News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Sorry, bad habit, yes.... Engineering Design and Construction Guidelines, ie. specs and requirements for developers to adhere to if building public/semi-public works around their site.

Group worried about ‘radical’ zoning bylaw changes; Edmonton councillor calls them ‘necessary’​

Click to play video: 'Group of citizens worried about zoning bylaw changes in Edmonton'
The City of Edmonton is moving forward with plans to slow urban sprawl and shift to denser neighbourhoods. As Sarah Komadina explains, some Edmontonians say there wasn't enough public consultation and they worry about how the plans could shape the future of the city.

Watched that piece last night…..Kevin Taft appears to be the resistance’s mouth piece…remind me how I know that name again?

Once again "there wasn't enough consultation!!" just means "We weren't consulted enough that we were able to water down any changes to status quo"

Honestly, I'm kinda glad that opposition or whatever passes for it to this zoning bylaw is only happening now. Essentially means this city is ready to just go zoom zoom on this pretty soon.

^ Yup,same old same old, "we didn't know about it, think of the children" crap. They're updating 1960 archaic zoning, can't happen soon enough!

^^ Taft was an MLA and former leader of the Alberta Liberal party for about a decade, early 2000's, authored a bunch of books/studies for the Parkland institute. A busy guy, in the news often.

^ It's worse IMO. "Not enough consultation" is just shorthand for "I didn't get my way, and I am not use to that so it makes me upset".

Even labeling the changes as radical is unnecessary hysterics. If anything the mid-century changes were radical, and this is a reversion to the historic norms of city building.

Exactly! At this point, I'm half tempted to start shouting how "Edmontonians weren't consulted enough" mainly because 3-story walkups only as a minimum?

I wanted 8 story midrises everywhere as a minimum! Absolute travesty and a slap in the face for us uber urbanist Edmontonians who weren't represented in these consultations!

Like most people I don't know all the details and consultation often seems to only reach some, but these changes affect everyone.

My general sense is some parts of this are good, in making residential development less restrictive, but other parts are bad, like potentially opening protected spaces such as natural areas in the river valley to more development.

So some criticism or further scrutiny of this is warranted. I wish the city would be less dismissive of it. Consultation is not just some pre arranged meetings, surveys or presentations and after that is over you lose your right forever to speak up. Things change, plans evolve and more information comes out throughout the process and people react or respond as they get this information.

My general sense is some parts of this are good, in making residential development less restrictive, but other parts are bad, like potentially opening protected spaces such as natural areas in the river valley to more development.
Where does the new zoning bylaw 'open up the river valley to more development'? are there adjustments to the A/AP zones that do this?

when some people wonder why some other people aren’t enthusiastic fans of infill housing:
View attachment 498813

there aren’t enough planters at home depot to hold enough lipstick to pretty up this pair of front yards…
I dislike the barren frontward, but I do love the houses themselves... Along with mid-century bungalows or Georgian style, this architectural style is one of the few SFH I actually like.

Back