News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why does that presentation say that an additional track is necessary between Union Station and Mount Pleasant just for 15-minute service to Bramalea? Hopefully it means more they are more serious about full two-way service to Brampton and Mount Pleasant than just the rush hour and partial weekday hourly service.

Why does that presentation say that an additional track is necessary between Union Station and Mount Pleasant just for 15-minute service to Bramalea? Hopefully it means more they are more serious about full two-way service to Brampton and Mount Pleasant than just the rush hour and partial weekday hourly service.

I think it's just poor wording due to the way the funding/tender is laid out.

The federal/provincial funding announcement included 40km of track between Mount Pleasant and Union. So while track between Mount Pleasant and Bramalea won't impact Bramalea/Union service, any added track closer to Union will and it's all part of the same package.

The 'Go Slow' order through Guelp's west side was the result of a series of deadly crossing collisions. I'm curious as to how TC views safety being improved by the changes proposed/scheduled?

I can't speak for TC, but there are plenty of solutions that could be implemented - better gates, traffic signals with integration, etc. that would make it much more difficult for a motorist to stray into the crossing in the path of a train. Until now, nobody had the desire or money to design or implement these. The TC order may be appropriate under current conditions but a different design is a new ball game.

- Paul

I can't speak for TC, but there are plenty of solutions that could be implemented - better gates, traffic signals with integration, etc. that would make it much more difficult for a motorist to stray into the crossing in the path of a train. Until now, nobody had the desire or money to design or implement these. The TC order may be appropriate under current conditions but a different design is a new ball game.

- Paul

It's also because GEXR let the track conditions in the Guelph Junction area (where there are a few yard tracks) go to shite - hence the plans for improved turnouts (switches) as well. The trains don't pick up speed going westbound once they pass Edinburgh; they finally accelerate almost at Highway 6.

- Paul
RBT is exactly right about trenching, and the grade already indicates doing the opposite. All grade separation along that stretch that's been done have been underpasses, for good reason.

Silver Creek Pkwy is next, if any, for an underpass, but the left hand hasn't a clue as to what the right foot is doing. CTC signals and control box have been installed *right in the path* of doing so. Edinburgh should definitely be grade separated.

There's something odd about the believability of that Metrolinx release. It might just be banter for the banal. I'm going to keep my eye on the Guelph press, since such matters are seized upon by the local press....

Nothing showing yet but this is of interest, and quite surprising:

Guelph Transit ridership up 44%
https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/7599966-guelph-transit-ridership-up-44-/

Last edited:
Surprising.

Hamilton, Ontario can even learn from Guelph in this case.
Perhaps...I haven't had the time to read the article, but Guelph Transit had been driven into the mud through no fault of successive managers. Guelph is an odd place in many respects, I lived there for five years. They brag about being a leading model for being Green et al, but ran one of the most inefficient and underfunded transit systems I'm aware of. The local model to copy would be GRT, who also have oddities, but offer incredibly good value in terms of distance per fare and serviced routes. Where both Guelph and Waterloo Region fall short is in integrating co-fare with GO.

Waterloo Region, as the name implies, benefits from regional government. Guelph pays the price for not only resisting joining any region (save for precious few programs with Wellington County, health mostly) but being a 'city-county' in itself. It's a very inefficient way to see return on taxes. Guelph has no-one to blame but herself on that. That scales up to the resistance of many municipalities to fully integrate fare structures with GO. We all end-up paying more for less.

Last edited:
Perhaps...I haven't had the time to read the article, but Guelph Transit had been driven into the mud.
Muddy yes, but less muddy than the last few decades of HSR.
Inflation-adjusted, HSR gets less than half the funding it used to get.

Sad statistic -- Over the last decade, HSR ridership increased the least of all the GTHA transit services.

(Not sure how Guelph Transit funding evolved)

(Not sure how Guelph Transit funding evolved)
Since this isn't the most apt string (there is a Guelph Transit one) I'll give short answer: Present Mayor (and a friend, we've jammed together, he was also helpful and effective as a councillor) was elected on a 'conservative' platform, which included being stingy with Guelph Transit.

