News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yeah, I agree that the free time should be 45 minutes like Montreal. A few weeks ago I was trying to get from Victoria Park Station to Bloor/Yonge and really had to rush to make it in 30 minutes. And that's only half the system size.

On the Caledon Trailway Friday, other than fighting a severe wind from the north getting up there, the trail was as superb as ever. It's short (35 kms) but a real treasure being so close to Toronto. Needless to say, the countryside is incredibly lush and green right now.

As a subjective count, there were twice as many users on the trail as I've typically seen before. (I do the trail every couple of weeks to keep in shape, mentally as well as physically, between longer jaunts) Most are still locals walking or cycling close to home, but met quite a few doing it for the distance. This bodes very well, and it pertains to all trails: Use them or lose them. (Some trails typically you only meet another cyclist every few kilometers. Doing the Peterborough to Uxbridge trail, it was less than that in the two times I've done it, albeit other than within a few built-up areas, it is mostly swamp and very isolated/inaccessible)

Stretches of the Caledon Trailway were resurfaced last year with the best quality of crushed limestone and put down thick by machine. It's still in very good shape this year, and very few, even rare unstable (loose/sandy) sections. It's a fast trail if you wish. The length can be done with stops at the small towns for drinks at a medium average pace in a couple of hours. And road tires are very usable on the trail, albeit larger section ones (25-28c) are preferable, even as they are on asphalt.

Highly recommended for a half day's ride (including GO to Bolton, and GO back in from Georgetown. The bus to catch the last train in from Mt Pleasant can be reached unless some major interruption occurs on the trail. If so, the bus can be taken all the way in instead of the transfer to train at Mt Pleasant, a huge time saver).

More details on request. I have a route that mostly avoids main roads to access the trail from GO both ends.

Star features this story today:
Not that surprising to those of us who cycle, but excellent to see TorStar still featuring the subject of 'Safe Streets' as an editorial theme.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree that the free time should be 45 minutes like Montreal. A few weeks ago I was trying to get from Victoria Park Station to Bloor/Yonge and really had to rush to make it in 30 minutes. And that's only half the system size.
30 probably made sense when the system was much smaller.

Probably should be changed.

30 probably made sense when the system was much smaller.

Probably should be changed.

Statistics on the number of joined trips (where a bike is docked and a different one used shortly after) would be interesting. These trips show a clear desire for a longer time-period. If they tend to make a single trip (go from A to X, then X to B rather than back to A) then a bump in the time allowance would probably be warranted.

Here's the danger of sharing a bus bike rack with strangers:

upload_2018-7-9_23-44-53.png

That happened in Kitchener today, after getting on a GRT bus to Elmira. Some Doofus and his junker flat bars with no end plugs did a number on my $200 saddle that I've just fully broken in after a year of intimate massaging.

On the upside: He didn't knock the front wheel quick-release loose which a lot of junker jackasses manage to do when loading and unloading. I use a velcro strip to strap the back rim to the rack. In some US jurisdictions, mostly the in the SW states, the velcro strip is permanently attached on the rack, and the use of it is mandatory under state highway laws. It is in Ontario too under a section of the HTA, but that's another story...

If that front wheel isn't clamped on because the QR is knocked loose, guess what's going to happen to the rest of bike unless it's secured, as the HTA requires, in a second spot.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-9_23-44-53.png
    upload_2018-7-9_23-44-53.png
    373.6 KB · Views: 529
I don't usually bike during rush hour, but had some errands to run today which were faster to do by bike so away I went. What a shit show. Came down Yonge from Bloor, which involved drivers trying to turn into me at almost every intersection since they were in a hurry. Then went east on King where there were constantly pedestrians crossing against green lights because they now expect no traffic on King Street (but don't bother to actually check for traffic before crossing). I called one lady an idiot as I swerved around her because she crossed in front of me while I had a green light at Church.

Then there was Lakeshore and Cherry...I was going south on Cherry when a cab who had a red light was looking at my signal for Cherry Street and thinking that he had right of way. He finally stopped when I yelled that he had a red light. On my way back up a TTC bus passed me with inches to spare at Yonge/Front. He basically squeezed me off the road since the bike lane ends there, and didn't save any time by making his dangerous manouvre since I passed him on the left while he was picking up passengers. I didn't understand why he couldn't just wait behind me since we would've both still made the light at Front.

