News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

... and I haven't really cycled much since 1996. Somehow I missed the change in the law.

Don;t take it personally, but I think this disqualifies you from dispensing advice on how cyclists should bike.

Critics are so quick to point that bikes making rolling stops at stop signs. Try biking in the city for a week, you'll quickly change your tune.

Cyclists entitled to whole lane, bicycle cop says

From the Star of September 4th:

September 04, 2009
Iain Marlow
Staff Reporter

The death of bicycle courier Darcy Allan Sheppard, after an incident involving a car driven by former attorney general Michael Bryant, has fuelled that most unending of urban arguments – the rights of motorists versus those of cyclists.

Const. Hugh Smith, who helped found the Toronto police bicycle units back in 1989, has been riding the city's streets since he was 6. The Star spoke to the cycling veteran, who helps train officers around the country, as a neutral cycling voice in increasingly tense times for cycling in the city.

This incident has brought out the worst stereotypes of both motorists and cyclists. How would you characterize the relationship between the two?

Most motorists aren't educated enough, even in their driver's handbook. ... A cyclist has the right to an entire lane, even though they only occupy part of it. And it's up to them to dictate when they want to share.

Some cyclists don't understand that. If it's narrow, they have to push to the left and say, `No. I'm a slow-moving vehicle. Go around me.' But they tend to ride in that small area to the right.

What about giving tickets to those cyclists who break the rules, those rolling through or running lights?

If somebody comes up ... they've almost stopped, they've checked, they've looked, and they go through, that's not the type of cyclist that we're giving failing-to-stop tickets to; we're giving them to the ones who are blatantly going through, who are coming and saying ... "I'm beating the vehicles. I know they've got to stop but I don't."

What should cyclists do if they are hit but the car speeds away?

Get part of the plate and witness information and we'll follow up. We do follow up. If there is a collision, it's the same as with motorists. You've failed to remain at an accident scene and you've got an injured human being down there that we've got to take care of.

You must get respect as a cyclist in police uniform, but what about in your own recreational cycling?

If you're in a uniform, yeah, you get respect. But sometimes you get too much respect.

Let's say I want to make a left turn ... I stick that left arm out. Well, here's a police officer in uniform sticking his arm out going southbound on Yonge St., and I've got two lanes of traffic come to a screeching halt because they think I'm directing traffic. Or they don't want to hit a police officer.

Don;t take it personally, but I think this disqualifies you from dispensing advice on how cyclists should bike.
I'm tired of being nearly hit and verbally assaulted by cyclists as a pedestrian, when I am walking on pathways and sidewalks.

I'm also tired of bicycles suddenly appearing in front of a moving vehicle ... and also undertaking a moving vehicle when there is no lane or space.

I don't think one has to cycle frequently to criticise some dreadful cycling behaviour. I don't think anyone is complaining about rolling stops - let's be realistic. Complete failure to slow down and yield to oncoming vehicles is the issue!

Cyclist dies after being struck by streetcar on Tuesday

Source

I'm tired of being nearly hit and verbally assaulted by cyclists as a pedestrian, when I am walking on pathways and sidewalks.

I'm also tired of bicycles suddenly appearing in front of a moving vehicle ... and also undertaking a moving vehicle when there is no lane or space.

I don't think one has to cycle frequently to criticise some dreadful cycling behaviour. I don't think anyone is complaining about rolling stops - let's be realistic. Complete failure to slow down and yield to oncoming vehicles is the issue!

I agree, there's plenty of biking habits some people have which is inexcusable.

But what is "undertaking"??

Our bicycle network could be so much better. Trails around Toronto are not only poorly marked and signed, but also in various states of disrepair.

Toronto should look to Montreal as how to setup a proper bike network.

Our bicycle network could be so much better. Trails around Toronto are not only poorly marked and signed, but also in various states of disrepair.

Toronto should look to Montreal as how to setup a proper bike network.

Yes, we don't even have to look to Northern Europe.. Canada's other big cities have started to implement segregated bikeways on city streets

Montreal
3594148731_4902edee7d.jpg

buffered_bike_lane4.jpg

3900079983_899893bc4f.jpg

Vancouver

p1050136wx1.jpg

n537325252_6329856_1891914.jpg

North Bay
IMG_1458.jpg

if the city was ALOT more bike friendly...i think alot of people would do it. its so convenient than walking or even taking the subway

As usual, Toronto lacks the vision of other cities, or is just too cheap, to implement true bike lanes, separated from traffic by a barrier. Simply painting lines on roads is not good enough.

Yeah, that's what they all complain about our city government ... that they are too cheap and won't spend money ...

Chicago Police Say It Loud: Bikes Belong

Check out the video at this link.

This amazing video, via Chicago Bicycle Advocate, was produced for the Chicago Police Department to educate drivers, cyclists and officers on traffic laws pertaining to bikes.

I'm green with envy looking at those photos of Montreal's cycling lanes, that's the way to do things.

I found this article and I thought it was relevant to the thread as brief and fluffy as it is (it's the Toronto Sun). A few good points are made and it provides some basic ABC's for cyclists, all what we cyclists already know but I thought it was still worthy of posting.

Road warriors

Time to shift our thinking about urban transportation

By SUZANNE ELSTON, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 12th September 2009, 11:31am

The recent death of bike courier Darcy Allan Sheppard is just the latest incident in a summer marred by bike tragedies.

Earlier in August, a 56-year-old Toronto woman was killed when she collided with a 15-year-old cyclist on a city sidewalk. In July, five Ottawa cyclists were severely injured when a motorist struck them down and then fled the scene of the accident.