And yet here's Cam now boasting about Guelph Transit's success in his latest blog which just came in:

#Guelph Transit Ridership Up 44%. That’s Right. 44%!
by Cam Guthrie

Guelph, Ont., October 6, 2017 – Guelph Transit’s boarding and ridership numbers for September show an overall increase of 44 per cent over 2016.
Last month, 759,053 trips were taken compared to 524,694 during the same time last year. There was also a 15 per cent increase in fare paying riders.
“The numbers clearly show that last month’s route realignment is off to an impressive start and that we’re meeting our goal to put buses where and when people need them the most,” says Mike Spicer, Guelph Transit general manager.
“This is great news for Guelph Transit and the entire city,” adds Mayor Cam Guthrie. “I’m thankful for the leadership at Guelph Transit, being able to achieve these results within the existing 2017 budget. I’m excited for what 2018 and beyond will bring for current and new riders. When more people take transit, it eases traffic congestion, reduces smog and creates a more connected city.”
On September 3, Guelph Transit realigned its routes to increase the frequency of buses in areas where there is a greater demand for the service.
Since the changes were made, ridership has increased in most areas of the city, including north end routes that weren’t significantly impacted by the route realignment. In fact, routes 10, 11 and 12 are up about 40 per cent, and Route 20 is up 53 per cent. Ridership on the main University express routes has doubled on three out of four routes while the new 99 Mainline—running north and south along the Gordon/Norfolk/Woolwich corridor—had 25 per cent of last month’s ridership.
Looking ahead, Spicer says further data analysis and feedback from the public and transit operators will help to determine where system adjustments might be needed.
“We’ll continue to look for ways to improve the service as we work toward building an efficient and effective transit system for Guelph.”
Media contact:

Colleen Clack
Deputy CAO Public Services

City of Guelph

519-822-1260 extension 2588

colleen.clack@guelph.ca

Cam Guthrie | October 6, 2017 at 1:57 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/p5zU3U-JU

There might be lessons to be learned from this, and some readers might want to follow this to see what's happened, and why, and if there's lessons to learn. Figures can and do 'lie'. That this was accomplished without a budget increase is reason to view it with caution. Context is everything, but I am glad to see Cam's slow migration by experience towards centre.

What I can add to bring it back toward the GO string surmise is that this might well help the case for full co-fare integration with GO Transit. Cam, although a frugal sort (it's his Scottish and insurance roots) like many, likes to back a winner. Guelph Transit's case is well worth watching to see if this marked rider increase is sustained.

Last edited:
Hey, I was thinking the names of the Lakeshore GO lines are somewhat unique in that they refer to the route, not the terminus. And I was thinking that more of that would help foster understanding that GO can play a useful role in intra-Toronto and intra-416 transport, not just exurbs<-->core.

In that spirit, what about:
- Richmond Hill Line --> Don Valley Line;
- Barrie Line --> York West Line (passes through York-Centre-Weston, western North York, western York Region, I figure) ?

- Paul
I was digging to find out what has been tendered in the past on this, and why Guelph is still stuck with the infamous 10 mph Go Slow section:

Notice Description

OPEN ADVERTISEMENT - GEXR CTC AND CROSSING UPGRADE PROJECT

Companies interested in bidding on the proposed project must contact Kristine Storm, AVP Purchasing in writing at kristine.storm@railamerica.com no later than Tuesday the 9th of July, 2012 to be prequalified in order to obtain the instructions on how to acquire the Tender Documents electronically.

