News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Shame it was not done in 2015 even for a 6-coach section,

Because of how and where the station was built, building that additional face on the platform would have greatly complicated things and lengthened the amount of time required to complete the project.

Remember, they built it away from the active railroad. Build it in an active railroad, and that changes the staffing and coordination requirements.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I still prefer a service model w/30m service all-day to downtown Hamilton, 30m service all-day to West Harbour.

You have the option of Niagara Service being 30m (or hourly) running strictly to or through West Harbour, but I stand by my notion (notwithstanding the expense) of using the Hamilton Belt line to connect the two. So if desired, you run the service 15m to Niagara and send 1/2 to/through WH and half to/through downtown Hamilton.

May 17
42167603872_3e7e4571ae_b.jpg

41313405995_3443e59799_b.jpg

42167606002_3f7764ee09_b.jpg

41313410885_50aae0ac84_b.jpg

41313413015_3cd82e0269_b.jpg

41313409075_dc9f3fb0b0_b.jpg

41313399095_f057ed6c2c_b.jpg

I think the best scenario would be to have all day 30 minute frequency to Niagara. Have the trains catch all the stops thru Hamilton to Aldershot and then run the trains as express to Union. At Aldershot anyone going to Miss/Oak/But/Pearson can transfer there onto RER or GO Bus and also provides a transfer point for VIA for anyone going westward to London or Windsor.

If GO Niagara has to stop at all the GO stations thru to Toronto, the service will be too slow and people will just take the faster Greyhound. 30 minute all day to Niagara via Hamilton also makes it a viable commuter service for Niagara to Hamilton commuters.

Back in around 2015, the RER Business Case suggested the hourly Hamilton allday trains go express past Burlington GO station.

So theoretically, 15min electrics Union thru Aldershot (initially) and allday hourly diesels to St. Catharines. (An extension of the planned hourly allday diesel GO service)

Waaah, waaah, waaah. I have no sympathy for CN. For once the public has bargaining leverage. If these municipalities can use this to pressure towards RER, I’m all for their NIMBYism

Trans Mountain Pressure Tactics Come to Ontario

- Paul
This is the one time I support nimbyism. CN needs to give way on the missing link, Hamilton, and Brampton service before negotiations begin.

This is probably extremely low in priority for Metrolinx, but at what point will there be a grade separation on the Richmond Hill Line at the CN York Subdivision? The northbound trains often stops for a few minutes for a cargo train to pass, never stops when going southbound though.

This is probably extremely low in priority for Metrolinx, but at what point will there be a grade separation on the Richmond Hill Line at the CN York Subdivision? The northbound trains often stops for a few minutes for a cargo train to pass, never stops when going southbound though.

At current GO train volume, it makes more sense to just wait for the freight to clear. The number of conflicting east-west trains is not so large as to make delays an acute problem.

Of course, GO might find itself in a situation where they just want to add a couple more peak trains, and CN says “No more trains without a grade separation”. I’m sure CN holds a tight fist over this junction, it’s one of the most critical spots on their whole GTA operation. You can be sure that they will not approve additional GO movements if they feel it would interfere with the freight. ML would have to decide whether the extra service warranted such a large 3xpense.

Or, ML might decide to upgrade the corridor, but that doesn’t seem to be a priority, as you note.

If we ever got to the CN line being a two-railroad bypass, I’m sure grade separation would be part of that discussion.

- Paul

Waaah, waaah, waaah. I have no sympathy for CN. For once the public has bargaining leverage. If these municipalities can use this to pressure towards RER, I’m all for their NIMBYism

Trans Mountain Pressure Tactics Come to Ontario

- Paul
Very interesting argument made in the FinPost article. The author has just de-facto made the argument for the 407 Bypass.

Example:
[...]
Without adequate infrastructure, you and your family will pay more, and wait longer for the products you need. This is a problem not only for those living and doing business in the GTHA-Waterloo Region corridor, but also for our country. CN’s proposed transportation hub is part of the solution.

Canada’s goods movement system is already under stress. CN’s Brampton Intermodal Terminal (BIT), which handles more than one million containers annually, is at capacity. Hence, the need for a second facility at Milton, which would employ more than 100 people directly, and create 1,000 indirect jobs. CN’s BIT has been good for Brampton, creating significant employment, and attracting industry. These facilities are crucial for delivering local goods to export markets around the world. Transportation hubs are part of the solution — NIMBYism and excessive bureaucracy aren’t.
[...]
The entire article continues the theme. Of course, the author wouldn't dare invoke the Transportation and Relocations Acts now, would he?

Paul has made the argument prior that this hub could be a 'trade-off' as part of a much larger reorganization that centres on the Bypass being built. With authors like this one making this argument, it buttresses the case.

Addendum:
I see Paul makes that point with his latter post:
If we ever got to the CN line being a two-railroad bypass, I’m sure grade separation would be part of that discussion.

Any of the equations on the table, reduced to their lowest common denominator to 'solve' produce the same answer: "Bypass".

Any evidence of preparation to tie in the new track at the junction with CP?

- Paul
They finally moved the old blocking signal light out of the way & now extending track further.
(now that the newly widened portal overhead is, I believe ready to go shortly)

There's nothing left between the track connections, so hopefully CP links up ASAP

It's complex 3-way work between CN, CP and Metrolinx because this is Metrolinx paying for CN track to link to CP track. And both CN and CP needs to update their CTC systems.

Back