News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Noticed a construction fence around the building directly north of the Best Western Suites on 8th in the Beltline. Anyone know what is going on there?
Think that fencing has be up for quite awhile. Be nice if they did something with the site. It was a decent set of businesses before they shut down

Think that fencing has be up for quite awhile. Be nice if they did something with the site. It was a decent set of businesses before they shut down
Weird they would close down and fence it off only to leave it sit, and like you said the business were solid not to mention the building itself isn't very old. I hope it's a sign it's planned to go ahead sometime.

Shaganappi multi-family project
245.jpg

A friend was in ML yesterday and said there are new traffic lights on 34th. I'm interested to see how well that works out but haven't had a chance to check it out myself.

A friend was in ML yesterday and said there are new traffic lights on 34th. I'm interested to see how well that works out but haven't had a chance to check it out myself.
I am in the area regularly, for this phase of construction they have configured 33 / 34th to be single direction streets, with a few added lights at 20th / 34th Ave and 22nd / 34th Ave. After the initial adjustment I have found it actually flows a lot better than before and totally tamps down some of the loud chaos of 33rd during rush hour as it's only 1-way. The local facebook groups are riled up (change/construction is bad) but give it a week or two and people will adjust to the new normal as the signals and signage are refined.

Of course, the main gap is pedestrians - bunch of temporary sidewalks, random construction debris everywhere. The sidewalks are unfortunately even narrow compared to downtown, so every sign/debris is a obstacle that often requires walking into the roadway. Those new traffic signals clearly bias who's complained the most (i.e. local community driver advocates) - so give incredibly generous cycle times to the predominate vehicle direction, but don't extend the walk phase for the whole cycle. Advanced greens installed, but again not coordinated to walking cycle. The result is a lot of standing around and waiting at signals, with limited/no traffic except at rush hours.

Marda Loop isn't the middle of nowhere any more - there is a ton of foot traffic. So it's noticeable when you see an empty road with a 2 minute long signal phase and about 20 people and 5 strollers waiting at each intersection for a stream of cars that doesn't exist outside of rush hour.

One interesting thing to watch the Marda Loop Main Street project is the degree they get this walkability thing in the end product - despite it being a leading goal of the whole project. There's always risk that the loudest voices / internal biases water down the product - giving abit more back to parking lanes, more advanced green signals etc. The 17th Avenue SW Main Street is a failure in this regard, despite improving pedestrian experience being a goal and adding some planters and better lighting, it really didn't improve the pedestrian capacity and quality on the street. If anything it made it less convenient to walk with bizarre one-off ramp designs and preserving wide sweeping curves for right turning vehicles.

Back