1.0 OVERVIEW
1.1 Object
You are invited to submit a Tender for work that will include the supply of all labor, material, equipment and superintendence to undertake the following projects on the Goderich-Exeter Railway Company Ltd’s Guelph Subdivision in the Province of Ontario:
1.1.1 CTC: Design, Supply, Install, Test and Commission of a Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) system consisting of 5 sidings, two interface points with CN, one interface point with CP’s Bucke Diamond, intermediate signals and CTC repeaters on the GEXR Guelph Subdivision between Mile 30.00 and Mile 119.12.
1.1.2 CROSSING UPGRADES: Design, Supply, Install or Modify/Upgrade, test and commission Automatic Warning Device systems.
The extent of the required Work, the details, and the conditions under which the Work shall be performed, are outlined in the Section 2 entitled Scope of Work & Special Provisions and Section 3 entitled Signal Technical Specifications contained in these Tender documents.
1.2 Completion of the work
Work shall be completed by Friday, May 2, 2014 and as such, tender prices and schedules shall be prepared guided by this date, working back to a proposed start date in order to attain this completion target.
1.3 Closing Date
Tenders must be received no later than 1400 hrs (2:00 p.m. - Eastern Standard Time) on Monday, August 20, 2012.
1.3 Mandatory Requirements
- Bid Bonds
- Consent of Surety for Performance Bond and Labour & material Payment Bond
- Undertaking for Insurance

http://www.merx.com/English/Supplier_menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR248098&HID=&src=nm&searchtype=&hcode=FmWN/8/ECVSxyajCbr7VvA==

And here we are, still with the Go Slow. (IIRC between mile 48.8 and 49.8)

Edit to Add: Some more background from Railway Age, written by Steve Host, who writes about local rail issues for a number of publications:
Guelph Subdivision upgraded to CTC
Written by Steve Host, for Railway Age
Steve Host
VIA Rail on Nov. 14, 2015, commissioned CTC (centralized traffic control) on its entire North Mainline (Guelph Subdivision) between Georgetown and London, Ontario.

In conjunction with the Genesee & Wyoming’s Goderich-Exeter Railway, which leases the right-of-way from CN for freight service, and GO Transit/Metrolinx, which recently purchased the Kitchener-Georgetown section of the line from CN, VIA Rail fully funded the C$25 million upgrade program. PNR Railworks contracted to perform the work.

The CTC project includes new wayside signals; new crossing protection (conforming to Transport Canada regulations), upgrading all crossings to automatic warning devices; automatic remotely controlled switches; and switch heaters at three passing sidings (Kellys, Stratford, Kitchener). Railterm will continue to dispatch the line.

CTC is expected to increase capacity on the line, allowing VIA and Metrolinx to increase train frequencies. Metrolinx plans to add two more departures to/from Kitchener by 2016 or 2017. VIA Rail initially planned to add up to three departures when the project was planned some 8 years ago, but delays due to disagreements with freight operator Goderich-Exeter, and the recent addition of GO Transit departures out of Kitchener may curtail VIA's plans.

CTC also has the potential to increase safety. In 1999, a deadly accident caused by a misaligned switch occurred at Thamesville, Ontario, in what was then dark territory on the CN Chatham Subdivision. As a result, upgrades to busy passenger lines in Ontario were quickly completed to avoid a repeat, but the North Mainline remained dark territory. In 2006, two near misses, both involving freight and passenger trains, occurred on the North Mainline. They are the likely catalyst to finalize funding and construction of this project.
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/communications/guelph-subdivision-upgraded-to-ctc.html

Anyone have details on the order from TC, and why this didn't satisfy their requirements to at least increase the 'Go Slow' speed?

Last edited:
Replacing the existing grade crossing signals when installing CTC does not imply improving the grade crossing safety envelope. The crossing signal circuitry and the CTC signalling circuits have to play nice with each other. Both connect directly to the rails. The existing grade crossing circuits were older and may not have been compatible with the newer CTC equipment.

The Guelph Sub CTC installation was done at the lowest possible cost. And, I mean lowest. It's far more spartan than say the Brockville or Smiths Falls Subs. So I would not have expected the VIA CTC to have addressed whatever safety concerns TC had. Maybe the new crossing gates are bigger and better than the older, but it was fundamentally a replace-in-kind proposition.

