News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

One more thing. I think that little wedge between 136 Street and 139 St. between 102 Avenue and stony plain road should also be fair game to more dense development as it will be close to the future LRT station. And I don’t believe in that little pocket there are many true heritage homes.

The Glenora Heritage Character Area Rezoning would not have prevented property owners from demolishing historical buildings. Honestly, the City does not have the authority (without paying large sums of money) from preventing the demolition historic resources. If people are serious about preserving our heritage assets, then owners of those buildings should designate them as Municipal Historic Resources.

The fact that the VAST majority of houses in Glenora listed on the Inventory of HIstoric Resources are not formally designated and protected from demolition is very telling... Anyone in that neighbourhood that is complaining about the cancellation of this project who has an Inventoried property that isn't designated os being hypocritical.

The Glenora Heritage Character Area Rezoning would not have prevented property owners from demolishing historical buildings. Honestly, the City does not have the authority (without paying large sums of money) from preventing the demolition historic resources. If people are serious about preserving our heritage assets, then owners of those buildings should designate them as Municipal Historic Resources.

The fact that the VAST majority of houses in Glenora listed on the Inventory of HIstoric Resources are not formally designated and protected from demolition is very telling... Anyone in that neighbourhood that is complaining about the cancellation of this project who has an Inventoried property that isn't designated os being hypocritical.

Good point. Whereas in Westmount, a fair amount of homes have been designated it seems like.

I feel we should try to avoid blaming those living in older homes or putting this all on them, that feels like scapegoating or deflection to me.

I don't know what is involved in getting designation, the work involved, etc ... Perhaps there should be a better, easier or different process.

I wonder if one of the residents' worries when talking about "character" is not only density but style. It's not a secret that they have been tearing down some properties to redevelop them, and most of the new houses have an ultra-modern look, that doesn't fully fit the historical vibe the neighborhood is going for. And with the generic high-density buildings there has been popping in through the city, they just feel like they will lose all the current charm. I think it could be more interesting to try to find some materiality and look-feel of the new developments that will gain confidence with residents. Showing that a high-density development can fit in their neighborhood.

Here's an example of a trend happening in Europe with new developments against ultra-modern architecture.
View attachment 551053

On a related note, here is something available now:

A French Château Could Be Your Dream Home—If You Can Put It Back Together​

IMO would look great in Glenora!

Back