News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Multi-use trails are generally fine for regular commuting or recreational cycling - it's the roadies racing along it that are the problem -- if they can't keep it below 20 km/h, they need to take Lake Shore Blvd. That said, I try to avoid riding the Martin Goodman trail on weekends after 11AM or so, just because it gets too busy. Having a pedestrian-only boardwalk helps, but it's not enough in the Humber Bay area or the Beaches.

I ride for fun, and for distance, but not for speed. I really hate being nearly clipped by an impatient spandex-clad man on a $5000 bike when riding along the waterfront. That's the only complaint when I ride out there -- people enjoying the parks don't bother me, and I'll happily slow down if I see any children ahead of me.

Multi-use trails are generally fine for regular commuting or recreational cycling - it's the roadies racing along it that are the problem -- if they can't keep it below 20 km/h, they need to take Lake Shore Blvd. That said, I try to avoid riding the Martin Goodman trail on weekends after 11AM or so, just because it gets too busy. Having a pedestrian-only boardwalk helps, but it's not enough in the Humber Bay area or the Beaches.

I ride for fun, and for distance, but not for speed. I really hate being nearly clipped by an impatient spandex-clad man on a $5000 bike when riding along the waterfront. That's the only complaint when I ride out there -- people enjoying the parks don't bother me, and I'll happily slow down if I see any children ahead of me.
I agree with every point, save that delineation of 'road' (or 'path') etiquette appears to be necessary. Blind curves are a real problem (the south end of the Humber Trail just north of the Queensway is a critical example) where 'driving' protocol should be observed. 'Honk your horn' (ring your bell or yell) should be obvious to most cyclists going around that hairpin turn, very few do it. The Don Valley Trail (the CP underpass is now being replaced) has a few of them, but the CP bridge had a notice each end to ring the bell. Many went flying blind through there anyway. You can't instruct against stupidity.

But on the busy shared use trails, clearer protocol must be posted, and an obvious one that many cyclists and pedestrians alike fail is "keep to the right". Go as slow as you like, but don't make everyone else do same. It applies on roads, it applies on sidewalks for other pedestrians, it applies on paths. Put the "share" in "shared use". It also applies to dedicated cycling lanes, many of which, like Bloor, are real chokepoints. If you are travelling slow through there, keep to the right as far as possible to allow others going a normal pace to pass.

And road warriors are a special breed of ignorance. Don't get me started on that one...

Last edited:

Which is the approach you need. It's a cycling trail, not a road. Don't treat it as such.

You see similar complaints about thw queens quay lanes, as they aren't "fast" enough. People are used to having to bike fast to keep up with cars, and don't know how to slow down when proper infrastructure is finally provided. You don't need to maintain a 40km/h speed on a bike, casual cycling is closer to 12-15km/h, and much more compatible with these trails and their various users.

Which is the approach you need. It's a cycling trail, not a road. Don't treat it as such.

You see similar complaints about thw queens quay lanes, as they aren't "fast" enough. People are used to having to bike fast to keep up with cars, and don't know how to slow down when proper infrastructure is finally provided. You don't need to maintain a 40km/h speed on a bike, casual cycling is closer to 12-15km/h, and much more compatible with these trails and their various users.
You completely miss the point. This isn't about speed. It's about blocking the use for others. Pedestrians or cyclists.

Toronto Multi-Use Trail Design Guidelines
Toronto Multi-Use Trail Design Guidelines
DESIGNATION SYMBOLS
Designation symbols typically communicate shared-use,
or single use. At minimum, designation symbols should
be placed at the beginning of a trail, the entrance to any
stage of a crossing, and shortly after a crossing. They can
also be placed at intervals along the length of a trail to
remind trail users to keep to the right. Directional arrows
are used in conjunction with designation symbols in most
situations except for at crossings
[...]
7.6. Passing Areas
Passing areas are simply widened parts of a trail,
continuous with the trail surface. They are located
strategically at areas where slower users can move
aside (to the right) and allow faster users to pass on
their left. The minimum widening should be 0.3 metres
on each side of the trail, and should be increased to
accommodate higher use or higher levels of potential or
reported conflicts. Passing areas should be at least five
to ten metres long, and should be signed with an info
sign placed adjacent to the start of the widened part of
the trail.
Passing areas should be implemented in the following
situations:

where trails intersect or merge, leading to a localized
area of high use;

on slopes;

in areas of restricted visibility such as densely
vegetated areas or sharp curves in the trail;

intermittently through areas where trail widths are
less than desired; and/or

adjacent to, or occasionally in place of fully-developed
resting and viewing areas
[...]

