News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yes...I have always thought that Hamilton's reinvention was as a farther afield suburb of Toronto.
Which is fine, just have the high'ish speed passenger rail service and you're set.

How about re-opening the old Westchester Train Station in Hamilton as their core rail hub to Union. It's a grand old building - even played a role in X-Men. Is it still there?

hamilton+railway+station.jpg

Attachments

• hamilton+railway+station.jpg
    hamilton+railway+station.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 639
Yes - it hosts weddings now

It's supposed to be re-integrated into the GO network when all-day service arrives in Hamilton. I may have this a bit wrong, but rush hour trains would still serve James South, while other trains would serve this James North "Westchester" Station. A new GO platform would be built in the vicinity of this station, but the station itself wouldn't be used. It is currently owned by LIUNA.

Yes this is definitely adding insult to injury. With all the talk about Hamilton's burgeoning creative scene, and increased investments in its health sciences and research sectors, one forgets that there is a huge generation - mostly blue collar breadwinners now in their 40s and 50s who were promised a stable income, job security and fat pension - who are being left out of the "renaissance."

Westdale reinvented itself from being a "whites only" neighbourhood into one that is multicultural (due to proximity to McMaster University).

It's supposed to be re-integrated into the GO network when all-day service arrives in Hamilton. I may have this a bit wrong, but rush hour trains would still serve James South, while other trains would serve this James North "Westchester" Station. A new GO platform would be built in the vicinity of this station, but the station itself wouldn't be used. It is currently owned by LIUNA.
Yes. The entrance to new James Street North GO station would be across James Street from the old (LIUNA) station, with the platforms running from Macnab Street to almost Tiffany Street, and parking between Macnab Street and Hess Street.

There's a presentation showing details on GO's website from April.
www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/niagara/James_Street_North_Station_Design_Meeting_EN.pdf

The image below shows the plaza between the existing LIUNA station on the right, and the new GO station on the left.
hi-james-street-go-852-8col.jpg

The old station is indeed a reception hall now. See http://www.liunastation.com/ I guess now you can party and then stagger across the street and take GO home to anywhere near the Lakeshore line. Probably closer than the parking!

Last edited:
This won't mean much, for obvious reasons, but as someone in my 20s I have always thought of Hamilton as my second favourite city in Southern Ontario. As per The Grid article, I'm actually currently considering moving to Hamilton for school. After school? Who knows? I grew up in Toronto and love the place dearly, but for a change? I'll take Hamilton over most other comers.

I went to Mac as an antithesis to growing up in Ottawa... wanted a rougher, more blue-collar town to allow for different impacts on my life. I always look back at Hamilton with fond memories and hope the city will continue with its artistic renaissance.

What they could also consider developing, and there is plenty of space for this, is a start-up scene in the DT core. This would add vitality and infuse a lot of great things into the city!

Back