News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Must actually use bicycles if going to create rules on bicycles. Must actually use public transit is going to create rules or budgets for public transit.

In the good news file: PWIC passed the new bike lanes for Woodbine Avenue today.

They still have to get past council, but looking positive.

They should definitely bring back the Pharmacy bike lane. It was pretty brilliant, and is desperately needed as a safe N/S bike corridor through that area of the city. Perfectly situated between Vic Park and Warden, but was hardly given a chance before it was removed. But I'm wondering if bike lanes are added to Woodbine, is it possible that they'll add them to O'Connor as well? Perhaps they could connect it with a re-activated Pharmacy lane to create a proper network.

Must actually use bicycles if going to create rules on bicycles. Must actually use public transit is going to create rules or budgets for public transit.

Normally people complain when only bankers are allowed to create rules governing banks, and only oil executives create rules governing oil extraction :)

Real-life experience certainly needs to be a part of the equation but I don't think it's the whole thing.

Normally people complain when only bankers are allowed to create rules governing banks, and only oil executives create rules governing oil extraction :)

Real-life experience certainly needs to be a part of the equation but I don't think it's the whole thing.

Change that to "users" of the facilities. If you "use" a bank... If you "use" a bike...

In the good news file: PWIC passed the new bike lanes for Woodbine Avenue today.

They still have to get past council, but looking positive.

And kudos to the local BIA for getting it right.

“Our membership voted unanimously in favour of this,” said Phil Pothen of the Woodbine Heights Association. “We support this not just because it will promote cycling safety but it will go a long way to ameliorating the injuries on our once healthy commercial strip by bad traffic and land-use decisions.”

Pothen noted that the fast-moving car traffic on Woodbine is a discouragement to locals who want to walk to stores, and doesn’t in itself contribute much to the customer base. Pothen said that cyclists would be more likely to stop at local stores, and also be less unnerved by long gaps between businesses on the partially residential street.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...s-may-be-coming-to-toronto-s-woodbine-avenue/

These councillors want to take 2 lanes away from Woodbine Avenue, a very busy road which is an extension of Lake Shore Boulevard, for a mere "150-200 bicyclists a day" (it says right in the report). So if city council is crazy enough to do this, I guarantee there will be huge traffic jams in rush hour and this will get taken out a few years from now, while the bike lane will be almost entirely empty. This is Jarvis Street all over again.

These councillors want to take 2 lanes away from Woodbine Avenue, a very busy road which is an extension of Lake Shore Boulevard, for a mere "150-200 bicyclists a day" (it says right in the report). So if city council is crazy enough to do this, I guarantee there will be huge traffic jams in rush hour and this will get taken out a few years from now, while the bike lane will be almost entirely empty. This is Jarvis Street all over again.
Why do you think the needs of people outside the area trying to find a quicker way home are more important than the people living in this area?

Why do you think the needs of people outside the area trying to find a quicker way home are more important than the people living in this area?
Because the car is God...

And kudos to the local BIA for getting it right.
Totally agreed, and that's what will make or break the Bloor experiment, although I hope the BIA there speak-up before the experiment is even over to get it done right.

Last edited:
There are also bus routes 91, 92 and 93, which carry far more than 200 people a day and would be stuck in traffic because of this.

Back