https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Transportation Services/Cycling/Files/pdf/TORONTO MULTI-USE TRAIL DESIGN GUIDELINES-December 2014_Fina_4.pdf

Well since you put it that way, indeed "cycling trail" is a separate definition, and there's a lot of confusion for pedestrians and cyclists alike on the point. Queen's Quay, btw, *is not* a "shared path", there's a separate "trail" and "bike track":

upload_2017-5-1_11-48-47.png

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/pw/bgrd/backgroundfile-80108.pdf

Pic here:
IMG_20150620_103302.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-1_11-48-47.png
    upload_2017-5-1_11-48-47.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 323

Exactly. Too often, people accuse "all" or "most" cyclists of the bad behaviour of the select few on their $5K Pinarellos when the reality is most abide by the unwritten rules. As a non-wannabe Tour de France-r who uses the shared paths to commute and for leisure, I loathe the ones who try to set land speed records.

Whether the cycling aimed path (the other is the boardwalk, pedestrian only) to the east and west of the Humber Bay Bridge is a "cycle track" or not is a good question. The City has created a real muddle on this, but for Queen's Quay, the point is clear that it is:

Cycle Track FAQ

What is a Cycle Track?
Cycle Tracks are separate lanes for bicycles that are adjacent to the roadway, but separated from vehicular traffic. The first such lane has been installed on Sherbourne Street between Bloor and King Street.

Why is Toronto building cycle tracks?
Cycle tracks help to make the area for cycling that is more separate from motor vehicle traffic than a painted bicycle lane. This fosters and environment which is safer for cycling, and which encourage people who wish to ride their bicycles, but do not feel safe in regular traffic lanes or in painted bicycle lanes.

Will the Cycle Track be cleared of snow, and other debris such as glass?
The level of service for ploughing and sweeping will be similar to that of the rest of the roadway.

Should pedestrians walk or stand in the cycle track?
No. Pedestrians should only walk on the sidewalk, not on the cycle track. The cycle track is for cyclists only.

Should cyclists ride on the sidewalk?
No. Cyclists should not ride on city sidewalks. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

Are cycle tracks the same as multi-use park paths?
No. Multi-Use park paths are not part of a street. Cycle Tracks are part of the street. Multi-use paths are shared use facilities used by both pedestrians and cyclists in green spaces such as City parks. Cycle tracks in Toronto are built on roadways, next to sidewalks. Cycle Tracks are for cycling only and sidewalks are for pedestrians only.

Should people waiting for Transit vehicles stand in the cycle track?
No. Pedestrians should wait on the sidewalk, not in the cycle track, when waiting for a transit vehicle.

When a transit vehicle has stopped and opened its doors to pick up passengers, patrons should walk across the cycle track to board the transit vehicle.

When the doors of the transit vehicle are opened, cyclists must yield to these patrons, following the same protocol as when waiting for transit patrons to cross a curb lane to board a streetcar.

Should TTC Buses Stop in the Cycle Track, or regular Traffic Lane?
TTC Buses should stop in the regular traffic lane. Motor vehicles and cyclists must wait for TTC patrons to board the TTC vehicle before proceeding. When the doors of the TTC vehicle are open, cyclists must yield to these TTC patrons, following the same protocol as when waiting for TTC patrons to cross a curb lane to board a streetcar.

Why does the cycle track surface slope up and down TTC stops?
At TTC stops, the cycle track has been build to provide level boarding from the sidewalk, to the TTC vehicle.

Can emergency vehicles such as EMS or Fire Trucks stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track?
From time to time, an emergency vehicle may cross or occupy a cycle track when responding to an emergency situation.

Should taxi drivers stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track?Taxi drivers with regular patrons should not stop, park, or drive in the cycle track. Private vehicles under contract to WheelTrans may pick up or drop off persons with a disability by pulling into the cycle track.

Should private cars, trucks or SUVs stop, park or drive in the Cycle Track?

Private vehicles should not stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track.

Should delivery or courier vehicles stop, park or drive in the Cycle Track?

Private delivery vehicles should not stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track. Private delivery vehicles must find a legal parking spot near the cycling track which they can use to make their delivery.

