News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I'm a cyclist and I still get pissed off at stupid ones.

2eoyvld.gif

Imagine your intersection here. North is up.

When the light for northbound traffic turns red, cars of course stop. Pedestrians crossing the street W to E have a green light. Now out of nowhere, cyclists run the red since there is no traffic coming from their right so they think they're ok to keep going.

This situation happens to me every day at Queen & Niagara and often at "T" shaped intersections like Spadina @ Queen's Quay. One day I just had enough when this middle aged lady almost ironed me over. She stopped just in time as I jumped out of the way. In the heat of the moment, I called her every name in the dictionary from whore to bitch.

She rode off quietly. I regretted my cursing right away...

... but dammit! If you're on the road, you're a vehicle, follow the rules. And don't become a pedestrian all of a sudden so you can ride on cross walks when the light isn't in your favor. You need to get off the bike to become a pedestrian.

What about the intersections where cyclists need to cross with pedestrians because it is too dangerous for some to cross somewhere else.

I'm not saying what is happening is right, but bicycles are not cars, and there needs to be more of a middle ground including defined yield zones for cars to bicycles.

What about the intersections where cyclists need to cross with pedestrians because it is too dangerous for some to cross somewhere else.
How is that a problem to anyone; the cyclist dismounts, and walks across with the pedestrians?

I'm not unconvinced that the safest solution for eveyone is to simply ban bicycles from city streets. We could ban cars, but the bicycles would still be a danger to pedestrians.

Toronto isn't the only city trying to accommodate bicyclists and pedestrians. New York City is as well. This is the link to New York City's Street Design Manual.

The New York City Street Design Manual provides policies and design guidelines to city agencies, design professionals, private developers and community groups for the improvement of streets and sidewalks throughout the five boroughs.

You can download the entire 236 page PDF manual
(High Resolution: 198 MB)
(Low Resolution: 6.8 MB)

Quoting from the manual:

Design streets serving primarily local trips for slower speeds to reduce crashes and injuries and discourage cut–through traffic
Prioritize walking, bicycling, and transit by providing safe,
accessible, convenient, and comfortable facilities for these modes, particularly on designated routes and at critical network connections.

Accommodate truck traffic and deliveries while minimizing their negative impacts on neighborhoods

They are including Staten Island on the design, which would be the closest to the outer sections of Toronto. Sorry to the anti-bicyclists on Toronto council.

As I have advocated in several cycling related threads I think all cyclists in Toronto should be tested, and licensed if they pass the exam. This would create jobs and income for the City not to mention education that is sorely lacking. Police would issue tickets for any infractions just the same as for vehicles. It's a jungle out there, some civility is needed and this might just help.

Today the Toronto Star published an article touching on this idea

The case for testing and licensing cyclists

Aug 15, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (15)
Peter Gorrie

Bikes improve the environment and the health of those who ride them: Once built they create no pollution. Pedalling is good exercise. Downtown, at least, they're the quickest, most convenient way to get around.

I've cycled throughout the city, including daily commutes, for 25 years, with only two accidents: On one occasion I was doored by the driver of a parked car; on the other, my front wheel got caught in the streetcar tracks where King St. angles into Queen. I avoided becoming road kill only because no traffic was coming up close behind.

So I'm all for making things easier, and safer, for cyclists. I take heart whenever I encounter bike traffic jams here. I'd love it if Toronto's streets were like Beijing's rivers of two-wheelers 20 years ago.

Still, cyclists increasingly piss me off. I'm getting, pardon the pun, cranky about those who weave in and out of traffic, ignore signs and, worst of all, zip along sidewalks.

It was bad enough recently that some advocates insisted cyclists be allowed to ignore stop signs. Their arguments centred on the terrible hardship of losing momentum.

The clincher came, though, when a 56-year-old woman was struck and killed by a teenager pedalling along a Scarborough sidewalk.

Teens and adults aren't supposed to ride on Toronto sidewalks, but there's a flaw in the bylaw covering the issue. Designed to let kids stay out of traffic, it allows bikes on sidewalks if their wheels are less than 61 centimetres in diameter.

"The bylaw is based on wheel size," the city says, "because it is difficult for police to enforce age-based bylaws, as most children do not carry identification."

But many bikes ridden by teens and adults, including folding and BMX models – and some electric-assist versions – are small enough to be sidewalk legal: That was apparently the situation with the 15-year-old who hit and killed the woman. On top of that, many on bigger bikes simply ignore the bylaw.

The fine for violating the rule is $90, which means the life-threatening practice is, if enforced at all, treated as a minor misdemeanour.

City officials are to study the bylaw this fall and recommend changes.

But even if they make sidewalks safer for pedestrians, that's just part of the picture. I've come to the view that once you hit your teens, cycling on any public thoroughfare is, just like operating a motor vehicle, a privilege, not a right. I realize this is anathema to a free-spirited breed, but cyclists should be tested and licensed, and expected to obey the rules of the road, just like any driver. Past age 12 they should not be on sidewalks – period.

