News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I don't know what they are hauling, possibly mine concentrate, or maybe just sand. Something that has to be kept dry and not allowed to blow away. Video was likely taken fairly far south in mining country.

If you want to see a gorgeous longer video of the various bridges along the line - try

That same long curving trestle - which I believe is at Channing, just outside of Flin Flon - is visible around 6:15 of the video.

PS - Google satellite seems to show an awful lot of those cars at the mine in Flin Flon.

- Paul
That would explain why I‘ve never heard of that trestle (because it’s on the freight-only branch to Flin Flon, not the actual Hudson Bay Railway) and that that freight train crawls so slow (because the tracks aren’t maintained for freight trains)…

That would explain why I‘ve never heard of that trestle (because it’s on the freight-only branch to Flin Flon, not the actual Hudson Bay Railway) and that that freight train crawls so slow (because the tracks aren’t maintained for freight trains)…

Last I can find online, the Flin Flon zinc mine shut down last summer and the refinery was mothballed. I wonder what volume of traffic the line is seeing. There are other mines operating in the general region, but I don’t know if the line remains vital to that.

- Paul

CN, alongside with UP & GMXT, just recently announced "Falcon Premium". A Trans-continental freight shipping service.

If I read the article correctly. We're not talking about a seamless line. GMXT will run trains through Mexico, and into Texas. UP will run the train from Texas to Chicago, and then CN will move the train from Chicago into Canada. Doesn't exactly seem to be the seamless service that CPKC is offering.

Attachments

• Falcon-Map-1007x1024.jpg
    Falcon-Map-1007x1024.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 47
CN, alongside with UP & GMXT, just recently announced "Falcon Premium". A Trans-continental freight shipping service.

If I read the article correctly. We're not talking about a seamless line. GMXT will run trains through Mexico, and into Texas. UP will run the train from Texas to Chicago, and then CN will move the train from Chicago into Canada. Doesn't exactly seem to be the seamless service that CPKC is offering.
As usual with these kinds of things, the devil is in the details. Planned correctly, there is no reason why this service couldn't be as seamless as anything being operated (or planned) by CPKC. Equipment can be shared and run-through, crew changes planned in advance, and system prioritization can make this competitive with the CPKC service, or even better.

It should be noted too, that neither this nor the CPKC operation is planned to be direct trains from Mexico to Canada. Trains are already making these runs, although not all the way through - nor will they start to. Rather, there are existing trains that will now have scheduled block swaps at a central location, such as around Chicago.

Dan

Will we see this here?? A lot of these trains are in rough shape when we rode them last year. They run as a 5 section either as 1 to 3 pack

DSB cleared to order automated S-bane trains

If Ontario follow California new changes, the current F59's would be history in no time.

The big issue would be, how many short lines would still be around since the cost to change their fleet would be too rich for them as well track improvements for the new motor power. The scrap yard would be full of bygone years of locomotives.

California passes 1st-in-nation emission rules for trains

It looks like Tri rail is getting money to replace aging rolling stock. They use the same bombardier bilevels that GO uses. Unless it's it to buy new rolling stock.

It looks like Tri rail is getting money to replace aging rolling stock. They use the same bombardier bilevels that GO uses. Unless it's it to buy new rolling stock.
Considering that those are newer than the Bombardier cars that means that saving a few bucks is not worth it in the long run. The real feature that the Hyundai cars had was Crash energy management. That Metrolinx crash where it was determined that crash energy management would save lives, which is why they went to Hyundai. But there was a problem with the plow on cab cars, which resulted in them being taken out of service for extended periods of time.

It would be funny if they replaced them with Alstom Bilevels from Thunder Bay.

Considering that those are newer than the Bombardier cars that means that saving a few bucks is not worth it in the long run. The real feature that the Hyundai cars had was Crash energy management. That Metrolinx crash where it was determined that crash energy management would save lives, which is why they went to Hyundai. But there was a problem with the plow on cab cars, which resulted in them being taken out of service for extended periods of time.

would probably avoid issues with Buy America to build them in the ex-BBD line at Plattsburgh NY, where I believe they build Multilevels

Tri-Rail has a bunch of BiLevel cars that were built in the 1980s from the original I-95 rebuild project. Those are what is getting replaced. The Rotem cars aren't going anywhere.

It sounds like they're also getting several new locos, to replace some of the older units that have been sidelined for a while.

would probably avoid issues with Buy America to build them in the ex-BBD line at Plattsburgh NY, where I believe they build Multilevels
The Multi-Levels get constructed at La Pocatière, and finished at Plattsburgh. And in fairness, quite a few US-bound BiLevels went through a similar process where they got finished in the US.

Or at least they did under Bombardier. It remains to be seen how Alstom will organize things.

Dan

^I’m not so sure it’s bizarre. It amounts to a higher level appeal of an STB decision. Nothing surprising in an interested party taking an adverse ruling to a higher court.

Would I bet on UP winning the appeal? Hell, no. But I’m not a lawyer and I haven’t been following the minutae of the proceedings. There may be any number of things to nitpick. In particular, a higher court could approve the basic merger ruling but take exception to the conditions, or send things back for more review. That might extract some smaller concession that helps UP - or UP may have some clever argument that enables some precedent for future transactions.

Or, UP may simply need to satisfy some shareholder who is not willing to give up the fight.

- Paul

Back