News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can anyone recommend a slush/rust-proof bike (i.e. sealed drivetrain)? My winter ride gets a beating and I'm tired of replacing the drivetrain every few years!

Anything that meets your requirements is probably so expensive that you wouldn't want to ride it in winter anyways. Semi-disposable winter beaters are unfortunately the way to go.

Public Works committee has just finished their debate on the Bloor St bike lanes. Now it goes to council for a final vote in their next meeting, with no recommendation from committee.

What bikes do you guys ride? I've got an old mountain bike I bought in the late 1980s. I've been looking at the Linus Roadster, and like the idea of the internal hub gearing. I definitely like the upright position my wife has on her Linus Dutchie.

http://www.linusbike.com/collections/bikes-roadster-sport-roadster-8

Can anyone recommend a slush/rust-proof bike (i.e. sealed drivetrain)? My winter ride gets a beating and I'm tired of replacing the drivetrain every few years!

AB, I ride a single speed Dutch bike bought on the other side of the Atlantic for about C$50. It's 40 years old and I've owned it for 4. I ride daily, often in winter as well. Best part is the enclosed crankcase. Yes, it's a step through ("ladies") model.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 193
I plan to have a story written about the Bloor proposal later today, and I plan to revisit it when the council vote itself takes place next week.

I watched part of the committee hearing today, and was reminded how skeptical I am we'll see any marked progress on the cycling infrastructure front in this city until the composition of that committee is changed dramatically. There was some real flat earther stuff coming from the councillors.

I watched part of the committee hearing today, and was reminded how skeptical I am we'll see any marked progress on the cycling infrastructure front in this city until the composition of that committee is changed dramatically. There was some real flat earther stuff coming from the councillors.

Which was not surprising given that the committee is stacked with suburban motorheads, with no representation from downtown.

Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 4.37.44 PM.png

photo by Shon Tron

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 4.37.44 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 4.37.44 PM.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 492
Which was not surprising given that the committee is stacked with suburban motorheads, with no representation from downtown.

View attachment 73845
photo by Shon Tron

Right. Worst part (and there was much from which to choose) was Perruzza complaining that it seemed this pilot was designed primarily to service the people who use the route most frequently for a variety of uses, and not auto commuters from the west end. Sigh.

See this link for
Bike theft: Here are the worst streets for locking up your bike in Toronto
A Star analysis of bike thefts reveals the downtown core to be a den of bicycle thefts, with several hotspots.

Has anyone tried out those GPS bike trackers? Like this one, at this link? One hides a GPS tracker inside the bike frame and we are supposed to be able to find and retrieve your own bike back using an app on your smartphone.

Something similar.

Right. Worst part (and there was much from which to choose) was Perruzza complaining that it seemed this pilot was designed primarily to service the people who use the route most frequently for a variety of uses, and not auto commuters from the west end. Sigh.

I'm pretty sure that was Holyday.

It is really hard for me to believe that these so-called separated bike lanes are significantly safer than regular bike lanes. According to Toronto Public Health the latter are more or less as dangerous as no bike lane at all, i.e. very dangerous. The Toronto Public Health had "no data" on separated bike lanes. It is really hard for me to believe that these are safe, given that there constantly cars and trucks parked in them, there are streetcar tracks on Richmond/Adelaide, and there are various construction sites blocking them.

There have been three bike accidents today according to the Toronto Police Twitter account: Bay and Richmond, Passmore and Midland, Yonge and Jackes. The first one is at an intersection of a road that has separated bike lanes.

The Bloor bike lane is just a bad idea of Joe Cressy and Mike Layton. There is a perfectly good subway line along Bloor Street and taking it is far far safer than riding a bike along Bloor Street, with or without bike lanes. Also I can't believe that local businesses are going to be very happy about removing car parking.

Back