to work. People have lives. Its hard to get people to come out to events such as these.

Im actually surprised with the 300 number, and the 500 registrations for the original day. Its a lot more than I thought for an event that took place on a single weekend.

Hey there, Tuscan,

To be clear, I'm not blaming Mississauga for the poor attendance. I agree with what you wrote, and would add that they also had these large portable billboards advertising the Visioning Symposium along major routes.

You zeroed in on the problem:

"I would have been there if I didn't have to work. People have lives. Its hard to get people to come out to events such as these."

So. When you schedule an "Our Future Mississauga Conversation" on a Friday from 9:00am to 6:30pm who's your "TARGET-humans"?

It sure ain't you, Tuscan. Who's the TARGET-HUMANS when you schedule 9:00am to 6:30pm on a Friday?

I know retirees were there. I know they had to bribe Youth to be there. I recognized the Usual Suspects --who were there. (I was approached by City not to videotape the crowd even though this was a public meeting. Why? Serious question for you to think about. I say "you" because I know why.)

I agree too that to get 300 of the original 500 is decent during a time change.

But here's the thing. You've now attracted corralled Youth, people "freed" for the day like teachers (I know they were about), government types and Mississaugans with powerful interests in making sure that they got to write on those stickers.

That's the problem I have with it, Tuscan.

It's all SO FAUX.

What I found most bizarre was reviewing the City's "Visioning Symposium" video. Since I videotaped it as it was coming off the Council screen, I have my own copy.

What's striking is the Evangelical Feel to the thing. The rapturous smiles from the facilitators. It's like a pile of people worshipping at the Church-Phenomenal of Mississauga.

There's other stuff but I have to wait on things. My observational time isn't near over yet.

Agreed. Lots of advertising to get people out.

Then again, Mississauga Council meetings are open to the public as well. But does Mississauga really want the public there?

With meetings on Wednesdays at 9:00am?...

It renders those who must work as essentially mute. Other city councils hold their Council meetings in the evenings. For example, Hamilton Council meetings begin at 7:00 PM.

Take home message? Hamilton wants their citizens engaged and inside Council chambers?

Mississauga?.... or any other council doin' the 9:00 thing?...

I was in 3.

Had the City manager, Martin Powell, MT Director. Tony was running the room.

Having observed (videotaped) and researched Mississauga Council since June 2006, I can tell you that I appreciate Martin Powell. He's got such a good heart.

Unflappable and face it, one heck of a tough job selling transit to auto-addicts (of which I am one).

I'm curious. What was the sense you got out of the Youth table? Can you give me a synopsis on what they reported to the room after the Communication Cafe was all cafe-ed out?

GREAT BROWNIES, eh? ( Had they put in an additive or two we'd have really visioned the Visionings.... ) Primo cookies too.

Back