5K     0 

Balsillie, Coyotes willing to extend bid deadline to Sept. 15
Both parties also want judge to order mediation with NHL

June 18, 2009
Paul Morse
The Hamilton Spectator
With files from the Associated Press
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/585628

Jim Balsillie has formally agreed to extend the deadline of his bid to buy the Phoenix Coyotes to September.

But he also wants the NHL to decide yea or nay on relocating the struggling team from the Arizona desert to Hamilton — and on any relocation fees or indemnification — by July 31.

In joint motions filed today, the Phoenix Coyotes and Balsillie have also asked bankruptcy Judge Redfield T. Baum to force both sides to sit down in mediation to try to resolve the relocation/transfer fees issues.

“It reflects Jim Balsillie’s determination to bring an NHL team to Hamilton, that’s the bottom line,†Balsillie spokesman Bill Walker said tonight.

“For him to extend his offer to accommodate what Judge Baum has requested and also to accommodate the NHL’s need to give consideration to these matters, is a signal of his determination.â€

The NHL says four parties have filed preliminary applications to investigate purchasing the team and keeping it in Arizona — including Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of baseball’s Chicago White Sox and the NBA’s Chicago Bulls.

But the Coyotes say PSE Sports’ $212.5-million US bid is the only actual offer on the table — and they say extending the deadline until mid-September would still allow time for the team to be moved before next season.

“Notwithstanding the deadline for a close no later than the end of June 2009 in the initial PSE offer, PSE has indicated its willingness to continue to bid for the team and the assets, and indeed has indicated willingness to extend its closing deadline to mid-September 2009,†the Coyotes said in court filings.

“As such, the PSE offer is still a pending offer for the assets, and indeed, the only actual offer the debtors ave received to date for the assets.â€

Balsillie gets assist from Miller in NHL bid
Mayor says Steel City better suited than T.O. as home for new team

Jun 19, 2009 04:30 AM
Dale Anne Freed
Staff Reporter
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/653435

Mayor David Miller doesn't think Toronto needs another NHL team.

The mayor's top pick? Hamilton.

It's a matter of dollars and cents. Although he believes Toronto could take on another NHL team, "whether it would succeed financially or be the equivalent of the modern-day New York Islanders is debatable. But the Leafs have made sure that Maple Leaf Gardens cannot be used for hockey, so we would need a new arena," Miller wrote in an email to the Star last night.

So Miller has come out in strong favour of Mayor Fred Eisenberger's Steel City, and billionaire Jim Balsillie's bid, as the city to get an NHL team. "It's Hamilton's turn, we should respect that and give them our support. More fun too."

In a letter to Eisenberger yesterday, Miller wrote, "The Hamilton Coyotes would be a great addition to the NHL and Copps Coliseum would be a fabulous home for them.

"What a great rivalry it would create between the Coyotes and the Maple Leafs."

Explaining that a new NHL team needs to be located in the centre of a city, close to transit, Miller told the Star that "the only place to go is Hamilton ... an urban centre and that's where the team has to be."

He said he would "never support having a major rink in a suburban place in a rink that everybody has to drive ... a rink surrounded by parking lots."

He added: "It's bad for a whole host of reasons."

Miller also has sentimental reasons behind his pick. He watched the '87 Canada Cup at Copps Coliseum. "It was an incredible moment in Canadian hockey history," he explained. And he gushed "the rink was fantastic ... the perfect place to see NHL hockey."

When contacted by the Star last night, Eisenberger said he was "delighted" to have Miller's support, along with that of the mayors of Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.

As for whether Toronto should have a chance at another team, Eisenberger said, "I think one's enough."

Bill Walker, a spokesman for Balsillie, said, "We really appreciate Mayor Miller's support. A lot of hockey fans in Toronto would agree with him."

Of course he doesn't want a second team in Toronto. That would end his days of sitting at the trough of MLSE and taking advantage of an ACC private box.

He should just shut up about this.

I'm surprised that Miller, as Mayor of Toronto, is backing the Hamilton bid instead of being more supportive of a second team for the City. I'm not saying he should back the Toronto Legacy (more a fantasy than a serious proposal), but I'd expect him to use this opportunity to tout the benefits that a second NHL team would bring to Toronto.

"But the Leafs have made sure that Maple Leaf Gardens cannot be used for hockey, so we would need a new arena"

I wonder what Miller's position on MLG is. He's accepting MLSE's position that MLG cannot be used as an entertainment venue that would compete with the ACC. Would he back something like Eugene Melnyk's proposal to put the St. Mike's Majors in a renovated MLG, or even any OHL team in Toronto that would compete with the Leafs?

I'm surprised that Miller, as Mayor of Toronto, is backing the Hamilton bid instead of being more supportive of a second team for the City.

Cause Hamilton is just far enough for Mayor Miller's comfort, if it was closer to home for instance Mississauga, i wonder if he would be sending Mayor Hazel McCallion a letter supporting her city and a future state-of-the-art arena.

Cause Hamilton is just far enough for Mayor Miller's comfort, if it was closer to home for instance Mississauga, i wonder if he would be sending Mayor Hazel McCallion a letter supporting her city and a future state-of-the-art arena.

He already commented on Mississauga when he said:

He said he would "never support having a major rink in a suburban place in a rink that everybody has to drive ... a rink surrounded by parking lots."

Not sure why, however, the Mayor of Toronto would speak out in favour of a Hamilton bid for a team when there are at least two Toronto groups (who could possibly put forward a more transit friendly location than Hamilton) have expressed interest.....that part is strange.

He said he would "never support having a major rink in a suburban place in a rink that everybody has to drive ... a rink surrounded by parking lots." .

Then we are shit out of luck to land another NHL team in Toronto. A second Toronto NHL team would not set up shop in the downtown Toronto area anyways.

I don't see how that refers to Mississauga?

A great place to put an NHL team would be MCC. There's still land to develop there, and it could be combined with hotel and/or condos (like the ACC and its condos).

I think Hamilton deserves the Coyotes, but I definitely support a team for Mississauga as welml. Though it might be tough for the GTA to support NHL teams in Toronto, Mississauga AND Hamilton.

Then we are shit out of luck to land another NHL team in Toronto. A second Toronto NHL team would not set up shop in the downtown Toronto area anyways.

I think there are places in Toronto that would not fit the description of an arena surrounded by parking lots....certainly there are places on the subway where it could work.

Geez...don't some Kazakhstanians own a site at Yonge and Bloor that may be spare? They could build a rink and bring Nik Antropov back to Toronto!!!!

Last edited:
I don't see how that refers to Mississauga?

I was being, partly, tongue-in-cheek....but he did say he would not support a rink that:

1. suburban
2. everybody has to drive to
3. is surrounded by parking lots

It is more likely than not that any NHL rink built in Mississauga (or most/all of the Toronto suburbs for that matter) would fit that description.

He can say what he would not support all he wants, but what's he going to do if Markham, Vaughan, or Mississauga offers a sweetheart deal and the NHL says yes?

Now that almost all of the sudden we've got everyone and his mother wanting an NHL team for southern Ontario, and that chances are at least one of them will be successful, I have to wonder how those jokers who have been been pimping for an NFL Toronto team since forever are taking this. They must be miserable.

I have to wonder how those jokers who have been been pimping for an NFL Toronto team since forever are taking this. They must be miserable.

I think if if push comes to shove for Toronto to get a NFL team, commissioner Roger Goodell is much more flexible on the idea than Gary Bettman is to have a NHL team come to Toronto.

Last edited:

Back