News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

That's pretty sad, but just a sign of the times. Things are changing. The unfortunate part is that you have history being replaced with a stupid Ardene store!

Hey, tweenage girls need a place to be loud, obnoxious brats and spend their allowance on disposable plastic junk.

Funny thing is, a generation ago, it was the east side--the Sams/A&A side--of Yonge which had the "youth energy", and the west side which felt shabby by comparison. Now, it's vice versa: east side's deadsville w/the ghost of Sam, while west side got the mall retail like American Apparel/Le Chateau/Ardene.

Maybe Jane Creba epitomizes that generational frontier.

Indeed a sign of the times. I will be certain to visit some point soon to bid adieu. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much $$ I spent here in the mid-80's. I just loved the baseball game they had there.

Funny thing is, a generation ago, it was the east side--the Sams/A&A side--of Yonge which had the "youth energy", and the west side which felt shabby by comparison. Now, it's vice versa: east side's deadsville w/the ghost of Sam, while west side got the mall retail like American Apparel/Le Chateau/Ardene.

Maybe Jane Creba epitomizes that generational frontier.

Yes, the slow death of Sam's plus the 5 year dead zone created by the hoarding around the endlessly delayed TLS.

Foot Locker did represent a shift though—the vanquishment of the earlier Rock and Roll generation—represented by Sams/A&A’s—by the gangbangers…

MissHippyPS.jpg

Great news! Now the jane & finch crowd will now have to find somewhere else to loiter.

Hallelujah!! :)

The street corner has improved quite a bit in the last 3 years. Cleaner and better stores, great lighting, more police presence. The riff-raff have less places to hide, so they tend to stay away now. :)

Ya, casting away these 'seedy' joints where suburban kids come to play is such a brilliant idea. More bright, shiny spaces with exposed warehouse ceilings for endless orgies of recreational shopping to satisfy our hip, urban crowd is genius. Hopefully that sketchy wreck referred to as Queen West where those pesky buskers annoy good consumers will soon be paved over as well with a mile of beautiful, name brand shopping and eating opportunities.

Ya, casting away these 'seedy' joints where suburban kids come to play is such a brilliant idea. More bright, shiny spaces with exposed warehouse ceilings for endless orgies of recreational shopping to satisfy our hip, urban crowd is genius. Hopefully that sketchy wreck referred to as Queen West where those pesky buskers annoy good consumers will soon be paved over as well with a mile of beautiful, name brand shopping and eating opportunities.

I'm glad we're on the same page! ;)

Bring on the kids, families, and anyone else who will make the city a better place. I would much rather see kids and their parents then the social misfits that have plagued the area for decades.

Let's continue the progress! I can't wait for the brand named shops around the 506 treatment centre on Queen West near Spadina, the YMCA drop in about 20 steps away, and the Salvation Army in the lane-way across the street. These addicts have plagued this neighbourhood for way too long.

Poor drug addicts! After all, society did this to them. So we have a responsiblity to give them shelter and clothing, feed them, try and get them detoxed from whatever chemical dependency they have. We should also build more government offices to ensure they're getting all that they're entitled to and extend our hand for there should be no limit to our compassion and caring. A good friend is a cop near Barrie, they continue to give the local misfits one-way bus tickets to Toronto! No thanks. We need to fight back and encourage, welcome back families to downtown Toronto!

I can't wait for the tourists and good people to flood into Queen west of Spadina and the Yonge! Urban Outfitters is the second now next to American Apparel, many more are coming... :)

Hallelujah!! :)

The street corner has improved quite a bit in the last 3 years. Cleaner and better stores, great lighting, more police presence. The riff-raff have less places to hide, so they tend to stay away now. :)

Oh yeah, the "riff raff" definitely have fewer places to hide in these “newer†“better†stores with their “great†lighting. I remember so well going into those old dirty stores where the "riff raff" gathered in the gloom, brandishing shivs.

Its also totally COOL that there are more police around! I think it would be awesome if they had new tasers to go with their “downtown beatâ€!

c2_leopard21.jpg

There are some pretty ridiculous generalizations being made here. I've seen all kinds of people in the arcade having fun. I mean honestly, do people really think someone would travel all the way from Mississauga to go to an arcade when they could just go to Playdium? Why would a teenage suburbanite with a video game system want to go to an arcade at all, when it's probably not something they really grew up with in the first place?

I also find it funny that anyone that wears Hip Hop related clothing = bad.

I'm definitely going to miss that place. It was always fun to stop in once in a while for some old school arcade fun, especially with the older cabinets they had in the back. I still think there's something about playing games in an arcade you just can't get from playing at home, whether it's by yourself, with your friends or online.

The generalizations are all in fun of course. But you know where there's smoke, there's fire.

Like you all, I have my own ideals of what I think would make a great city. I see a lot of potential in Yonge/Dundas to be a place where families can go to. I love the new Toronto Life Centre, I hope the investment pays off. I was at Dundas Square today, it was a Bangladesh festival. To see families congregate like that in the city excites me. The city doesn't have to be just for singles, yuppies and people with problems.

The new Adidas store is awesome, as is the Extreme Fitness, the AMC and Jack Astors! Let's continue doing great things like this for Toronto! :)

I am also pretty jazzed that Ryerson University has plans for Sam the Record Man. It's only going to get better everyone.

I also find it funny that anyone that wears Hip Hop related clothing = bad.

I don't think anyone really believes that. Hip-hop clothing is fine for kids, but twenty-somethings may quickly realize that it doesn't jive well in the world when work, bills and kids start to come up.

Back