News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wish we could build transit as fast as we build condos...
Firstly, “we” do not build condos......individual corporate entities do.

Secondly, while the pace of transit project construction frustrates me, there are just too many differences between them and condos to support making any comparison.

Firstly, “we” do not build condos......individual corporate entities do.

Secondly, while the pace of transit project construction frustrates me, there are just too many differences between them and condos to support making any comparison.
Well, we Torontonians...Lol

Yes fair point, but if we don't keep up with pace of condo building, overcrowding is the outcome.

This is more parking. Metrolinx needs to go serious about expanded train service.
There’s is an urban blindness to these comments. Has anyone here ever lived in a small town? How would one get to a train in Grimsby?

Don’t build the parking lot. Let them drive to Scarborough. Fine.

There is nothing wrong with parking. Even in Europe plenty of people drive to train stations.

There is nothing wrong with parking. Even in Europe plenty of people drive to train stations.

True, but don’t assume that in these other places free parking is provided everywhere with the intent to meet or exceed demand, with no consideration of the cost of providing the parking. GO has been in an extreme position by trying to stay ahead of the curve on demand, which is unsustainable.

New Jersey Transit charges for parking in some places where demand is high. I’m not even sure they own the lots, as opposed to the local municipalities or private operators. Their philosophy: if you are offended by the cost, by all means drive to Manhattan and park there instead. /s

We just need to get on with last mile solutions.

- Paul

There’s is an urban blindness to these comments. Has anyone here ever lived in a small town? How would one get to a train in Grimsby?

Don’t build the parking lot. Let them drive to Scarborough. Fine.

I would have no problem with this if they were actually going to provide the service, instead of making people in Grimsby drive to the station only take a bus transfer at Burlington.

Are they safeguards in place preventing *shudder* Premier Thug making it his first order of business to immediately cancel every transit project and proposal initiated by the liberals?--a la, Mayor Slob cancelling TC on his first day?

Are they safeguards in place preventing *shudder* Premier Thug making it his first order of business to immediately cancel every transit project and proposal initiated by the liberals?--a la, Mayor Slob cancelling TC on his first day?

Nope. The only safeguard is whatever cancellation penalties are written into any contracts that have been signed to date. No sensible politician would spend hundreds of million dollars to cancel contracts for streetcars or, heaven forbid, construction of plant facilities.

However, I think he would have more political difficulty cancelling projects that are underway and/or have been committed to specific communities, after taking the Liberals to task for doing this. But some will get put on the shelf.

- Paul

Nope. The only safeguard is whatever cancellation penalties are written into any contracts that have been signed to date. No sensible politician would spend hundreds of million dollars to cancel contracts for streetcars or, heaven forbid, construction of plant facilities.

However, I think he would have more political difficulty cancelling projects that are underway and/or have been committed to specific communities, after taking the Liberals to task for doing this. But some will get put on the shelf.

- Paul

I wonder how many contracts Wynne will sign in the next couple of months that give gobs of cash to her cronies without the correct amount of value for money checks as well as competitive bidding.

I wonder how many contracts Wynne will sign in the next couple of months that give gobs of cash to her cronies without the correct amount of value for money checks as well as competitive bidding.

Something tells me that Thug will have no trouble overtaking Wynne when it comes to rewarding his own cronies and family members.

I think we're forgetting that DoFo is not exactly a sensible politician. He wouldn't hesitate to cancel the projects even if the contracts were signed off.

I think we're forgetting that DoFo is not exactly a sensible politician. He wouldn't hesitate to cancel the projects even if the contracts were signed off.

Exactly. Any project in Ontario that doesn't have shovels in the ground is a possibility for alteration or cancellation -- remember that cancellation fees, while punitive, typically pale in comparison to the overall value of the project.

So, if certain promises mandate that you find significant "efficiencies" across government, cancellation fees can easily wind up being the only logical option insofar as they're the lesser of two fiscal evils.

Exactly. Any project in Ontario that doesn't have shovels in the ground is a possibility for alteration or cancellation -- remember that cancellation fees, while punitive, typically pale in comparison to the overall value of the project.

So, if certain promises mandate that you find significant "efficiencies" across government, cancellation fees can easily wind up being the only logical option insofar as they're the lesser of two fiscal evils.
Even when shovels were in the ground it was cancelled (Eglinton Subway...)

Back