Then I went west on Charles at Yonge cause I had to stop at a place on Avenue Road. A driver almost hit me as he made a right into a driveway without signalling. I would've waited behind him if he had signaled, but assumed we were both continuing west since he made no indication that he was turning. Lastly, Avenue Road was a disaster. There was tons of traffic north of Bloor, so drivers decided they'd make u-turns without checking for cyclists so that they could find a faster way home. I had to quickly swerve onto a side street to avoid getting hit by a u-turning vehicle.

I guess that's what Vision Zero looks like in this city.

^ Last few days have been especially bad in Toronto. I'm not ashamed to admit that "I lose my nerve" lately. It's not weakness, it's better sense affirming my need to survive. I've been hitting the rail trails to keep pumped and in touch with God. Toronto roads get you close to Satan.

To anyone cycling the Cambridge to Hamilton rail trail, there's a hazard beyond getting lost getting across Brantford to connect the trail ends together (do not trust any signs! Plot your route on a map and stick to it), and the section north of Brantford south of Paris was always poor, but now it's just plain dangerous. The trail crushed limestone has lost all its binder and/or clay, and only very loose stone lurks at every bend of this section:
upload_2018-7-20_0-53-39.png

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Br...3da5a5a466f9e0!8m2!3d43.1393867!4d-80.2644254

Be prepared to walk it, or better still, completely avoid it by resorting to on-street detouring.

The trail from Cambridge to Paris is as supreme as ever, it may be matched on some other trails (Elora to Cataract, Port Dover to Brantford, etc) in spots, but overall, unsurpassed.

The TH&B trail is in good shape from Brantford east, finding it is a challenge every time I go through Brantford though. Do not trust posted signs or well-meaning locals! Have a map, and have a route planned through Brantford. I spent yet another hour and a half getting through it, going in loops all over the place. It's interesting, but not when you have a destination with allotted time to get there in mind.

Cambridge to Paris never fails to be a visit with the Gods...

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-20_0-53-39.png
    upload_2018-7-20_0-53-39.png
    46 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
[QUOTE="LNahid2000, post: 1354361, member: 624" which involved drivers trying to turn into me at almost every intersection since they were in a hurry. [/QUOTE]

Just so you are aware (and I am a biker fyi) at intersections with no bike lane, or even a bike lane with dotted lines, (like here https://goo.gl/maps/6sZ5gyy8Vt82) turning cars have the right of way.

Meaning that if you are behind a car turning right as a biker, you have to either yield to the car, or go around it on the left.

Now, if its a solid line like this

https://goo.gl/maps/TUWV7vCb5FQ2

Then bikes have the right of way and cars have to yield.

All vehicles, including cyclists, must yield the right of way to traffic lawfully using the intersection before proceeding forward," said Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) spokesman Bob Nichols in an e-mail. "If a motor vehicle is within the intersection waiting to turn right – blocking the cyclist's path from the bicycle lane to the other side of the intersection – the cyclist should wait until the way is clear before proceeding through the intersection."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...way-in-designated-bike-lanes/article34015444/

^ With one massive proviso: Cars can only turn right *once attaining the lane closest to the curb in a legal manner*. If a cyclist already occupies that lane, or any lane for that matter, they have right of way.

The "solid white line" is ambiguous, and a case where the City has botched the use in many instances around the City where it doesn't conform to the HTA.

Put simply: Many bike lanes are dangerous and put cyclists in more peril than if they weren't there to begin with. If Toronto can't do it right, then Toronto should go home.

Here's the massive fault at that intersection you linked (and I just Googled along that stretch and cannot find a "No Right Turn" sign.)

upload_2018-7-20_12-10-29.png

The solid white line, if a driver is to observe the HTA, means that they are forced to break the "right turn from the curb lane" rule, as they must *cross* the cycle lane without attaining it first. Cycle lanes are given full and complete status as a 'lane' under the HTA.

This is *exactly* the conundrum Toronto presents time and again. No wonder no-one knows wtf to do.

I can't think of any worse case than the Bloor bike lanes for putting *everyone* at greater risk. The cyclist's death at St George and Bloor was almost an exact scenario of what you see in this pic. Truck turned right right at the intersection across a cycle lane as she was headed north through the intersection.

He was forced to make an illegal turn by the City's incorrectly marking the intersection, and she was in his blind spot.

I see it all the time, cyclists oblivious to the dangers they're in because of a false sense of security because "they're in a bike lane". Oh, and they ring their bells...that is a direct connection to God one presumes.

