News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My guess is that if the Bowmanville extension gets built then GO will use both stations. Given that the Bowmanville extension runs on CP track, it will be rush hour only and most trains will continue to terminate at Oshawa GO.

Sounds very much like the situation in Hamilton. I would have suspected that would have been something that GO would have wanted to avoid though.

The setup that I've envisioned (not based on anything official, just my take on it) is that the branch into downtown Oshawa and Bowmanville will be hourly service with slightly higher during peak, and the RER will terminate at the current Oshawa station. This would be a similar configuration to other RER setups, like for example the Barrie line. It's projected to have RER up to Aurora, and conventional GO trains beyond there. The difference here is that the terminus point for the RER would in essence be a branch off the thru line.

The setup that I've envisioned (not based on anything official, just my take on it) is that the branch into downtown Oshawa and Bowmanville will be hourly service with slightly higher during peak, and the RER will terminate at the current Oshawa station. This would be a similar configuration to other RER setups, like for example the Barrie line. It's projected to have RER up to Aurora, and conventional GO trains beyond there. The difference here is that the terminus point for the RER would in essence be a branch off the thru line.

Funny because I envisioned it the other way around for one reason: the new branch downtown will go...well...downtown!

You want RER lines to be in walkable/bussable areas, basically areas with higher density. The focus will be away from the car and intermodal transportaion hubs. Also, there already is some NIMBYISM with GO proceeding with using this branch: in 2013 when they announced it there was local backlash of "loud stinky diesel trains going through peoples backyards". Electric trains will have much less local opposition.

"support for GO Transit expansion to Bowmanville, but a preference to keep the alignment south of Highway 401 to avoid disrupting residential areas."

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd.../20130214_BoardMtg_The_Big_Move_Update_EN.pdf

So, it would make much more sense for the RER to go into the heart of Whitby and Oshawa rather than the peak service, peak service could still be at the current stations with their massive parking lots for the commuters.

However, Bowmanville will definitely be peak service at first (and maybe forever, it might be "too far" for RER, I already think Oshawa is a bit far, and is only getting RER because it gets 30 minute all day service now) and its supposed to use the CPR corridor. (the new branch)

Its a weird conundrum.

Perhaps with the opposition we will see RER use the branch and terminate in Oshawa, and see another extension of the old GO train tracks along the CN route to Bowmanville for peak service using the diesel trains.

Last edited:
That area could benefit from a Weston type of grade separation anyway. Adding 2 more dedicated GO tracks would provide a pretty good impetus for that.
No it would not as it would have a major impact on CP as well having the room to put in a underpass on Thomas St for the grade separation.

The NIMBY folks would be bitching at the noise the engines would be making climbing the grade. Also, its a short distance to be at grade to go over Britannia Rd underpass that is built for 6 tracks.

Funny because I envisioned it the other way around for one reason: the new branch downtown will go...well...downtown!

You want RER lines to be in walkable/bussable areas, basically areas with higher density. The focus will be away from the car and intermodal transportaion hubs. Also, there already is some NIMBYISM with GO proceeding with using this branch: in 2013 when they announced it there was local backlash of "loud stinky diesel trains going through peoples backyards". Electric trains will have much less local opposition.

"support for GO Transit expansion to Bowmanville, but a preference to keep the alignment south of Highway 401 to avoid disrupting residential areas."

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd.../20130214_BoardMtg_The_Big_Move_Update_EN.pdf

So, it would make much more sense for the RER to go into the heart of Whitby and Oshawa rather than the peak service, peak service could still be at the current stations with their massive parking lots for the commuters.

However, Bowmanville will definitely be peak service at first (and maybe forever, it might be "too far" for RER, I already think Oshawa is a bit far, and is only getting RER because it gets 30 minute all day service now) and its supposed to use the CPR corridor. (the new branch)

Its a weird conundrum.

Perhaps with the opposition we will see RER use the branch and terminate in Oshawa, and see another extension of the old GO train tracks along the CN route to Bowmanville for peak service using the diesel trains.

