News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Ugh not again. This has gotta be a nightmare situation for the execs at Lanterra....Hopefully this PR disaster convinces them to up their game for ICE condos....falling glass is dangerous enough, last thing we need is to see it falling from 200 meters instead of 100-150. Hopefully they figure this problem out. It would be a damn shame to have 2 massive new towers at the lakeshore dominating our skyline....with balcony netting.

Lanterra has already announced that they are replacing Murano/One Bedford balconies with laminated glass and will also use it with future projects so it won't be a problem. After all these blow-outs with the two Lanterra projects and other buildings we'll see a review done and laminated glass will likely become the standard for balcony glass going forward in Toronto.

Last edited:
This is not the same issue. Seems like all these things get lumped together...I guess perception's realtiy, huh?

But back to what I was saying... The glass did not just randomly blow out. It was simply cracked while being removed. Completely different situation than random falling glass.

News article didn't say why this one fell. I hadn't heard about any glass on Queen's Quay as mentioned earlier. Glass also fell from West Harbour City Phase 1; it's being investigated.

News article didn't say why this one fell. I hadn't heard about any glass on Queen's Quay as mentioned earlier. Glass also fell from West Harbour City Phase 1; it's being investigated.

I read somewhere else that it was from workers who were removing the glass. Anyways, glass is falling from a lot of these newer condos but it's going unreported. Only condos I've seen reported are Murano/Burano/1 Bedford and Festival Tower. Meanwhile, glass has fallen from a number of other buildings.

This is not the same issue. Seems like all these things get lumped together...I guess perception's realtiy, huh?

But back to what I was saying... The glass did not just randomly blow out. It was simply cracked while being removed. Completely different situation than random falling glass.

Perhaps it was a weakened panel that was ready to blow and lifting it out gave it the necessary pressure or movement for it to do so? Perhaps they accidentally banged it on something as it was being removed and it smashed, who knows.

Balcony Glass Issues

Didn't know where to post this since it affects a few buildings. Just got a paper in my door from Concord Adex that says protective balcony mesh is to be installed on Parade I, Discovery I and Discovery II starting April 9.

The reason being is that these are buildings that were built in the same time frame as other buildings that have had problems and the glass came from the same supplier. They don't say the glass is to be replaced but that they are investigating if there is an issue for these buildings. People will still be able to use their balconies. To date I'm not aware of any glass falling at these three buildings.

Coming soon to Cityplace, mesh covered buildings a la Festival tower. I wonder if the mesh will be green?

Hey better to be safe then sorry before people get hurt. Though makes vies with in city look worse then cranes although...the meshing on belllightbox is tastefully done. So. My point has not been made. Except it's good their preventing a possible problem for later.

I must say, Concord is getting better and better every day. They came to fix some deficiencies in my 2 year old (going on 3) condo without any questioning. Saved me from having to pay out of my own pocket, and they did a great job despite warning me that the end result may be worse than the existing problem. A new issue popped up last week, and they are now going to look into this issue.

Good to see them being proactive with this issue. Also glad to see that people will still be able to use their balconies during this time, as I know that Daniels has locked all the balconies over at Lightbox.

I read about this in the paper and was thinking, while it's good that they're being pro-active, how long is the mesh going to be up there? At what point will they say the balcony glass is safe and the mesh can come off? Festival Tower still has mesh. Murano is still without balcony glass. L Tower is without windows. Is this the state of construction in our city? Do other cities have these issues with their new, high-profile condos?

I read about this in the paper and was thinking, while it's good that they're being pro-active, how long is the mesh going to be up there? At what point will they say the balcony glass is safe and the mesh can come off? Festival Tower still has mesh. Murano is still without balcony glass. L Tower is without windows. Is this the state of construction in our city? Do other cities have these issues with their new, high-profile condos?

Market Wharf and the condo going up at the Distillery are also without any balcony glass yet, and the project at the distillery is already topped off. If it is a supplier issue (which we already know it is), there isn't much a developer can do at the moment to resolve the problem but wait. Either the supplier will provide new glass, which would take a while considering how many projects they supply, and how much glass will be needed, or the developer would need to get the money back for the defective product and find another supplier, which also takes a long time. Its not like a supplier can provide glass for an entire tower over night. These things take months.

Not balcony glass but a window came loose and dangled from a high floor at the Pantages tower today. Firefighters attended and held the window from falling to the street below until ropes could be assembled to pull the glass to safety. Victoria & Shuter Sts. were closed until the all clear was given.

Edit: found the link to the story - http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...window-pane-from-30th-floor-of-pantages-hotel

Last edited:
Quay West at Tip Top had two balcony glass issues this winter. Builder will be inspecting all balconies this week.

As an aside, I'm getting concerned about balcony glass being a cliche--even more particularly when it comes to renos of older buildings, the aesthetic result, et al. (Thought of this when mulling over the Wynford Heights apartment towers this morning; at least one of them had glass replacements and seem to lose its Corbusian visual zip as a result)

There's glass on the lawn on the west side of Quay West and signs about falling glass. Not sure if it's from a balcony or something else.

Back