- Paul

The Guelph Sub CTC installation was done at the lowest possible cost. And, I mean lowest. It's far more spartan than say the Brockville or Smiths Falls Subs. So I would not have expected the VIA CTC to have addressed whatever safety concerns TC had. Maybe the new crossing gates are bigger and better than the older, but it was fundamentally a replace-in-kind proposition.
That certainly appears to be the case. What I find curious (I'm being diplomatic) is that the tenders implied that road crossing safety was being addressed. Host's Railway Age article states: "new crossing protection (conforming to Transport Canada regulations)". He may also have been misled, his pieces I've read have always been based on reference, so there appears to be either 'sleight of hand' in the releases, or something on TC's part not being divulged.

I don't know how often it's happened, but the Silver Creek Parkway (presently closed at the crossing until the underpass is built) now hosts both signals and the control shack *dead centre* over top of the road alignment.

WTF were they thinking? Or was it purposefully done to complicate building an underpass, for which the (railway owner or operator) would be liable for paying half the cost that the Feds don't cover?
[...]
The city is doing an environmental assessment of an underpass that would need to be built under the CN line south of Paisley Road as part of the new road connection. “We plan to start construction in 2012 after the environmental assessment is completed,” Philips said of the underpass. “It is difficult to say how long it will take. It may go into 2013, depending when we start in 2012.”

The city held a public meeting related to the environmental assessment last week, and a recommended design for the new road connection will go to another public meeting in January, he said in an interview.

Silvercreek hasn’t been connected since 1975, when part of the road was closed in conjunction with the building of the Hanlon Expressway, he said.[...]
https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/5862223-development-will-see-new-look-silvercreek-parkway/

See also: https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-...ider-roadwork-holding-up-lafarge-development/

There is a City study on the underpass, but I'm unable to find it with Google at this time. IIRC, the City has done a separate study on the entire 'Go Slow' mile. I'll try and locate it later. Any help others can provide much appreciated.

Can you imagine if it took this long to build the Transcontinental Railway how we'd now be living? Pass me some more Beaver meat, and give me the pelt, I'm cold...

Edit to Add: Still can't find the TC regs, manually scanned https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/railsafety-570.htm in case it's listed under an abbreviation or some other operating name, but did find this, for east of Guelph station:
upload_2017-10-8_11-45-7.png

[...]
http://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads...and-Rail-and-Vibration-Noise-Impact-Study.pdf
"70 mph for commuter" east of the station. That's quite a contrast.

Further reading reveals this, something the press never did to the best of my knowledge. One wonders if CTC would have revealed this event, let alone prevent it:

From the TSB:
[...]
Other Factual Information
On 06 June 2006, westward VIA Rail Canada Inc. (VIA) train 87 (train 87), en route from Toronto, Ontario, to Sarnia, Ontario, was proceeding at 30 mph (over a temporary slow order) near New Hamburg, Ontario, on the Goderich-Exeter Railway Company (GEXR) Guelph Subdivision (Figure 1). At 1931 eastern daylight time,1 GEXR train 518 (train 518), working on the main track at Mile 75, heard an automated radio broadcast report originating from the hot box detector (HBD) located at Mile 73.7. The automated report indicated that a train had just passed that location. Realizing that a train collision could be imminent, the crew of train 518, using the train radio, immediately requested the approaching train to stop. Upon hearing the radio broadcast from train 518, the crew of train 87 applied a full service brake application and the train came to a stop at approximately Mile 74.

figure_1.gif

Figure 1. Incident location on the Guelph Subdivision (Source: Railway Association of Canada, Canadian Railway Atlas)

The crew of train 87 then called train 518 over the radio and asked for their cellular telephone number. After receiving the telephone number, train 87 contacted train 518 by cellular telephone. During this conversation, an agreement was made that train 87 would back up clear of the siding switch at Mile 73.85 (Alpine). Train 518 would then enter the siding to allow the passenger train to continue westward. After conducting these movements, both trains then completed their tours of duty. This incident was not reported to the appropriate personnel (at VIA and GEXR) at the time of the incident, nor upon completion of the crews' tours of duty.

