News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hackworth teaches at UofT and is one of the more renowned experts on Gentrification!!!

The triple exclamation marks come off as stunted and adolescent. I can't believe you'd be taken seriously, academically speaking--heck, I can see a lot of these "renowned experts on Gentrification!!!" thinking you're an obnoxious pest...

True, but I simply answered what the problem is when a landlord decides to go out for full profit 100%. Read that entire paragraph. It's an example in another city, and is reason enough to be weary against such efforts that many landlords in Toronto envy. Man, when we used to live there, this one sonofabitch landlord did not let anyone do laundry with warm water. We reported him and left soon afterwards... was he steamed at us!

I mean man, just read the thing, it's what happened to a guy... and some people here day say that displacement does not happen??? Shit, I know of a case in Chicago where a landowner bribed a kid to do arson on his own building - and later go caught for that. This is the kind of stuff that happens. Now, hey, these are more extreme examples, but it is exactly what should be given to people who say "oh what is wrong with this". Lets show them what it can be like, in order for them to realize why it is a reason for concern.

I realize you are citing another city. But as I said, such a rent increase could not happen in Toronto - or Ontario for that matter. Because of this, landlords could not push out - or displace - residents by way of unwarranted massive rent increases within residential buildings.

Anyone can pick up an anecdote here and there of landlord abuse, but that does not automatically translate into a wholesale expulsion in an effort to carry out massive "gentrification" here in Toronto.

I concede defeat... for now.

No gentrification? Wait now. The community is a working class one, and has not yet bore the brunt of gentrification. Without further addoo, I spent some time writing word for word a paragraph from the article by hackworth and rekers that I mentioned earlier in this topic. Get the entire thing, it's worth reading.

"That said, the larger neighborhood of South Riverdale, (within which Gerrard India Bazaar sits) is beginning to experience signs of gentrification - an influx of artists, the construction of trendy condo projects, and copious attention by the local real estate press - but development remains very pocketed. As Table 4 suggests, these pockets of development have yet to meaningfully affect aggregate income and real estate statistics for the neighborhood. Overall house values have ranged from 60% to 70% of CMA averages during the past 30 years, and rents have fluctuated dramatically between 75% and 101% of CMA during the same period. Incomes have actually declined appreciably during the past 30 years, but much is also attributable to the simple fact that the neighborhood is still firmly working class in its orientation.In short, while the classic antecedents to gentrification appear to be emerging in pockets around Gerrard Indian bazaar, it is unclear whether they will germinate and more importantly how (or if) they are related to the Bazaar ethnic package. But importantly for our purposes here, the Bazaar's presence remains a crucial component (along with the neaby film district and Chinatown East) of South Riverdale's bohemian panache, and as such has created an ethnic package that has the potential for sale to gentrifies in the future.

Teehee... a gentrified Gerrard Street. Does that mean that Lahore Tikka House will finally finish their new building and move out of that tent?

Back