News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Future Shop and Best Buy was practically the same store. Often, the stores would be located in the same shopping area. Obviously, many stores were redundant.

I bought my Galaxy Camera 2 at the Dundas Square FS. Otherwise, I used it for showrooming--then bought online for lower price.

Good riddance: staff were rude and always trying to upsell their useless warranty package.

Extended warranties are just a gimmick. Both Future Shop and Best Buy, are terrible for shoving those down your throat.

A few summers ago I bought a dehumidifier from Future Shop. The guy in the appliance section stood there dicking around on his phone ignoring me. Not even a "hello" It wasn't until i was walking to the cash with the bulky box that i could barely hang on to, he decided to help me. He said "I can ring that in here for you sir" I knew he just wanted either the commission or try to sell me some extended warranties, so i brushed him off by saying NO THANKS. He looked liked he was about to kill me when i said that. Never bought a thing from Future Shop since.

Future Shop shall be renamed "Past Shop." Why? FS is a thing of the past.

I went to Canada Computers across Yonge Street from FS. It is north of Eglinton. The staff at Canada Computers is happy that they have increased business when the FS is being renovated for a week.

Last edited:
Perhaps too many people visited Future Shop just to take a look around, then buy the product at a lower price online, which in other words, just "showrooming."

I've never had the experience where an item is cheaper online for electronics (or much else for that matter), especially when you add in Shipping and Handling which often bumps it up to what you're going to spend in-store anyway. I was genuinely surprised what so many shop for electronics online.

I find going to a brick-n-mortar store, I may "window shop" and actually buy something other things, in addition to what I went into it to buy. Going online, means you are looking for (generally) one item, and one item only. You may go into a Staples store for a pen, but end up buying an eraser, pencil case, pencils, and so on, that you were not really going to get at that time. Same with Future Shop or Best Buy. They need to keep the brick-n-mortar stores, to get the other things you were not looking for at the time.

I've never had the experience where an item is cheaper online for electronics (or much else for that matter), especially when you add in Shipping and Handling which often bumps it up to what you're going to spend in-store anyway. I was genuinely surprised what so many shop for electronics online.

10 years ago, you could buy the same electronics online for upwards of half the price as Future Shop. But in recent years, Future Shop became a lot more competitive.

Many online retailers offer free shipping on total purchases over a certain amount. For example, Amazon offers free shipping when making orders over $20 before tax.

I bought a new tv instore because there was a $50 shipping and handling charge for online large tv purchases...still had to pay the environmental charge though!

All Future Shops that are not permanently closed have been re-opened as Best Buy as of yesterday. However, some of those Best Buys still have Future Shop signage.

Back