Can E-Bikes drive in the Cycle Track?

In Toronto, only E-bikes which meet the City of Toronto definition of a "Pedalec" may be used in a Cycle Track. Learn more about the difference between a "Pedelec" and a "E-scooter" on the "Power Assisted Bicycles" webpage.

Who has the right of way at intersections? Bicycles riding across the intersection in the cycle track or right turning vehicles in the regular traffic lane?

Signs have been erected at intersections giving the cyclists in the cycle track the right of way. Motorists turning right at an intersection must carefully shoulder check for cyclists using the cycle track, before merging across the cycle track in order to make their right hand turn.

I want to ride more quickly than the cyclist in front of me, how do I pass slower cyclists now that a curb separates the cycle track from the other traffic lanes?

It is important to be respectful of all cyclists using the cycle track.If you are in a section of the cycle track where passing other cyclists is not possible, remember that there are many breaks in the cycle track's curb including intersections, driveways and other junctions where there is more space to pass.

When I'm passing a slower cyclist, how much space should I leave between me and the person I'm passing?

Please pass other cyclists only when the space between the widest point on your bike, and the widest point on the other person's bike (usually handle bar to handle bar) has a minimum of 10 inches to 1 foot clearance. Always pass on the left. It can be dangerous to pass a slower cyclist when you are travelling in close proximity.

How do I position myself in the cycle track, if the cycle track is busy and I know I will be passed by faster cyclists?

Slower cyclists are encouraged to comfortably position themselves to the RIGHT side of the cycle track, so that they may more easily be passed by faster cyclists on the LEFT.

Is there a polite way to let someone know that you will be passing them as you approach?

The standard practice for both mountain bikers and road cyclists to say "on your left", "rider left" or "passing left" as you approach the cyclist you will be passing. You don't need to shout, just politely alert them to your presence in a regular speaking voice. You can also use your bell to help make other riders you are approaching them from behind.

[continues...]
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=f97edd5e4cf12410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD#a04

Last edited:
Should be remembered that when the "rebuilt" the old Queen Street into The Queensway (especially around the Humber River), it was the 1950's. The 1950's saw the automobile as "the future", and pedestrians and bicyclists were last on the list of considerations, if at all.

See this link on What The Queensway used to look like in Toronto, around the 1950's.

20150606-Queensway-Crossing-1902.jpg

"A rare early photo of the Queensway, showing the railway level crossing west of the Humber River, north of Lake Shore Rd."

20150606-Queensway-Ellis-1900.jpg

"Looking north up Ellis Ave., west of Grenadier Pond, in 1900 before the area had been significantly altered from its natural state."

20150606-Queensway-Trench-1956.jpg

"The landscaping for the Queensway near High Park."

20150606-Queensway-Grenadier-1956.jpg

"Handing over a portion of High Park and Grenadier Pond for the Queensway was a controversial move. In his will, John G. Howard, the landowner, explicitly stated that no portion of his former estate was to be used for anything other than parkland."

20150606-Queensway-Construction-1956.jpg

"Demolition for construction of the Queensway west of King, Queen, and Roncesvalles. This picture was taken near Parkside Dr. (at the Indian Road fork), looking east to present-day St. Joseph's Health Centre, in 1956."

If they were to build The Queensway today, it would have to look much, much different and definitely more pedestrian and bicycle friendly.

I don't. I just don't like the ones who ruin it for others :) I see both spandex clad and commuters zooming past on busy paths.
I do too.

On our distance rides, we have some with $4K carbon frames, some with mountain bikes with road slicks, some with recent quality steel frame road bikes, and me with a fifty year old classic rebuilt many times. The only condition? Ride a bike that can allow you to do the distance at a reasonable pace to get to the lift the other end in time. (Other than a reasonable quality frame, it's mostly tire choice that makes it work on trails and back-roads)(typically, we do 100 km jaunts) Only one of them wears a canary outfit, but not with us (that would require wearing shades, white legs are bad enough) and that's when he's leading his racing group out of Guelph. All different types of cyclists, and now a lady friend is joining us next outing, she did a road trip from here to PEI and back. Hadn't seen her for four years when she lived at the end of my street in Guelph (UofG student), ran into her living a block from here near High Park just yesterday. Yes!

It's decorum that makes it work, (and water and laughter) and no-one dislikes anyone else.

Back