Before departing Kitchener, Ontario, train 87 had received a clearance to proceed from Mile 64 (Kitchener) to the west siding switch at Stratford (approximately Mile 88.5). This clearance contained a restriction to protect against train 518 between Mile 72 and the west siding switch at Stratford. At 1924, approximately seven minutes before reaching Mile 72, the conductor2 on train 87 used the assigned cellular telephone to contact train 518 to obtain permission and instructions through the restricted limits. However, the conductor inadvertently dialed the wrong telephone number, resulting in a call to GEXR train 433 (train 433) that was working in London Yard (Mile 119.9). At that time, train 433 was performing a switching operation. With the conductor on the track at the rear of the train, the locomotive engineer answered the call.

The conductor of train 87 immediately recognized the locomotive engineer's voice and thought that he was speaking to train 518. During the conversation, proper identification was not established and the misidentification was not detected. When train 87 requested permission to travel through the work limits, the crew of train 433 reasoned that train 87 would go through their work limits before they would return to foul the main track. While it was unusual that train 87 had called so early, train 433 did not foresee any problems with providing permission to the VIA train to travel through their work limits. Upon receiving permission, a clear understanding in writing of this permission given by train 433 to train 87 was not copied by all required crew members.

As a result of the conversation, the crew members of train 87 believed that they had obtained permission through the limits of the clearance held by train 518. It was not until receiving the urgent request to stop and then speaking with the crew of train 518 that the crew members of train 87 realized that they did not have permission to enter the limits.

[...]
http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/rail/2006/r06h0013/r06h0013.asp

Chilling...

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-8_11-45-7.png
    upload_2017-10-8_11-45-7.png
    32 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
That certainly appears to be the case. What I find curious (I'm being diplomatic) is that the tenders implied that road crossing safety was being addressed. Host's Railway Age article states: "new crossing protection (conforming to Transport Canada regulations)". He may also have been misled, his pieces I've read have always been based on reference, so there appears to be either 'sleight of hand' in the releases, or something on TC's part not being divulged.

I would read that a little less specifically. If you buy a new car today, it will 'conform to federal regulations'. That doesn't mean it will go faster and further than your old car. It may still be a beater, but one with the required airbags and seatbelts.

I don't know how often it's happened, but the Silver Creek Parkway (presently closed at the crossing until the underpass is built) now hosts both signals and the control shack *dead centre* over top of the road alignment.

There's definitely a statement here about how fast things changed (ie how little true planning and strategy there was) and how little collaboration there was between VIA and GO. The design was a bandaid to TC concerns about running passenger trains over old, 'dark' rail. GO and the Province were not looking to chip in on improvements. GEXR did not need CTC for its freight operations. VIA had no mandate to make improvements.

Further reading reveals this, something the press never did to the best of my knowledge. One wonders if CTC would have revealed this event, let alone prevent it:...

I won't speculate on this particular event, but.... while CTC does add layers of accident prevention over what was in place on GEXR at the time, it is not foolproof against wilful disregard of the rules nor against 'honest' human error. I do know that in this instance both train crews were eventually fired and the termination was upheld in arbitration. (The VIA termination award is on line in the CROA database, but I'm too lazy to go looking for the link). Higher order signalling eg PTC will add further safety assurance.

Certainly, the railroads are not about to fess up publicly to stuff. I am aware of one event involving a fully loaded GO train that was newsworthy. GO announced the event and resulting delay on their website simply as a 'switch malfunction'. I only found out because I was on the following train, which had to be bustituted. Being curious, I asked someone who knew the inside story. The public's 'right to know' is limited to what must be reported to TC, and what they then choose to investigate and report publicly.

- Paul

Back