News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Beyond the reasons listed here (relatively cheap and quick to develop, and small retail spaces sized for local businesses), I like these because they have a unique character to them. They are uniquely Marda Loop, which is something that neighbourhood needs after all the demolition and redevelopment.
It's a small trend, but Marda Loop is quite weird in this retail conversion thing by Calgary standards.

Here's a streetview from back in 2007, almost 20 years ago(!), notice the whole block had already been converted to retail. I don't know the local history enough to guess when they were first converted but probably a while before that.

I am also curious to understand the unique nature of 33/34 as twin main street type roads, it's pretty unusual. The development of Crowchild, the semi-gating of Upper Mount Royal as a wealthy enclave, the redevelopment of the military base - all played a role here likely. We don't see many of these "which street is the main street?" twin corridor things very often.

1725398846063.png

From 2024, much development and investment, many of the small former residential houses remain:
1725398877879.png

Leonard Group isn't breaking the mold here with their small-scale retail conversions and redevelopment, but is actually evolving and enhancing on an existing established trend in the area. Importantly, this next era of redevelopment has far more diversity of shops and retail offerings - actual food, wine bars, cafes etc. - so there's a both a broadening and deepening of Marda Loop as a retail destination.

I wonder how/if much time would be saved if they just fully closed sections and do the whole thing, then reopen as a final product? Granted timing is tricky as there's lots to do above and below grade - but seems to me half the work is shuffling things around to keep a lane open under all circumstances and putting up temporary stuff to just replace it later.

My thinking is more how to minimize people being upset about construction - if people are going to complain regardless, why not go for shorter, full closure rather than dragging things out? Perhaps what I am saying isn't possible or really that much more efficient?
The main problem is that this really strangles the businesses in and around fully closed sections, depending on the length of the closure. You need to keep blood flowing through the limb to keep it alive, not sure how long you can that flow off.

It's a small trend, but Marda Loop is quite weird in this retail conversion thing by Calgary standards.

Here's a streetview from back in 2007, almost 20 years ago(!), notice the whole block had already been converted to retail. I don't know the local history enough to guess when they were first converted but probably a while before that.

I am also curious to understand the unique nature of 33/34 as twin main street type roads, it's pretty unusual. The development of Crowchild, the semi-gating of Upper Mount Royal as a wealthy enclave, the redevelopment of the military base - all played a role here likely. We don't see many of these "which street is the main street?" twin corridor things very often.

View attachment 593548

34th had commercial first, and it was the street car route until 1948. The trolley bus, and later the diesel bus, went up 33rd instead, and commercial began to develop there also. Why switch the transit to 33rd? I think the idea was that 33rd had better prospects of extending further west to new communities, as 34th would run into the South Calgary reservoir, which is still under Richmond Green.

I didn’t know UMR has been partially gated! At what points and when did this happen?
I dont think it is, i cant think of any actual gates. But there are a few areas along 14th where you're not supposed to turn in at certain times of the day, mostly to stop people from commuting through the neighbourhood

I dont think it is, i cant think of any actual gates. But there are a few areas along 14th where you're not supposed to turn in at certain times of the day, mostly to stop people from commuting through the neighbourhood
I was being cheeky - the traffic calming from the 2000s combined with the inability to materially change the zoning that in-effect "gates off" the community from pass-through traffic. This has influenced the traffic patterns to the West and South of the community, including the evolution of the 33/34th Main Streets over the years.

I think long term I see Marda Loop-ification spreading north along 14 St SW, and south along 16 St SW (and then maybe doubling back west on 50 Ave SW), but nothing east of there.

Back