In every case, the victims were injured or killed because they were met by an unequal force.

"Whether it's a car, or a bicycle or a pedestrian, there's no such thing as error-free operation," said Dr. Paul-Andre Larose. "One can be dead right and still be dead."

The problem, as Larose explains, is when objects of different mass and speed collide.

"If I get in my car and get into an accident with another car, it could be forgiving, because the mass of both vehicles is fairly equal," said the retired physicist and former pilot. "But if I collide with a bicycle, it's not only the mass of the vehicle it's also the comparative speed and the momentum."

Larose, who now relies almost exclusively on his bicycle for transportation, was also hit by a car this summer. He credits his survival on a properly fitted bike helmet, and the fact that the driver of the car behind him was able to stop in time to avoid running him over.

Despite his recent accident, Larose works as a community activist to promote the environmental, health, social and economic benefits of cycling. As concerns about climate change, the burning of fossil fuels and smog increase, we need to shift our thinking about urban transportation.

"We need to ask ourselves if our cities are built for cars, or if they are built for people," he said. Larose's answer is to create an infrastructure that supports the safe and efficient use of bicycles and other non-motorized forms of transportation, which are outlined in his 10 attributes of bikeways.

---

TOP 10 TIPS FOR CYCLISTS

1 -- Always wear a properly fitted helmet.

2 -- Obey the rules of the road and stay off the sidewalks.

3 -- Sidewalks are for pedestrians, strollers, wheel chairs, pets, senior citizens, doorways, planters, and entire families of unpredictable window shoppers -- not cyclists!

4 -- Ride with the flow of traffic.

5 -- Look well ahead when you ride and pre-plan your position on the road.

6 -- Be courteous.

7 -- Use proper hand signals to indicate when you are stopping or turning.

8 -- Invest in safety gear such as wheel reflectors, bell and headlight.

9 -- If you're travelling at night, wear a reflective vest and use your headlight.

10 -- Learn how to ride defensively. The Canadian Cycling Association's CAN-BIKE program offers bicycle safety training programs for the more than 14 million Canadian cyclists. For more information, visit www.canadian-cycling.com.

---

ABC CHECKLIST

A -- is for air. Check everything to do with your tires and wheels and air pressure. The valve must be straight out of the rim, not at an angle.

B -- is for brakes, bars and bell. The brake pads must be straight and grip the rim effectively. The handlebars must be straight and tight. The bell must work.

C -- is for chain & crank. Chains need to be lubricated & the pedals (cranks) need to spin freely.

---

THEFT-PROOF YOUR BIKE

1 -- Always lock your bike. Half of all bikes stolen are taken from homes.

2 -- Buy the best locks you can find.

3 -- Use two locks to secure your bike frame and your back wheel.

4 -- Do not lock your bike to a chain link fence or a wooden porch.

---

10 REASONS TO LOVE CYCLING

1 -- Environmentally-friendly - Cycling produces no carbon dioxide or other harmful emissions

2 -- Reduces stress

3 -- Exercise/fitness --You can burn 500 calories in a half an hour!

4 -- Fun/Freedom

5 -- You don't have to rely on bus or train schedules

6 -- Great opportunity to really see your city

7 -- Free and easy access to parking

8 -- No gas to buy (or line-ups at the pump)

9 -- No license or registration required

10 -- No speeding tickets (unless you're Lance Armstrong!)

---

NEEDED BIKEWAY IMPROVEMENTS

Functionality -- They need to be linked to main areas

Directness -- Bikeways shouldn't take the scenic route

Extensiveness -- Shouldn't be limited to the urban core

Continuity -- Routes need a "gap-free" interconnection

Safety -- Need a barrier to protect cyclists

Security -- Bikeways should be accessible and in well-lit areas

Availability -- They should be usable 365 days a year

Smart Design -- Should harmonize traffic, speed and intersections

Sustainable -- Should offer a viable alternative to the automobile

Economic Viability -- Minimum impact on municipal budgets and a maximum benefit to local commerce

Source

Left, right support bike helmet law
Posted: September 14, 2009, 12:59 PM by Peter Kuitenbrouwer
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...t-right-support-bike-helmet-law.aspx#comments

Lots of city councillors support Councillor Michael Walker's motion that we should have a city bylaw obliging all cyclists to wear a helmet. The supporters range from Glenn de Baeremaeker, chairman of the Works Committee, on the left, to Denzil Minnan-Wong on the right, as we learned today during a wide-ranging debate on the topic at the committee.

The three cyclists who showed up to speak to the committee, however, all say it's a bad idea to force all cyclists to wear a helmet. Cyclist Anthony Humphreys, who wears a helmet, called it a "safety amulet. To mandate helmet useage discourages a huge number of people from taking up cycling," he added. The cyclists' main message was, don't tell us what to wear. Make our cycling experience more safe by teaching road users about safety and giving more space to bikes.

And City Council faces a more significant hurdle: currently, the Highway Traffic Act exempts any cyclist over 18 from a requirement that they wear a bike helmet. A city lawyer told the committee, "the proposed bylaw would be in direct conflict with the HTA. If the municipality passes a bylaw, it is specfically repealed."

No!!! Toronto is different!!! Does Montreal have cold snowy winters like Toronto? Does New York have as much traffic as Toronto???

MAYOR MILLAR IS KILLING THE CITY WITH HIS ZANY WAR ON THE CAR AND MUST BE STOPPED!!!!

Back