News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Don't go too slow (I was told if you go 10 under, they'd fail you) and never go over the limit.

Had a friend who went for her G test and examiner told her to "speed up" (even though she was going the speed limit). The examiner even told her to "go faster" when approaching a yellow light and when she crossed the intersection, he asked "why did you run that red light?"

I can confirm the first point.

AoD

Actually, you'd have to turn your front wheels into the curb whether you're parking uphill or downhill if you intend on the car rolling into the curb in an emergency situation.

Wrong.

Wheels have to be turned towards the curb when parking downhill, away from the curb when parking uphill. Doing it your way would allow the front end of the car to swing into a live lane of traffic.

Someone needs a refresher :p

Instructors are definitely hit and miss. I still remember my test from 10 years ago

My first test - Failed because at an all-way stop, there was a woman crossing and I waited for her to cross entirely before I moved. The car adjacent to me decided to be impatient and went before me (out of order). I couldn't move forward, obviously, and the driver looks at me and says "do you plan on moving?"

second test - SAME situation, car goes out of order, I pause and wait for him to finish, and the instructor commends me on being patient. I end up passing

I just finished my G exam a few hours go, best advice I can give
Stay at or slightly below the speed limit, I went to Peterborough so there its not that bad because there basically are only 2 speed limits you need to worry about 50 on the roads, even if you do 50 on the Parkway which has a max of 60 you should be ok, and of course 100 on the highway.
Move your head around and show the tester you're checking blind spots, mirrors etc.
At a stop sign or red light MAKE SURE to come to a full stop and wait for 3 seconds before doing anything.
Now tests may differ but mine went like this at Peterborough
Test at 9:25am, make sure to come a bit early.
Now I reverse parked my car so it makes it easy to get out, you do not need to reverse out for the full G at this location.
I already kept my car on with the hand break down, so when the tester came she asked me to signal left then right then brake, she then checked the front left and right signal and asked me to horn.
The test was pretty straight forward from this point almost always you make a right turn out, then get on the highway right away, you MUST reach 100KPH before merging in, make sure you check and double check blind spots and mirrors and of course signal. Oh and also make sure you turn your signal light off after merging keeping it on for too long will cause you to lose marks.
As soon as I was on the highway merged, she said "When its safe to do so please change to the left lane" again you MUST be at 100 or close to it at this point even while changing lanes, do NOT go over 100. Also check your mirrors, blind spots and of course signal before making the lane change.
She then asks you to make a right lane change, and then get off the highway at the next exit, make sure you lower your speed when you enter the road, since I was in Peterborough it was of course 50.
Then we made a few left turns with stop signs involved, again come to a complete stop and wait for 3 seconds then proceed.
Then off to another highway, note though this highway has a shorter ramp that means you got to gun it as soon as you see the merger lane or you will not be at 100KPH when merging which will cause you to fail or lose points.
After you get off this highway you pretty much do parallel parking, no matter what location you go you must do this, so make sure you practice this.
Then a 3 point turn, then either one of these 3 Downhill, Uphill or emergency parking. For my test I was asked to do an emergency park. MAKE SURE you use your signals and check mirrors, blind spots when doing any of these.
This was pretty much the last thing on my test then we went back to the test center and I was asked to park anywhere, at this point I knew I passed.

The main things to look out for and tips for no matter what location you go to are
1 Speed, make sure your below or close to, not over or too much below. This matters the most on the highway part.
2 Parking for sure the parallel parking part is most important
3 Checking blind spots, mirrors and signalling whenever you're suppose to, esp when doing the parking and lane changes or highway mergers.
4 Coming to a full stop at a red light or stop sign and waiting for 3 seconds.
5 Keep your eyes and head moving to show the tester that you're always checking your surrounding, esp when near schools.
6 Make sure you keep a safe distance when driving or parking behind other cars, you will lose points or even fail if you are tail gating.
7 Keep both hands on the wheel, driving with only one hand will cost you points and if you do it too much you will fail.
8 Make sure to go a head at least an hour or 2 before your exam and get used to the area around the test center, see what the roads are, what are the speed limits, the local traffic, getting yourself used to the area will take a lot of pressure away from you
9 Stay clam and relax, be confident you're more likely to pass if you have a cool head.
10 Hiring a good driving instructor is a definite bonus and they can really teach you a ton of things that will make your testing experience a lot easier, also using a driving school car normally makes other drivers on the road more forgiving toward you and less likely to rage and honk you. Also when the testers see you show up in a reputable driving school car they are more likely to pass you because they know you are well trained. I went with Kuma of A+ driving school at Kennedy and Ellesmere in Scarborough if you're looking for a great school I would recommend them.
11 Say a prayer to God, I know people think its crazy but trust me if you believe he will guide your journey and watch over you, you can't fail with him watching your back!