This would offer cyclists a few benefits, including acceptance they're entitled to be on the road; permitted, for example, to take enough space to avoid being hit by drivers who pull out or open their door without looking.

Obviously, responsible riding would make cyclists safer, since weaving through traffic, barging across lanes, running stop signs, crossing laneway and driveway exits on sidewalks, and running into people are all dangerous. Licensing might improve the tracing of stolen bikes.

If cyclists want to be taken seriously they must take themselves seriously. In return, they should be entitled to routes that are as safe as possible. Motorists should expect, and respect, their place in the traffic scheme of things. The city should create better conditions for them, pushing its bike plan out of low gear and adding more exclusive cycling lanes.

Then, nervous riders shouldn't feel compelled to flee to the illusory safety of the sidewalk.

Source

I love how much this one isolated death is a massive issue. Sure, there are bikers that need to know the rules of the road. But I'm sure that there's at least a hundred auto-related deaths per year in the GTA alone. But because of this one death, suddenly bikes are a massive problem that needs to be dealt with. I'm sure that statistically, your odds are about the same as getting hit by lightning. Actually, there were something like 5 people hit by lightning just last week, wasn't there!

Something needs to happen, but bike licenses just aren't the way to go. Bikes should be the encouraged mode of transportation. They're already cheap, easy to use, and are good for your health and the environment. Requiring licenses for bikes shouldn't be the solution. Instead, the city(ies) should be providing lessons to proper bike riding, so that adult bike riders can learn to bike better (encouraging less car use) and so that kids and teens can learn proper rules of the road.

Ticketing is also an option, and I think that police should be handing out more tickets to bad bikers. They should be lenient about it (based on age and the offense, just give a warning,) but cracking down on the bad bikers and maybe forcing them to take lessons on top of their fine would be a good alternative.

Just my thoughts.

EDIT: BIKE INFRASTRUCTURE! Don't tell people to get off the sidewalks when the only other option is to go on a road full of things that go twice as fast and weigh four times as much as you do. And I'm appalled at that police chief to tell people to switch to driving if they don't feel comfortable using a bike. The city is severely lacking in biking infrastructure. I wonder if he'd tell drivers to switch to bikes if the only car-sufficient roads were two dirt roads in the suburbs and 10 downtown ones :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Something needs to happen, but bike licenses just aren't the way to go. Bikes should be the encouraged mode of transportation. They're already cheap, easy to use, and are good for your health and the environment. Requiring licenses for bikes shouldn't be the solution. Instead, the city(ies) should be providing lessons to proper bike riding, so that adult bike riders can learn to bike better (encouraging less car use) and so that kids and teens can learn proper rules of the road.

When I was in elementery school we had Bike Day when we learnt about bike safety and got a licence at the end of the day with out picture on it and everything. It wasn't anything officially obviously, but maybe it's time we made bike safety education part of the school curriculum. Kids start riding bikes early, and it's best to start teaching them safety skills early on. Begin teaching them safety skills for the road as they grow old enough to take their bikes out into mixed traffic, etc.

Just as an aside, it always surprises me how many people forget the basic safety skills we were all taught in elementery school. For example, how many people forget about the walk-against-traffic rule when there's no sidewalk.

Kids start riding bikes early, and it's best to start teaching them safety skills early on. Begin teaching them safety skills for the road as they grow old enough to take their bikes out into mixed traffic, etc.

I totally agree. Another reason to teach kids how to ride bikes early on is to give them mobility. Teenagers want cars because they associate them with freedom from their parents and their boring suburban neighbourhoods. If you give them a bike at an early age then you can give them mobility and hopefully turn them away from a car-centric lifestyle.

When I was in elementery school we had Bike Day when we learnt about bike safety and got a licence at the end of the day with out picture on it and everything. It wasn't anything officially obviously, but maybe it's time we made bike safety education part of the school curriculum. Kids start riding bikes early, and it's best to start teaching them safety skills early on. Begin teaching them safety skills for the road as they grow old enough to take their bikes out into mixed traffic, etc.
This is a great idea that I'm actually surprised doesn't even seem to have been tried. Bike lessons in the curriculum for grade 4's or 5's, then a more advanced one for 7's and 8's would probably be the best way to both get bikes and bike safety into kid's minds. High School gym lessons could also be encouraged (or even required) to have a bike safety course. This would be amazingly good, as High School's the time most people should start biking on the road, and it's also the time that most kids get their driver's license. Show them how mobile they can be with a bike (at a fraction of the price of a car,) and they might not be so quick to buy into the car lifestyle.

As I said before though, bike-related courses should also be provided by cities to people of all ages through community programs.

Just as an aside, it always surprises me how many people forget the basic safety skills we were all taught in elementery school. For example, how many people forget about the walk-against-traffic rule when there's no sidewalk.
I remember that one! :p

Hmm, bike licenses by Toronto council? So when the cop asks for my bike license can I just say I'm from Hamilton, or I'm just a tourist from Ohio, so I don't have one?

Back