News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hi Haltcatchfire, as another person from the other forum let me just say that I hear you.

In regards to your question, yes that would be Union Square II

Beginners luck! Another development will be good for 1st. Hopefully the street level and retail is done well so as to help continue the feel of the street just a touch further.

Just looking through the building specific threads and wow Surrealplaces you've been busy with the camera! Thanks for the massive photo updates.

Union Square indeed. Welcome Halcatchfire!
First post. I'm coming over from that other Calgary construction forum some of you are familiar with, that has gone way beyond down hill. I've skimmed through the 49 pages first to get a lay of the land here and I'm pleased by how on topic you all keep here. Also recognize a few usernames or avatars from the past.

I saw some comments in my skimming of a rental named Underwood possibly starting construction this year. Anyone able to fill me in on which property this is slated for? Going to guess Union Square II.

Beginners luck! Another development will be good for 1st. Hopefully the street level and retail is done well so as to help continue the feel of the street just a touch further.

Just looking through the building specific threads and wow Surrealplaces you've been busy with the camera! Thanks for the massive photo updates.

Welcome :)

Gotta love today's cheap prices of film ;)

Surreal is a photo beast! We love him here! On that note, I'm hoping to get out this weekend and do a fairly substantial update. My first since becoming a daily contributor to this forum.

So, finally something of interest to us (well, in my opinion anyways) skyscraper enthusiasts at CPC next week, after a bit of a drought. Item 5.05, the land use redesignation of an old set of townhouses next to Dalhousie LRT Station. Starting on page 147.

This looks like it has been a bit of a contentious application with the neighbours. The City has had quite an engagement program with it, including a dedicated website seen here:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...nd-Use-Redesignation.aspx?redirect=/dalhousie

It is a pretty big boost in density, but in my opinion is a great fit.

So, finally something of interest to us (well, in my opinion anyways) skyscraper enthusiasts at CPC next week, after a bit of a drought. Item 5.05, the land use redesignation of an old set of townhouses next to Dalhousie LRT Station. Starting on page 147.

This looks like it has been a bit of a contentious application with the neighbours. The City has had quite an engagement program with it, including a dedicated website seen here:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...nd-Use-Redesignation.aspx?redirect=/dalhousie

It is a pretty big boost in density, but in my opinion is a great fit.

Agreed. IIRC they were looking for some pretty good heights with one of the towers being 100m. It's the perfect place for more density.

Edit: Just looked at the webpage and I see that the max for the parcel closest to the LRT station is now 75m. They must've tweaked it a bit.

Last edited:
One of the new buildings in the Stampede youth campus.
20170318_172727_resized.jpg
20170318_172648_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20170318_172648_resized.jpg
    20170318_172648_resized.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 236
  • 20170318_172727_resized.jpg
    20170318_172727_resized.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 171
Does anyone know if they are planning any buildings to the west of that one? Or is it going to become parking lot?

I take it the one under construction right now is the Junior High School? It'll be nice when they fill in all that open space.

I take it the one under construction right now is the Junior High School? It'll be nice when they fill in all that open space.

Yes, it's the Junior High, both it and the TransAlta Centre were existing buildings that have been gutted and expanded. There is a building where the SAM is shown on the map right now that looks nothing like that so I would assume that it'll be the next building to get underway.

mcCapture.PNG
So MacKimmie Tower and Block redevelopment was funded in the provincial budget last week. $250 million+

The image comes from the 2010 Concept Design Report, and has probably changed greatly as there has been another year of planning with major funding, planned uses have changed a fair bit, and that the outside never had a real render. Report Link Info on the buildings

Attachments

• mcCapture.PNG
    mcCapture.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 486
Nice! Looks fairly conceptual, but if it turns out looking anything like it, it'll be good. Definitely an improvement over the current design.

Back