News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

it doesn't require expropriation. Just sound barriers.
The corridor is wide enough for 2 tracks for its entire length.
It looked barely wide enough; you will need to shift the existing trackage sideways, possibly little trenching, and shift some support structure (e.g. boxes, overheads), but it does look like a 2nd track can be squeezed in without expropriation in most cases. A good solid sound barriers will be required, otherwise, a kid in the backyard could theoretically reach over a backyard fence and touch a GO train!

Last edited:
Stil tight as that does not include trackside structures, electricification included, and you could still lean over a backyard fence to touch a gotrain, if there were not a sound barrier!

But it certainly is doable without expropriation.

Oh they could definitely do a lot of things to make it viable. Yup adding a pocket track/signal or modifying the system if a signal is already in place and adding a rule exception to accommodate quicker reversal are all options. But I was referring to the current situation and as we all know,intentionally or not, they sure do love to procrastinate don't they? I have little doubt it'll happen, its just the question of when that nobody ever seems to know until the moment is right upon us.

Right now those trains that terminate at Unionville, they just sit at the platform and immediately turn back around to head to Union nonstop, it doesn't go on any tailing track or anything. No reason that can't be done at Mount Joy if that becomes the all day terminus.

I agree with earlier discussions, off peak buses are often much faster than the train when traffic is good, it's a mixed bag, plus chances are the train will be hourly instead of 20-30 minute buses.
Thank You very much!

Stil tight as that does not include trackside structures, electricification included, and you could still lean over a backyard fence to touch a gotrain, if there were not a sound barrier!

But it certainly is doable without expropriation.

Wow. Seems easy, but is it.

This is great news and proof that Smartracks really is going ahead and not just another stale proposal.

I'm curious, when the twin these tracks are they also going to be putting up the electrical poles/overhead at the same time for electrification or would that make too much sense?

This is great news and proof that Smartracks really is going ahead and not just another stale proposal.

I'm curious, when the twin these tracks are they also going to be putting up the electrical poles/overhead at the same time for electrification or would that make too much sense?
What is great news? That extra track on the Stouffville line? That was planned long before anyone mentioned SmartTrack. It's for the full GO service to Markham. I'd think if SmartTrack was really going ahead anytime soon, they'd have delayed it, and would be putting a third track in places.

Oh they could definitely do a lot of things to make it viable. Yup adding a pocket track/signal or modifying the system if a signal is already in place and adding a rule exception to accommodate quicker reversal are all options. But I was referring to the current situation and as we all know,intentionally or not, they sure do love to procrastinate don't they? I have little doubt it'll happen, its just the question of when that nobody ever seems to know until the moment is right upon us.

I stand to be corrected with that signal, but didn't they use one of the masts with a mount for a lower head at that signal? If so, that could make the installation of a interlocking there a bit easier as the mast doesn't need to be replaced, and the ATCS/comm cabinets are basically drop-in and plug-and-play.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What is great news? That extra track on the Stouffville line? That was planned long before anyone mentioned SmartTrack. It's for the full GO service to Markham. I'd think if SmartTrack was really going ahead anytime soon, they'd have delayed it, and would be putting a third track in places.
It's not mutually exclusive. They were already pre-planning some aspects for GO RER (which SmartTrack essentially is), so would be leaving future plans for a third rail in places where the ROW easily allows (if not already) and overpass construction will probably leave a blank placeholder for an extra rail, like GO often does when they grade-separate and build overpasses.

It's not mutually exclusive. They were already pre-planning some aspects for GO RER (which SmartTrack essentially is), so would be leaving future plans for a third rail in places where the ROW easily allows (if not already) and overpass construction will probably leave a blank placeholder for an extra rail, like GO often does when they grade-separate and build overpasses.
Is SmartTrack essentially RER? When I point out that it is, and there's no point in the city worrying about it, I get told that it's actually more frequent, and not RER. When I say it isn't, and that the planned GO RER upgrades aren't sufficient, I get told it is.

I'm not sure the proponents of the deeply-flawed SmartTrack proposal are being entirely transparent.

I don't necessarily see a frequency difference between SmartTrack and RER. The Paris RER can be frequent at peak, like every 3 minutes, on some routes, in subway-style headways. SmartTrack shouldn't be marketed as having a frequency advantage over RER. Perhaps yes over legacy GO, though, but not GO RER.

Last edited:
Consultants are in the process of being hire for the Davenport Grade Separation and expect to see public meetings starting late this year for the Barrie Line.

No idea where mile 3.12 Weston is, but the bridge there is to be rehabilitated. Unless this is the 401 bridge, I thought all the bridges have been worked on these past few years.

Tenders have close for doing riders counts at all GO stations.

Tenders have close for storage tracks for the UPX Fleet.

A new pedestrian bridge is to be built for the Ajax station.

Back