News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why doesn't the province of Ontario set the example. Put bicycle paths on provincial highways, not on the breakdown lane, but separated from traffic. Include the 400-series of highways. And plow them in winter.

Start by putting the bicycle paths on the provincial highways and roads that go through the provincial parks. Make Algonquin Park a showcase of how to do it.

lol @ 400 series highways. I'm an avid cyclist but I have no desire to ride near 120km/h traffic, nor are most of my destinations near 400 series highways.

lol @ 400 series highways. I'm an avid cyclist but I have no desire to ride near 120km/h traffic, nor are most of my destinations near 400 series highways.

+1

I have no desire to breathe the fumes either. If I didn't care about my health, I wouldn't be cycling in the first place.

I wouldn't want to see bike paths next to 400-series highways either (more because they're boring and loud). But it's only now the the provincial government is serious about it? New York State has all highways with paved shoulders and signed intercity bike routes. Quebec has the Route Verte but also paved shoulders on most provincial routes.

Ontario should have taken control of all the abandoned railways in the last 20 years. We could have had a Niagara to Windsor rail trail via the CASO sub by now, rather than see it broken up and sold off. There's only a few long distance rail trails in good shape for cyclists in this province - Barrie-Orillia-Midland; Kitchener-Brantford-Hamilton and Brantford-Simcoe-Port Dover and Uxbridge-Lindsay-Peterborough are the only ones that I know of in generally great shape.

Plus we'd have lots of viable routes had Ontario started paving shoulders 20 or even 10 years ago. Only a few counties have taken the initiative - Northumberland has paved the shoulders along Lake Ontario specifically for cyclists. Same with much of Niagara Region. Few places elsewhere.

There's only a few long distance rail trails in good shape for cyclists in this province - Barrie-Orillia-Midland; Kitchener-Brantford-Hamilton and Brantford-Simcoe-Port Dover and Uxbridge-Lindsay-Peterborough are the only ones that I know of in generally great shape.

Caledon Trailway: Terra Cotta-Inglewood-Caledon East-Tottenham. It's very nice!

While Toronto removes bike lanes to save drivers a couple of freakin minutes, NYC builds an excellent network of bike lanes despite their much greater traffic problems. Unbelievable.

Well on the positive side, I personally found the new Sherbourne lanes to be pretty good when I ride it.

I find Sherbourne okay to ride on, but the whole design is just one compromise on top of another in terms of execution. It should have been on a wider street to allow for cars that pull over for pickup/dropoff (more than just the existing taxi bays), there's not enough physical separation, the bike lanes should have gone behind the bus shelters, etc.

Looking forward to using the new configuration on Harbord/Hoskin, as long as drivers stay out of the bike lanes.

While Toronto removes bike lanes to save drivers a couple of freakin minutes, NYC builds an excellent network of bike lanes despite their much greater traffic problems. Unbelievable.

I wonder how many roads in Toronto can feasibly be converted into floating parking for bike lanes? New York seems to have a larger amount of one-way streets which are bit more conducive to this type of conversion, but in Toronto I can only think of a handful like University Ave (centre of the ROW), Adelaide, Richmond where the width would be fairly easy to convert into this type of facility. Most other streets are already 2 lanes in either direction with commuter lanes on the far right without any parking (in the downtown core). I wonder if maybe just having a one-way segregated Bike lane in different streets might work?

I wonder how many roads in Toronto can feasibly be converted into floating parking for bike lanes? New York seems to have a larger amount of one-way streets which are bit more conducive to this type of conversion, but in Toronto I can only think of a handful like University Ave (centre of the ROW), Adelaide, Richmond where the width would be fairly easy to convert into this type of facility.

Most importantly, NY has the political will to build these bike lanes. Toronto could have done it a long time ago on the streets you mention. It's really frustrating that cars have dominated city growth for so many decades, yet any attempt to even slightly rebalance our priorities is bad because it's a 'war on cars', or will cause 'traffic chaos'. Whether we're debating bike lanes, LRT, fixing the gardiner, or closing street for a festival, it's always the same crap. What this really is is a war on everyone else.

I wonder how many roads in Toronto can feasibly be converted into floating parking for bike lanes? New York seems to have a larger amount of one-way streets which are bit more conducive to this type of conversion, but in Toronto I can only think of a handful like University Ave (centre of the ROW), Adelaide, Richmond where the width would be fairly easy to convert into this type of facility. Most other streets are already 2 lanes in either direction with commuter lanes on the far right without any parking (in the downtown core). I wonder if maybe just having a one-way segregated Bike lane in different streets might work?

A proposal for bicycle lanes on University fell through due to...

Oops! Councillor's mistake derails bike lanes on University Ave.

See this link. This happened in 2010, under the David Miller administration. Apparently, a councillor voted in error, but unlike similar circumstances recently, they were not able to do a re-vote.

A plan to establish separated bike lanes along University Avenue was defeated Wednesday night - after a councillor made a voting mistake.

In a vote to remove a proposed segregated-lane pilot project from the city's larger bike network plan, councillor Paula Fletcher voted "yes" by accident, she said, passing what would otherwise have been a tied (and defeated) amendment.

That means that a 12-week summertime pilot project that would have established the bike lanes on University Avenue was spiked.

"It's extremely, extremely disappointing," said Yvonne Bambrick, executive director of the Toronto Cyclists Union. "It was a forward-thinking pilot that connected three major east-west routes. ... We were so close to getting this passed."

When the plan passed at the city's public works committee last month, councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker said he was confident the pilot project would become permanent and be expanded across the city - it was a necessary step, he argued, in making cyclists safe.

Ms. Bambrick said she isn't optimistic the proposal will come back to council after the October election: Multiple mayoral candidates, including councillor Rob Ford, who was at Wednesday's vote, have opposed bike lanes in one form or another.

Rocco Rossi has said he supports a bike lane network on secondary streets, but not on such major arteries as University Avenue. George Smitherman has called for a pause on bike-lane development. Joe Pantalone supports them, and voted for the University Avenue pilot project.

Ms. Fletcher apologized for the error, which she and several other councillors tried unsuccessfully to correct. But changing a single vote that would have altered the outcome isn't allowed.

"I feel very badly. ... I've been a very strong advocate of bike lanes," she said, adding that she's confident it will come back to council after the election.

"I've spoken to many councillors who've said we will commit to getting this on University Avenue in the new round of council."

The bikeway network, which ended up passing by a wide margin, will establish new bike lanes on several roads - including Bay Street, Lansdowne Avenue and Spadina Crescent - as well as partially segregated bike lanes on Bay Street near Lakeshore.

The issue of University Avenue bike lanes didn't generate the same amount of anger caused by proposed bike lanes on Jarvis Street last year. But the prospect of removing lanes of vehicle traffic and replacing them with bike lanes caused motorist consternation, especially in a city facing growing congestion problems.

Councillor Anthony Peruzza, who voted against the pilot project, said as an avid cyclist he supports physically separated bike lanes. Just not these ones.

"I support bicycle lanes and I support safety for cyclists. ... I think you need to have some kind of physical separation between cyclsts and automobiles," he said. "They've turned this into a political hot potato."

Last edited:

Back