News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The former M-Tech building on MacLeod and 14ave is fenced off and they are digging up the parking lot, anyone know what this is about? Want to say I heard something about it on here, but can't quite recall...
According to DMAP there was a DP released for addition of child care service, elevated outdoor play area and covered parking along with changes to waste and recycling services on site. So maybe they are replacing the parking lot with structured parking with the play area on top of it?

Yeah there’s a billboard about the M-Tech building development near Nest I think. It’s basically gonna be some kind of new age Montessori school.

Mission Bridge and retaining wall rehab project.

1F6550B0-E98A-48D0-A6B6-82A70EB982D9.jpeg
D7A2751B-335E-496D-8097-2A9D29DD069B.jpeg

Marda Loop is an absolute nightmare to walk around right now. They've now ripped up the South side of 34th Ave between 17th and 20th street and there is a single narrow lane carrying the cars (which will be frustrated by 22nd Street now being closed off) through on a single lane. This makes the North side quite dangerous to walk on as you're getting real close to traffic.

I should add that despite the construction, Avitus was packed (with a lineup), and Marda Loop Brewing and Original Joe's patios were around 80% full. Even the new gelato place that opened this week had a couple people in it. So people are doing what they can to support local throughout.

Last edited:
Marda Loop is an absolute nightmare to walk around right now. They've now ripped up the South side of 34th Ave between 17th and 20th street and there is a single narrow lane carrying the cars (which will be frustrated by 22nd Street now being closed off) through on a single lane. This makes the North side quite dangerous to walk on as you're getting real close to traffic.

I should add that despite the construction, Avitus was packed (with a lineup), and Marda Loop Brewing and Original Joe's patios were around 80% full. Even the new gelato place that opened this week had a couple people in it. So people are doing what they can to support local throughout.
I wonder how/if much time would be saved if they just fully closed sections and do the whole thing, then reopen as a final product? Granted timing is tricky as there's lots to do above and below grade - but seems to me half the work is shuffling things around to keep a lane open under all circumstances and putting up temporary stuff to just replace it later.

My thinking is more how to minimize people being upset about construction - if people are going to complain regardless, why not go for shorter, full closure rather than dragging things out? Perhaps what I am saying isn't possible or really that much more efficient?

My thinking is more how to minimize people being upset about construction - if people are going to complain regardless, why not go for shorter, full closure rather than dragging things out? Perhaps what I am saying isn't possible or really that much more efficient?
Sure, you can do things faster with more inconvenience and more money. You have to think about it from a sub trade/sub sub contractor example.

Imagine you have a required step that needs to be done after step 5 and before step 7. For exclusive full shutdown site access, it requires 24 hours of good weather, and 24 hours on either side to prep everything needed to site, and 24 hours to remove everything from site after. It requires all your crews to concentrate on a single site for those 72 hours.

So, the city builds a tight schedule of 3 weeks for a full shutdown.

What does this mean for the contractor? They have to price in the risk that step 1,2,3,4 and 5 are not completed on time. They have to price in the risk that the weather isn't good. And since they need the full crew, they have to price in the opportunity cost of not doing other work from the first possible day of work, to lets say, 15 days later.

So the city ends up paying for 15 days of a crew to do 3 days of work.

In the alternative scenario, the company is given 2 weeks to complete their work, and a window of 2 months when they can expect to be completing it. They aren't required to show up on a given day, nor are they required to stop other work to surge onto the city project.

Under this scenario, even though it is the same amount of work, the flexibility allows the company to only plan for 3 days worth of total crew time.

So.

Does the city decide to spend 5 times as much to save time? Will the same people then try to kill the project due to cost? Will the higher cost generate more political pain city wide than construction disruptions? Will both contractor capacity and the cost mean the city gets a lot less stuff done despite spending way more?

Sure, you can do things faster with more inconvenience and more money. You have to think about it from a sub trade/sub sub contractor example.

Imagine you have a required step that needs to be done after step 5 and before step 7. For exclusive full shutdown site access, it requires 24 hours of good weather, and 24 hours on either side to prep everything needed to site, and 24 hours to remove everything from site after. It requires all your crews to concentrate on a single site for those 72 hours.

So, the city builds a tight schedule of 3 weeks for a full shutdown.

What does this mean for the contractor? They have to price in the risk that step 1,2,3,4 and 5 are not completed on time. They have to price in the risk that the weather isn't good. And since they need the full crew, they have to price in the opportunity cost of not doing other work from the first possible day of work, to lets say, 15 days later.

So the city ends up paying for 15 days of a crew to do 3 days of work.

In the alternative scenario, the company is given 2 weeks to complete their work, and a window of 2 months when they can expect to be completing it. They aren't required to show up on a given day, nor are they required to stop other work to surge onto the city project.

Under this scenario, even though it is the same amount of work, the flexibility allows the company to only plan for 3 days worth of total crew time.

So.

Does the city decide to spend 5 times as much to save time? Will the same people then try to kill the project due to cost? Will the higher cost generate more political pain city wide than construction disruptions? Will both contractor capacity and the cost mean the city gets a lot less stuff done despite spending way more?
Thanks @darwink this was a great walkthrough on the factors involved.

Back