News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've often walked or cycled down a street and not seen a moving automobile on it.
At 2 PM on a summer day in an urban area on a 2 Km stretch of road deemed busy enough to have traffic lights?

At 2 PM on a summer day in an urban area on a 2 Km stretch of road deemed busy enough to have traffic lights?
So how about you look at the bike lanes of College or Harbord or Queens Quay (even while a mess of construction) or the better considered, better constructed, better supported bike lanes of Montreal. No, forget it. You'll only see what you want to see passing by in the air-conditioned comfort of your Buick. If you're serious about your investigations you could get out of the car and walk for a bit and see what life is like for those not in cars, and then report back. No? Stupid of me to even suggest it?

My point was that the bulk of roads in the city aren't in heavy use at any time, that's why we used to play road hockey on them. They're even designed to keep other people's cars off them. But people still consider them necessary.

Why is Dawes Rd. now a bike lane? Because there's high demand for cyclists to get from the autocentric mess of Eglinton and Vic Park to eastern edge of the Danforth? Or because Berardinetti campaigned on the removal of Birchmont and Pharmacy in her ward and Dawes is in the ward of cycling friendly Janet Davis? Recreational riders on a sunny summer afternoon might chose Taylor Massey instead. Doesn't mean those lanes aren't used by some people at some time. Might be good for anyone who needs to get to the Centennial College campus behind the Walmart.

Last edited:
I love how all your anti-bike posts only include anecdotal evidence.
If anything I witness personally with my own eyes is anecdotal wouldn't all observations by anyone be anecdotal rendering the word useless.

I do look at the bike lanes you mention when I am downtown, they are well used in nice weather and I have absolutely no problem with them.

I do have a problem with some folks insisting that downtown bikers needs be imposed on suburbanites who don't need them or want them. Suburban cyclists are happy to ride on the sidewalk which is rarely a problem because there are few pedestrians on them anyway.

If you can't believe me jump in an air conditioned Buick and come on out and have a look. Your observations may be considered anecdotal or useless so maybe you should just stay home.

Suburban cyclists are happy to ride on the sidewalk which is rarely a problem because there are few pedestrians on them anyway.
That's absurd. I hated cycling on sidewalks when I was in the suburbs, and only did it because there were a few spots where it was too dangerous to merge with traffic entering expressways, who frequently violated the highway code. The ride was always rough, especially when there was a joint out of alignment. And when you did pass a pedestrian (which are certainly sparse, but your still passing them every minute or so) the speed differential between the pedestrian and cyclist was dangerous.

Now that I don't live in suburbia, there's much less need to actually cycle - as I can quickly walk to most stuff.

That doesn't necessarily mean that one needs separated bike lanes in the suburbs ... but it also doesn't justify such absurd statements.

I don't know when you conducted your survey of how suburbanites are happy to cycle, but I wasn't consulted. I recently lived in the suburbs (Scarborough Cliffside), cycled and would never use a sidewalk. First, because it's illegal, but also because it's unsafe, mostly because you're less visible and less predictable. There probably are places in the suburbs (nearing highways) where it might be prudent for some riders to use the lightly populated sidewalks, but overall it's bad practice. Anyone who cycles regularly or intends to go a significant distance knows that.

For my usual destinations I could develop routes that would mostly avoid awkward confrontation with traffic. But the suburbs, at least lower Scarborough, are divided by ravines, highways, cul-de-sac neighbourhoods and railroads. Sometimes the only route is a busy arterial, often at choke points where traffic is already a mess. Providing safer ways to negotiate these would increase the options for people, of all different ages and lifestyles and comfort levels. I can't see that as a bad thing. Doesn't mean that everyone has to fully commit to cycling always, everywhere, but it opens up choice. But I get it. You like your life and don't want to see anything change. Many people are like that. But it's a funny stand for a iconoclast.

Last edited:
NIMBYism strikes again.

Construction of a trail that had wealthy Rosedale residents up in arms has been put on hold.

The $1-million Chorley Park switchback, which would have seen a three-metre-wide asphalt path zig-zagging up a hillside, drew community outrage after the city clear-cut more than 120 trees in March. The path would have connected Chorley Park to the Brickworks in the Don Valley.

“When everybody saw the magnitude of this clear-cut over, in essence, the entire top of the hill and then swooping down, I think everybody was completely shocked,” said Kathleen Hanly, a South Rosedale resident and tax lawyer.

The city put the project on hold after residents voiced their objections during a tense five-hour community meeting in June. A group called Friends of Chorley Park also organized a petition against the switchback that garnered 900 signatures.

Now, the city is organizing a working group of residents to hear ideas about redesign.

Its first meeting is due to take place in September, about the time the trail was supposed to be finished.

This will have the effect of delaying the project by a year, said Ms. Wong-Tam, and means the project “will probably need more money.”

“My concern is that people are dug in so deep that they are not able to compromise on design,” she said, adding the city may bring in mediators if agreement can’t be reached.

Ms. Hanly, who helped organize the Friends of Chorley Park, said 90% of Rosedale residents are opposed to the current project.

Her group wants a smaller path, with no fences or boulders on the side of the path, and no asphalt. Some people are also opposed to the five-switchback design.

She insists residents are not trying to keep people out of the wealthy neighbourhood.

While most agree a new path is needed to replace the “muddy footpath,” they are hoping for a more “sensitively designed woodland trail,” said Lewis Reford, president of the North Rosedale Residents Association.

Ms. Wong-Tam said the goal of the project, a joint initiative between the City and the Toronto & Region Conservation Authority, is to preserve the ravine and provide safe access.

“I am optimistic that we’re going to come up with something great. I’m optimistic that this is a community that’s going to come together and find a community-crafted resolution,” she said.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...y-construction-of-1-million-don-valley-trail/

Everything seems to "draw community outrage"..

Except for Eglinton Connects it seems. :p

Speaking of, when can we expect Connects to be completed? Around the time of the Crosstown opening or is this going to be a project that will take longer? (I ask because I do not know whether I'll be living here in a decade from now)

Except for Eglinton Connects it seems. :p

Speaking of, when can we expect Connects to be completed? Around the time of the Crosstown opening or is this going to be a project that will take longer? (I ask because I do not know whether I'll be living here in a decade from now)

The year Toronto gets the olympics, the year a Toronto sports team wins the playoffs, the year Canada has a world cup team, the year either the SLRT or Scar-subway is built, the year andrewpmk rides an LRT, or the year one of the Ford brother's kids is elected. When one of those events occur, it will be the year Connects will be completed.

Looking down Eglinton you'll see a beautiful vista of midrise buildings, big trees with shade, patios, wide sidewalks and bike lanes, and a statue of David Miller, truly "St Clair-izing" it and winning the war on the car forever.

Looking down Eglinton you'll see a beautiful vista of midrise buildings, big trees with shade, patios, wide sidewalks and bike lanes, and a statue of David Miller, truly "St Clair-izing" it and winning the war on the car forever.

The city should have a statue of Miller somewhere. Maybe have it block a lane of traffic on St. Clair.

Ford should also have a statue, complete with crack pipe.

Yes they have wider streets, but most importantly they have the political will. With the insane amount of traffic in Manhattan, you would think that the car idiots would be yelling about the impending traffic chaos, like they do here. But the smaller streets in Toronto shouldn't prevent us from building separated bike lanes. If Sherbourne had a proper barrier, either bollards or concrete curbs, then this wouldn't be happening. It's so simple.

14405473634_186cc29052_z.jpg
Was on Sherbourne yesterday and there are now posts up along this stretch of the bike lane.

Back