That's a good point. On most of my maps I did indeed show it that way (RER to Bowmanville via downtown Oshawa). To me though, that configuration makes much more sense if a longer-range type GO service is introduced to either Port Hope or Cobourg. Downtown Oshawa could definitely benefit from the RER though, even if it's not right in the core.

No it would not as it would have a major impact on CP as well having the room to put in a underpass on Thomas St for the grade separation.

The NIMBY folks would be bitching at the noise the engines would be making climbing the grade. Also, its a short distance to be at grade to go over Britannia Rd underpass that is built for 6 tracks.

Good points. Although I suspect that the amount of noise generated from a train climbing a grade in a trench would still probably be less from ground level than a train on flat ground at ground level. From what I remember, there isn't really much in the form of noise abatement in that area right now.

go_station_4.jpg

New Oshawa GO Station

http://www.oshawaexpress.ca/viewposting.php?view=8383

Meanwhile, plans are ongoing for the line to extend further east toward Bowmanville.

The proposed extension would see another station be built in Oshawa on the site of the former Knob Hill Farms property. Metrolinx expropriated the land in July 2014.

“The upgrades at the Oshawa station doesn’t preclude any other expansion of services, for example, to Bowmanville. That is still in our plans, but we don’t have funding to announce for that yet,” Aikens says.

http://www.oshawaexpress.ca/viewposting.php?view=8383

That's a good point. On most of my maps I did indeed show it that way (RER to Bowmanville via downtown Oshawa). To me though, that configuration makes much more sense if a longer-range type GO service is introduced to either Port Hope or Cobourg. Downtown Oshawa could definitely benefit from the RER though, even if it's not right in the core.

Good points. Although I suspect that the amount of noise generated from a train climbing a grade in a trench would still probably be less from ground level than a train on flat ground at ground level. From what I remember, there isn't really much in the form of noise abatement in that area right now.

If the RER goes along the CP mainline into Oshawa and not to Bowmanville, they could always make another flyover of the highway later down the CN tracks. They come really close here

http://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang...lon=-78.79491090774535&zoom=15&style=standard

That way the bilevels stay out of Oshawa but can still go downtown Bowmanville and RER can terminate at Oshawa, because, in my opinion thats already excessively far for a 15 minute service that makes all stops.

First rule of liberal provincial spending: why build one when you can have 2 at twice the price.

Barrie Line double-tracking update, 5 September 2015

Looking north from Langstaff: the new track will be west of the existing one.
barrie_doubletrack1-jpg.54275

Looking south from Langstaff: the new track will be east of the existing one, so track realignment will be necessary here. Hopefully the track speed won't be negatively affected.
barrie_doubletrack2-jpg.54276

Closer look at the embankment widening south of Langstaff: here it extends much further east than I would have expected given that they're adding only one additional track. Note the crane installing a culvert over a stream.
barrie_doubletrack3-jpg.54277

Closeup of the culvert. I don't know if this is the frame of the new permanent structure or just temporary support for it.
barrie_doubletrack6-jpg.54278

Attachments

• Barrie_doubletrack1.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 1,348
  • Barrie_doubletrack2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,337
  • Barrie_doubletrack3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,297
  • Barrie_doubletrack6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,288
Sept 10
Another monthly visit to Burlington and nothing new on the station other than more cars are parked in the construction zone, but next to no workers in sight.

50% of the south parking lot torn up and to be rebuilt. The next west area is pave and open for parking. The driveway has been clean up with material moved into the loop area so cars can use the driveway. Construction fences have been moved onto the new bus platforms so cars can park there as well able to walk to the station.

PU markings have been place in the new lot that will require drivers to make 2 left and 1 right turn to get out of the lot.
21337797876_3167e424b7_b.jpg

21337650106_34a327f097_b.jpg

21175818490_a36826efaf_b.jpg

21363933875_686fcf9fa3_b.jpg

21176079798_939db3ea9e_b.jpg

21176100088_9b66ff57b5_b.jpg

20742858483_c44afdb6eb_b.jpg

20742870013_b0082e5eee_b.jpg

Back