News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

do you also suggest removing or relocating the 24 us based nhl teams so that we have an all canadian hockey league? how about the raptors?

Yeah also get rid of them, and while we are at it we might as well get rid of the Toronto FC they are all affiliated with American leagues. :D Now that we have finally got rid of every sports team in the city, we can now sit quitely in our cozy condos with nobody around yelling and watch a couple of episodes of the Trailer Park Boys. :eek:

Last edited:
Honestly--I don't get what this obsession with "covering the concrete" is about, other than a generic hatred for anything that seems Brutalist-ish. Sure, Skydome's use of concrete was never exactly "stylish" (remember: it had been at least a decade or more since Brutalism was last in fashion); but it's worn fairly well, seems expressive of function, doesn't seem *too* inhuman or narcissistic for the kind of structure it is, it compliments the CN Tower next door--and it isn't like enclosing its exterior in glass or brick, let alone in a post-Camden Yards retro-package, would be an improvement.

In the spirit of a town that can produce this, leave Skydome's concrete as nekkid as the day it was born.

One upgrade I'd like to see is for them to buy back the SkyDome name. Rogers centre sounds like just another performing arts theatre.

What the SkyDome really needs is renovation of its surrounding outdoor spaces. They were very elaborate when built, with fountains galore, but now they're looking quite shabby. The staircase on the west side's water cascade has become a fetid pond, while the maze of stairs on the east side has gardens strewn with weeds. I'm pleased that the fountain with the jumping fish has been restored, but the rest of the place needs work. I'd like to see a complete re-thinking of the pedestrian arrangement around there. Getting from Bremner to Front is not obvious or intuitive at all, especially on the east side of the dome, and the ground floor retail space all around is dead, excepting the new Rogers store. While decking over the rail tracks north of the dome would be a long term project, it would do a huge amount for the area.

And *that*, I'd agree with--including a finer-grained integration with the CN Tower, et al. (Wonder how much can be coordinated with an overall rethink of connections eastward, Skywalk etc.)

I think it would be fun to have a new stadium and even FUNNER! to ask for federal funds to build it and then watch as the ROC has a complete and utter meltdown over it.

Dominion Bridge, designer and fabricator of the steel roof went bankrupt over that roof. It cost them an extra $30 million to get it right. Their plant is now single houses off Jane St. They had plants in Alberta and Quebec also.

There is no need for a new stadium other some paint work and more upgrades.

Where are you going to place this new stadium other than 905???

What do you think it will cost Rogers to build a new one and why should they when the current one cost the only $25 million??

As a huge jays fan, I have no real desire to see a new stadium. The skydome suits our needs perfectly... has great sightlines, no rainouts, and looks great on the inside after all the money rogers has poured into it. The new concourse is just great.

My ONLY complaint is the name - Ro***s Centre (I refuse to say it). I HATE that name. It has been and always will be the skydome. I just want the name posted on the walls to reflect that.

I'm kinda torn. When the roof's open, it's a nice place to watch a game, but when the roof is closed - not so much. I really, really don't like the fact it's symmetrical. The Skydome was the cat's ass for a few years after it opened, but quickly became dated as all the throwback parks started popping up. I would have loved to have seen something like Milwaukee's Miller Park in its place.

10224152A%7EMilwaukee-Brewers-Miller-Park-Posters.jpg

On a side note, I spoke with the president of FieldTurf around the time they switched to his product and asked why they didn't go with an all dirt infield (would have made a hell of a difference) and he explained that the morons who built the place didn't put any sort of drainage system in the floor. D'oh.

There is no need for a new stadium other some paint work and more upgrades.

Where are you going to place this new stadium other than 905???

What do you think it will cost Rogers to build a new one and why should they when the current one cost the only $25 million??

Things change, say in the next 20 years, we land an olympics or get an NFL franchise, by then the Rogers centre will be 20 years older and pretty well obselete for anything.Sports venues are not like condo and office buildings where after many years you can just retrofit give them a paint job and everything is OK. They are more like airport terminals where millions of paying customers expect the best and most modern. Thats why you are seeing very few big time world citys with 40 year old sports venues, let alone Airport terminals.. There is nothing wrong with thinking ahead.

Things change, say in the next 20 years, we land an olympics or get an NFL franchise, by then the Rogers centre will be 20 years older and pretty well obselete for anything.Sports venues are not like condo and office buildings where after many years you can just retrofit give them a paint job and everything is OK. They are more like airport terminals where millions of paying customers expect the best and most modern. Thats why you are seeing very few big time world citys with 40 year old sports venues, let alone Airport terminals.. There is nothing wrong with thinking ahead.

*ahem* Wrigley Field *ahem* *ahem* Fenway Park *ahem*

Back