Doesn't do a damn bit of good in protecting someone passing on the inside of a vehicle that doesn't/can't see them. I stop well back from vehicles in those situations, not least so they can see me in their mirrors. And what happens? Idiot fugging cyclists pull in front of me to block the vehicle's right turn, and cause what was a rational situation to become dangerous, more time consuming and putting observant cyclists at risk when trying to pass the vehicle on the left.

And the worst part? Most of the idiots wear helmets. Lot of good it does them when the truck rolls over them. Voodoo would work just as well...

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-20_12-10-29.png
    upload_2018-7-20_12-10-29.png
    1 MB · Views: 541
Last edited:
which involved drivers trying to turn into me at almost every intersection since they were in a hurry.

Just so you are aware (and I am a biker fyi) at intersections with no bike lane, or even a bike lane with dotted lines, (like here https://goo.gl/maps/6sZ5gyy8Vt82) turning cars have the right of way.

Meaning that if you are behind a car turning right as a biker, you have to either yield to the car, or go around it on the left.

Now, if its a solid line like this

https://goo.gl/maps/TUWV7vCb5FQ2

Then bikes have the right of way and cars have to yield.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...way-in-designated-bike-lanes/article34015444/
To clarify, I was referring to cars turning into me from side streets with stop signs, which means I have the right of way since Yonge doesn't have any stop signs.

I always pass on the left or wait behind if a driver in front of me actually signals their turn.

Cyclists, be aware of this advantage you have under the Law if you're in an accident with a vehicle:

Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Blog
EDITORIALS, CASE SUMMARIES AND ASSOCIATION NEWS

I was hit by a car on my bike: what happens next?
Written by Maciek Piekosz / Insurance / June 03, 2016
Cyclists, like drivers, are expected to obey the rules of the road including signalling, obeying traffic lights, and not riding in pedestrian crosswalks. When sharing a road with cars, cyclists run a risk of being struck by a vehicle and injured even when wearing the appropriate safety gear. However, unlike drivers, cyclists are not required to have insurance.

Despite this, you are not without legal recourse in the event of injury while cycling. In fact, in the event of a crash with a car, a cyclist is given significant legal protection and multiple avenues to ensure they can seek appropriate compensation for their injuries.

Each person’s situation is unique, but generally in a crash with a car, an injured cyclist can receive compensation from one of the following means:

• the insurance of the car involved in the crash;
  • the cyclist’s own car insurance, or the car insurance of their spouse, or someone on whom they are dependent; or,
  • the Ontario Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund.
Claim for Compensation
When a vehicle hits and injures a cyclist, the cyclist can sue the driver and owner of the vehicle for compensation in the form of monetary damages.

In a typical claim, it is the injured person’s responsibility to demonstrate that someone else is responsible for their injury. However, when a cyclist is hit by a car, it is the driver of the car that must first prove that the collision did not arise from the driver’s negligence or improper conduct. In putting the responsibility on the driver to disprove improper conduct, the cyclist is given a significant legal advantage when seeking compensation for their injuries.

Once your claim against the driver is commenced, their insurance company will respond and cover the driver up to the policy limit. If a crash occurs and the at-fault driver did not have insurance, or left the scene and cannot be located, your damages can be covered by your own auto insurance or the car insurance of your spouse (or parents if you are a dependent), if that insurance includes the standard Family Protection Coverage OPCF-44R provision.

Should you not have access to personal or family insurance, the Ontario government would cover the damages as a last resort through the Ontario Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund, but only to a maximum of $200,000.00 in compensation.

Insurance Benefits
A claim for insurance benefits is different than a claim for damages (compensation). When a rider is struck and injured by a car, regardless of fault, the rider is entitled to make a claim for automobile insurance benefits, including benefits for medical care, rehabilitation, lost income, or attendant care. Who pays the benefits depends on the circumstances of the accident.

Your own insurance has the responsibility of funding your benefits if you are injured in an accident. If you do not have personal car insurance, then any policy of auto insurance under which you are a listed driver would respond to the benefits claim. If you are not a listed driver, then your spouse’s insurance, or the insurance of anyone the cyclist might be dependent on would respond to the claim. If those options are not available, the insurance of the at-fault driver would be compelled to fund the benefits.

Finally, if the at-fault driver is not insured, or has driven away and their insurance information cannot be identified, the Ontario government would be the last resort for a claim, and the Ontario Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund would take over administration of the accident benefits claim.

Conclusion
Despite requirements to follow similar rules of the road, but not having to be insured, cyclists are given significant legal protection if they are struck by a car, and are provided with multiple avenues to ensure they can seek appropriate compensation for their injuries.
http://otlablog.com/hit-car-bike-happens-next/

Back