Either way, good luck and all the best with your exam.

Last edited:
I just failed my first attempt at my G road test in Oakville. The testing instructor made me drive around a little in the area, what surprised me was that she kept telling me to change lanes to the left and back to the right multiple times when driving even when there was no need. She made me go into a residential area and do a Road Side Stop & a Three-Point Turn. Then she made me get on the highway (403 westbound) change lanes to the left then back to the right and exit at the next exit, Then get on the highway (QEW Toronto) change lanes left then back right and exit again. When I got back to the license centre I had to back in. The mistakes I made were
a) hit the curb going back on my three-point turn
b) went 10 km over for a minute or two on bronte rd.
c) merged onto the first highway at 70 km (speed limit 100)
d) merged onto the second highway at 85 km (speed limit 100)
e) changed lanes on the highway at 90 km (speed limit 100)

Be very careful with your speeds as this is what I failed on. She told me it is better to go over the speed limit on a highway to pass a car when changing lanes than to go under the speed limit and let the car pass you. ( this was counter intuitive for me because the car in the next lane was right beside me and was a huge transport truck, so I thought it'd be better to let it pass )
Also it is very hard because you have to get on and get off right at the next exit, which are pretty close on the highways she made me go on, you have maybe 1 or 2 minutes to make two lane changes so you don't have time to wait for a good opportunity like you normally would when you are driving on the highway for a while.

I failed my G Road Test in Orangeville. I thought I did everything right except for 30 seconds of forgetting to turn off my hazard light. The white fat and tall examiner instructed me to do an emergency stop. I turned on the hazard light by pressing the foot hazard control and forgeting to turn it off after instructing me immediately to do 3 point turn. I was able to turn off my hazard light after 30 seconds or so after being aware of it still being on.

I kept on driving as properly as possible signaling, mirror, checking blindspot and moving my head L and R before each intersection. Observing the right of way. Nevertheless, the examiner failed me by saying because of observational skills. I swear he didnt even stay in his seat to fully explain to me the errors. He didnt even show nor give me the checklist for me to study my weaknesses.

I don't know if there's a truth behind descrimation of Asians, Desi (women in particular) or LGBTs. By the way I'm transman. I haven't changed my first name yet, although I got my mask on. I could still pass as a guy.

I know Orangeville got a lesser percentage of failing rate compared to other Driving Centers but be wary of those racists and not fair examiners.

In addition to that, there was also a long line of passers that day. I dunno of they already reach their quota for passing G student drivers.

Don't take my word for it. This is just my experience.

Instead of fat shaming, race baiting and suggesting transphobia, maybe consider that you earned that fail?
Maybe. I don't have any problems of learning from past mistakes and accepting failures. If my instructor haven't been noticing that examiner for notoriously failing most of his students without properly going over what the specific errors were. I prompted to describe the examiner's physical traits for other would road-exam takers to identify him on the onset of the exam.

Now, I'm still guessing how and where did I commit the said lack of observational skills. How can I possibly know what to work on without going over the checklist. It was not an automatic fail. Therefore I should've been advised about how many errors I got. I study and practice every do's and don'ts as a habit.

As I've mentioned... it was my experience. Others may do better. This is just a reminder how sometimes inconsistent The bureaucracy works.

Maybe. I don't have any problems of learning from past mistakes and accepting failures. If my instructor haven't been noticing that examiner for notoriously failing most of his students without properly going over what the specific errors were. I prompted to describe the examiner's physical traits for other would road-exam takers to identify him on the onset of the exam.

In so far as the examiner's appearance is relevant; (only if he was unfair to you, which you're not actually clear on), there are nicer ways to provide that description. It sounded pejorative.

Now, I'm still guessing how and where did I commit the said lack of observational skills. How can I possibly know what to work on without going over the checklist. It was not an automatic fail. Therefore I should've been advised about how many errors I got. I study and practice every do's and don'ts as a habit.

As I've mentioned... it was my experience. Others may do better. This is just a reminder how sometimes inconsistent The bureaucracy works.

You are entitled to a copy of your score sheet; but you have to request it.

Its not automatic.

In general, while some testers are nice than others and more/less outgoing, most are not going to detail to you how you did.

If you didn't get driver training from a proper instructor, I would suggest you do so.

Regardless, you should ask for a copy of your score sheet.

Note, these are the test components in the guide, but testers have some discretion.

