News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Barrie Line double tracking update, October 15, 2016

Here's the completed work from last weekend: the east (pre-existing) track has been realigned to make room for the new second track.
30367856525_325ea643db_b.jpg

Unless I am missing something, my last visit before this one saw CP new gates and flashing lights as well the bell working like all other crossing, as a southbound train approach it. It work like the King St crossing and I saw no issues or different between them.

Not my field of knowledge, but seeing 1,000's of these over the year, it was work fine like the others. I have seen ones with issues, but they are very rare.

To be honest, I didn't press my contact at the time - perhaps I should have. I too noted that the lights seemed to be working, but all he told me was that CPR needed to finish the install in some way.

And considering how they (and CN) have dragged their feet on projects like this before, I am inclined to believe him.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In the last three weeks, I have almost been forced to park streetside outside of Aldershot's south parking lot. It has been near full more consistently as of late. Does Metrolinx own the vacant land immediately to west of the Aldershot lot, or only the space immediately to the east (that looks levelled for an upcoming parking lot expansion)?

Aldershot GO definitely will need to have a garage by 2025(ish) if this is the terminus of electrified 15-min service. Even with the nearby Aldershot densification.

Does Metrolinx own the vacant land immediately to west of the Aldershot lot, or only the space immediately to the east (that looks levelled for an upcoming parking lot expansion)?

Yes they do and it's enough for about 900 additional spaces (design is complete); a little over a 50% increase in capacity.

I recall construction was tendered in September but don't have access to closed Merx documents. Construction should start sometime in 2017.

Last edited:
Noticed a few tenders on the Metrolinx website that might be of interest. Apologies if these have already been posted:
  • Advisory Services for the RER Capital Delivery Program (RFP-2016-CST-024). Closing date: November 3, 2016;
  • Union Station Rail Corridor West Approach Signalling Project (RFP-2016-CWC-002). Closing date: January 12, 2017; and
  • Phase 3 – GO Transit Train Control System - Construction of a Business Resumption Centre at the Don Yard Metrolinx (No. PT-2016-NFW-015). Closing date: November 10, 2016

Dd d. S s.
Yes they do and it's enough for about 900 additional spaces (design is complete); a little over a 50% increase in capacity.

I recall construction was tendered in September but don't have access to closed Merx documents. Construction should start sometime in 2017.
Both sides? (East and west sides?)

Eventually, with the ongoing Aldershot densification occuring, they should save space for Mobility Hub developments (Aldershot is in the master plan as a Mobility Hub)

Paid parking, even.

Even further away, with condos and four-plus storey townhomes already replacing suburban homes at Plains and Waterdown within 1km of Aldershot GO, this will be a totally different area come 2025. There probably will no longer be single detached dwellings on Waterdown in the block between Plains and Masonry (the access to south lot of Aldershot GO), on the cusp of being bought out and developer-bought houses demolished Kitchener-Waterloo-style into condos -- now that the Plains-Waterdown intersection is being built up.

Given such inevitability, I am not sure if sprawling surface parking lot is a good idea given the nearby new development... but perhaps surface parking is just an interim step till land values warrant development there (in conjunction to a future massive parking garage, probably).

Last edited:
Will this lead to all day, 2 way service to Barrie, including weekends? 2 weeks ago I had to take a Go bus to Barrie, and it took forever. I really want the train...

Will this lead to all day, 2 way service to Barrie, including weekends? 2 weeks ago I had to take a Go bus to Barrie, and it took forever. I really want the train...

^yup. The train still takes nearly 2 hours, though.

I think it has something to do with how far away Barrie is from Union....I could, of course, be wrong on that. KW has a similar issue as does Niagara ;)

Back