News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The city is planning to make a commuter rail line along this same corridor (going to the airport), which would be bookended by 2 southern LRT lines, so I think the south side would be pretty set for commuting into downtown for the time being . I like your idea for the CP rail yard tho, and they probably are gonna make a commuter rail station at Whyte Ave (if it happens).
This article is a bit dated now, but if it's still accurate and the newly passed city plan is similar to the draft which was referenced, then we likely won't see an LRT line going down Whyte Ave.

"The plan is undecided on what future transit technology will connect each centre. But for Whyte Avenue, it eliminated the planned LRT. The transit analysis showed a better bus system, with priority over private vehicles, could achieve 90 per cent of LRT benefits with less cost and disruption. Other bus-rapid transit or similar technologies are proposed for 23rd Avenue, Terwillegar Drive, 153 Avenue and other cross-town routes. Planners say a transit bridge at 87 Avenue over the North Saskatchewan River will eventually be needed to connect the centres at West Edmonton Mall and the University of Alberta directly. Rail or other rapid transit will be needed on the CP Rail right-of-way from Old Strathcona to the Edmonton International Airport, to relieve overcrowding on the Capital Line."

This article is a bit dated now, but if it's still accurate and the newly passed city plan is similar to the draft which was referenced, then we likely won't see an LRT line going down Whyte Ave.

"The plan is undecided on what future transit technology will connect each centre. But for Whyte Avenue, it eliminated the planned LRT. The transit analysis showed a better bus system, with priority over private vehicles, could achieve 90 per cent of LRT benefits with less cost and disruption. Other bus-rapid transit or similar technologies are proposed for 23rd Avenue, Terwillegar Drive, 153 Avenue and other cross-town routes. Planners say a transit bridge at 87 Avenue over the North Saskatchewan River will eventually be needed to connect the centres at West Edmonton Mall and the University of Alberta directly. Rail or other rapid transit will be needed on the CP Rail right-of-way from Old Strathcona to the Edmonton International Airport, to relieve overcrowding on the Capital Line."

Have there been any concrete commuter rail plans created, so to speak? Studies? Timelines? Tech discussions? Are we talking DMU's? EMU's? So curious... I fully support any type of Airport Express rail link from Grandin station ideally to YEG. I was reading through their master plan and saw that they plan on any future HSR/inter-model station to be built by the Fairfield Suites, South of Airport Road and west of The Outlets. It also outlines 4-5 potential LRT station sites within "Airport City" including a station at the terminal, one at the HSR site as described, one by Century Mile and a potential one near the Petro-Canada/Aurora... I hope we see this happen sooner rather than later especially if the city is really pushing for more industrial/logistical action on their property. That could be a lot of jobs on one busy site...

Project Update - April 2022​

• Construction for the rehabilitation section of the project, University Avenue to 80 Avenue, is expected to begin in early August
  • The reconstruction of 80 Avenue to 82 Avenue (Whyte Avenue) is scheduled to begin in 2023
Preliminary design (80-82 Ave)
Concept design (78-80 Ave)

Well that's always the problem, it is a fine balance between maintaining and improving things without disrupting the area too much. I'm not sure its one that the city gets right.

Its nice to have improved sidewalks and roads, but if there ends up being a bunch of empty store fronts due to prolonged construction (which often seems to go on longer than scheduled), like downtown I'm not sure how much we have gained.

I don't think the city takes small retail businesses seriously. They are at best an after thought or not thought about at all and then we wonder why there are so many empty spaces.

Monday June 12th
DSCN2826.JPG
DSCN2822.JPG
DSCN2821.JPG

it needs some GREEN, above all
I agree with that wholeheartedly. We can improve both Gateway and Calgary Trail by enlarging the sidewalks a little, and lining both sides of them with trees all the way from at least 34 St to Whyte Ave. That would make for a great first impression for anyone getting into the city, and make the area a little less unwalkable, especially considering all of the new business centres we're getting, maybe you could at least move between them with a little less hardship.

Tons of legal non-conforming uses in there now and so over 25-30 years things should improve.

Back