News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

$15M to renovate 210 units works out to only $71k/unit. Even if the real cost is more than that, no way CHC is going to get new construction built for a comparable price elsewhere in the city - seems like an obvious choice to do some lifecycle upgrades and maintain the housing for those who need it.

The shame of this is that a competent landlord would be doing the evaluation of options and decision-making while the building was still occupied, and if the building needs to be vacated, the eviction notices would be followed a couple weeks later by either renovation or demolition. In this case, it looks like the building is going to sit vacant for some significant period of time, despite CHC having 5+ years to arrive at a solution.
Frustrating that the organization can spend $380,750 / unit on new construction in Rundle, but can't come up with the $71k needed to maintain the homes we currently have.

A good portion of the bottom part of the building that used to have Anju in it has been fenced off. Is something happening with this property finally? Or is it just some site work/clean up?

Probably just minor site work or cleanup. The DP for the proposed residential project has long expired. There was talk of renovating the office building due to it being mostly vacant, but with the office vacancy so high, they probably shelved that as well.

Probably just minor site work or cleanup. The DP for the proposed residential project has long expired. There was talk of renovating the office building due to it being mostly vacant, but with the office vacancy so high, they probably shelved that as well.
I wonder if this could be one of those rumored office conversion projects that was teased as coming down the pipe?

I wonder if this could be one of those rumored office conversion projects that was teased as coming down the pipe?
The plan I had heard was from about 6 years ago or so. The building was almost empty, so they were going to renovate it (taking advantage of not disrupting tenants), and continue using for office, but the office market didn't rebound, and I'm guessing they scrapped the idea. There was even talk of putting a restaurant on the 10th floor.

If it's still empty, maybe a conversion makes the most sense.

Not sure if Grosvenor ended up selling that site or not, but I think that building is slated for demo given all of the water damage issues they had.

From my property map, could it be related to this special events tent (although, I doubt it):
1669153661353.png

The plan I had heard was from about 6 years ago or so. The building was almost empty, so they were going to renovate it (taking advantage of not disrupting tenants), and continue using for office, but the office market didn't rebound, and I'm guessing they scrapped the idea. There was even talk of putting a restaurant on the 10th floor.

If it's still empty, maybe a conversion makes the most sense.
Wasn’t the reason Anju closed because the landlord wasn’t willing to complete the required repairs (due to cost) following a winter water main break? I wonder if the landlord is finally making repairs because they haven’t been able to fill the space with another tenant.

Wasn’t the reason Anju closed because the landlord wasn’t willing to complete the required repairs (due to cost) following a winter water main break? I wonder if the landlord is finally making repairs because they haven’t been able to fill the space with another tenant.
Could be. I remember something about that, but don't remember the details.

Unrelated map comment/post, but the City recently redid their map page, and I noticed this map. Haven;t seen it before. I am not much of a 3D modeller, but this seems pretty neat:
This is awesome, the ability to open it in ArcGIS and use it with your proposed building geometry in 3D context will be super valuable. The details and scale aren't just limited to large downtown buildings either, so it'll give great resources to smaller scale projects and proposals.

1669224985054.png

A good portion of the bottom part of the building that used to have Anju in it has been fenced off. Is something happening with this property finally? Or is it just some site work/clean up?

Saw the fence on the weekend, but the fence was down this morning when I went past it.

Back