The G road test comprises of basic city driving skills and more advanced skills. Here is what you will be tested on :
  • Starting and stopping.
  • Turning and changing directions.
  • Traffic signs and lights.
  • Passing vehicles, proper lane use, and driving in passing lanes.
  • Travelling through controlled and uncontrolled intersections.
  • Parking, reversing, and three-point turns.
  • Proper observation, foreseeing hazardous conditions, and blind spot checks.
  • Road side stop.
  • Parallel parking.

One more note...........'what foot hazard control'????

That sounds like you used the parking/emergency brake to come to a stop.

That would be an unusual move.

But leaving it on after would, I suspect, be an automatic fail.

A car w/that brake on would drive very differently, not well and it would be highly noticeable

Just a thought. .

Last edited:
I'll be generous and chalk that post up to sour grapes and deflection, but I, too, am curious what a "foot hazard control" is. Having driven just about anything excluding Class A, I've never seen or heard of such a beast.

I noticed through this thread the preference for recommending travel to rural examination centres, and have seen it at some locations (evidenced by the markings on the out-of-town driving school vehicles who do it for a fee). A big part of me is convinced that this is reflected in the generally poor quality of drivers in dense urban/high-speed freeway environments.

In so far as the examiner's appearance is relevant; (only if he was unfair to you, which you're not actually clear on), there are nicer ways to provide that description. It sounded pejorative.

You are entitled to a copy of your score sheet; but you have to request it.

Its not automatic.

In general, while some testers are nice than others and more/less outgoing, most are not going to detail to you how you did.

If you didn't get driver training from a proper instructor, I would suggest you do so.

Regardless, you should ask for a copy of your score sheet.

Note, these are the test components in the guide, but testers have some discretion.

The G road test comprises of basic city driving skills and more advanced skills. Here is what you will be tested on :
  • Starting and stopping.
  • Turning and changing directions.
  • Traffic signs and lights.
  • Passing vehicles, proper lane use, and driving in passing lanes.
  • Travelling through controlled and uncontrolled intersections.
  • Parking, reversing, and three-point turns.
  • Proper observation, foreseeing hazardous conditions, and blind spot checks.
  • Road side stop.
  • Parallel parking.

One more note...........'what foot hazard control'????

That sounds like you used the parking/emergency brake to come to a stop.

That would be an unusual move.

But leaving it on after would, I suspect, be an automatic fail.

A car w/that brake on would drive very differently, not well and it would be highly noticeable

Just a thought. .
I was asked to do an emergency stop. So I turned my right signal, center mirror, shoulder checked, pulled over carefully without hitting the curb, stopped, instead of pulling up the hand parking break that's usually in the middle of seats that needs to be pulled up, the car that I used was a hybrid that uses foot to set up the parking brake.

I did study from a certified driving school before and my driving instructor who took me to the G road exam has a high passing rate. I've been practicing G for over 40 hours with different driving instructor. I spent driving 20 hours using the car that I took on the G road test. It was my first time to fail G.

I'm just hoping Drive Centers should also be transparent with the results and take time to review to the students in what areas to improve on. Instead of just saying a vague generalized reason for the fail. I know putting up video recorders for the G Road exams are not allowed. So therefore, contesting for the an erroneous verdict would be futile. It will always be the examiner's word against the student's.

I'm not saying all examiners and drive centers are inconsistent, unfair and biased. But sometimes it's hard to fathom why good drivers are still failing versus bad drivers who are passing inspite of recklessness and lack of skills.

Again, I don't mean to mock the examiner's appearance. I was not able to get his name. So, the best way for others to know him instantly is through his obvious distinctive look. White Caucasian male, Over 6 feet in height and heavier built.
I may be swallowing a bitter pill right now. But I felt that I didn't deserve to be left out without the proper review on the test, for him to justify his claim that I did not meet the quality standards for passing the G Road Exam.

My apologies for the term foot hazard control. What I meant was I forgot to turn off the hazard button in the middle, for 30 seconds.
He immediately asked me to do a 3 point turn right after the emergency stop.

Well, my truth is not everybody's truth. I'm just sharing what happened to me.

Anyways, KUDOS! to the unbiased examiners, honest drive centers and old and new good drivers. Keep it up!

To be fair to the examiner I just need a full copy of the assessment. Given that is justified. I will without second thoughts take back the things I said about failing. And I will apologize sincerely.

Is it possible to request it to be sent to my email address instead of going all the way to the drive center?

I don't criticize outer appearance. I'm not perfect as well. Describing the examiner is relevant for identification. For all we know he could be fair and good but was just in a hurry to go into details of what has transpired.

Back