khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
dzn_Gimpo-Art-Gallery-by-G.Lab-02.jpg

dzn_Gimpo-Art-Gallery-by-G.Lab-03.jpg

dzn_Gimpo-Art-Gallery-by-G.Lab-06.jpg

dzn_Gimpo-Art-Gallery-by-G.Lab-05.jpg

dzn_Gimpo-Art-Gallery-by-G.Lab-04.jpg

Seoul architects G.Lab* of Gansam Partners have unveiled their proposal for an art centre with a branch-like structure for Gimpo, South Korea.

Called Gimpo Art Hall, the design is inspired by the image of a tree, symbolising the area’s agricultural history.

The bulk of the building is elevated, creating a public plaza and walkway at street level.

Visitors enter via steps up to the first floor.

Construction is due to begin in 2010.

Source

Maybe Zaha marries the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston and the spawn moves inland.

Not sure why an arts related building would be compared with a university building. Would a more apt comparison not be with OCAD or with the AGO? If that's the case, then I will take what we have.

Would it be rude to ask if this is an art gallery for the differently-abled?

Not sure why an arts related building would be compared with a university building. Would a more apt comparison not be with OCAD or with the AGO? If that's the case, then I will take what we have.

Your question seems like the statement, that all buildings should conform strictly to its own purposes. Discriminatory question regarding architecture. A void of its own uniqueness and and vibrancy. Total banality. Sounds like asking for a step back from the evolution of architecture.

Anyways, I am impressed to see much of the radical architecture in Korea (I haven't been there back for last 5 years or so). Right now, all cities in Korea are full of commie blocks and it is a breath of fresh air to see various architectural designs emerging from various foreign architects. Libeskind, Asymptote, Gensler, KPF and lesser extent, SOM...

Last edited:
hbl33, my point is with the comparison. I could just as easily say, I would rather have this proposal than the Aria towers on Sheppard. I would rather have this proposal than the Shoppers Drug Mart on Parliament. My gentle prod to Ganj was to ask why he chose to compare an arts facility in Seoul with an educational building in Toronto? What is gained from the comparison, what brought it to mind. Not really hostile, just curious.

hbl33, my point is with the comparison. I could just as easily say, I would rather have this proposal than the Aria towers on Sheppard. I would rather have this proposal than the Shoppers Drug Mart on Parliament. My gentle prod to Ganj was to ask why he chose to compare an arts facility in Seoul with an educational building in Toronto? What is gained from the comparison, what brought it to mind. Not really hostile, just curious.

Understood about that; still I feel that T.O. architecture is quite conservative as compared to those of outside NA. While conservative style isn't bad, I just feel there are lack of flair in design makes T.O. less unique and underrepresented. After all, Toronto is the city with most diverse art & cultures out of all other Canadian cities, so I don't see why there shouldn't be more variety in architecture as well.

Umm, I would rather take our "plain glass box" any day, thank you very much!

I guess you are not really a fan of Libeskind either...
A fan of ol' fash'on'd box buildings. Maybe a commie block is a beauty to your sights...
Not saying it is wrong, but still...

Last edited:

I was just responding to scarberian's statement that it just looks like a plain glass box with some netting. If you want a glass box that's really plain, look at our so-called Foster.

I am a fan of Lord Norman Foster's work - and he certainly did not disappoint at U of T.

Oh Dan, are you serious? I love Foster's work and this clunker is a huge disappointment. Just look at some of the stunning work he's done (http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Practice/Default.aspx). But we're getting off topic here...

I'm not a huge fan of "look at me" architecture like that Gimpo thing... I'm just really tired of the conservative, bland, play-it-safe architecture of Toronto and Canada as a whole.

When project architect Stephen Best discussed the Pharmacy building at the public forum In the Skin of a Building three years ago, he admitted that, aesthetically, some things didn't work as planned - the original design called for much stronger horizontal banding of the upper box to contrast with vertical banding ( columns etc. ) of the lower box, for instance.

But I got the impression that it was well thought out conceptually, in matching functions to form. The building is in two parts -an upper box with sparsely populated research labs that don't need lots of light, and a heavily populated and more open ground level. Closed box at top, open box at base. Less glazing on the south side of the upper box to reduce heat gain. More glazing on the north side of the upper box where there is less sun. The uses were fitted into the building on that basis. And it respects the surrounding structures - the soffit of Pharmacy aligned with the parapet of the building to the north for instance.

With Gimpo, I have no idea whether there are surrounding buildings to adjust to, or what they look like. As for the expressive tree symbolism, the "branches" are cosmetic additions that don't emerge from a structural trunk, and the innards of the building appear quite conventional. It's a bit like Gehry's spectacular AGO Dundas facade, which doesn't reflect the rectilinear galleries inside, or maybe Nouvel's Copenhagen Concert Hall exterior that's literally all flash.

Back