News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

^ Another reason I've heard of is that any track work or maintenance requires specially trained and maybe even qualified crews because of the overhead wires.

Double track from Aurora up to Newmarket! I am pumped.

View attachment 285535

I really hope that this will lead to the all-day service being extended up to Newmarket in the future. Newmarket makes more sense as an end node, since it's developing into a proper city more than Aurora is. Maybe even to East Gwillimbury since that's where most Simcoe County GO buses stop.

Can you give some examples? I don't see much added details in the roll plans.

This might be an example. Posted from the Lakeshore East Rail Expansion Citizens Coalition group post.

New Information about Noise Barriers. Metrolinx has examined the impact of noise and vibration and has announced some important changes:
- They will build and additional 12.5 km of noise barriers along the Lakeshore East Line.
- In some places they will consider building barriers that are 7m high, an increase of 2m.
The link to the map showing where the new barriers will be built is indicated but it does not work.

Curious if anyone knows whats going on with the bridge over West Highland Creek WRT Stouffville Line Double Tracking? It seems like most of the rest of double tracking is done but the bridge has not been expanded. Previously there was some heavy equipment there but it seems to have been moved . . .

I really hope the bridge is being expanded because if not it adds a problematic bottleneck to what could otherwise be a very solid section of double tracked line from Unionville to Kennedy.

I am very curious to see if Metrolinx would consider running more frequent service to Kennedy once the double tracking and dual platforms are ready, while the ride is certainly longer to get downtown it would at least mean a high quality link

I am very curious to see if Metrolinx would consider running more frequent service to Kennedy once the double tracking and dual platforms are ready, while the ride is certainly longer to get downtown it would at least mean a high quality link

Longer to get downtown than what?

Kennedy on the GO to Union is wayyy faster than taking Line 2 and 1

Longer to get downtown than what?

Kennedy on the GO to Union is wayyy faster than taking Line 2 and 1

I'm suggesting they might terminate some trains there while Scarborough Junction remains at grade and / or until the fourth track to Union isn't there.

Hypothetically you could run trains every 30 or even 15 minutes from Unionville to Kennedy with one train per hour going all the way to Union, the trip downtown would still be faster via Line 2 than a 45 minute wait for the next train and for other locations such as midtown and along the Danforth it would be much faster.

Curious if anyone knows whats going on with the bridge over West Highland Creek WRT Stouffville Line Double Tracking? It seems like most of the rest of double tracking is done but the bridge has not been expanded. Previously there was some heavy equipment there but it seems to have been moved . . .

I really hope the bridge is being expanded because if not it adds a problematic bottleneck to what could otherwise be a very solid section of double tracked line from Unionville to Kennedy.

You may want to check the roll plans on the Metrolinx Engage website. Might show what they will do.

Reactions: JBR
fun to point there is no electrified railroad that runs double stack intermodal due to height issues. Its why CN and CP will likely not support electrification for many decades if ever..

fun to point there is no electrified railroad that runs double stack intermodal due to height issues.

I think there is a single line of that type, Palanpur – Botad in India, with intention to convert many other diesel double-stack routes to electrified over the next decade. That said, India has extreme pressure on railway capacity for both passenger and freight.

Last edited:
fun to point there is no electrified railroad that runs double stack intermodal due to height issues. Its why CN and CP will likely not support electrification for many decades if ever..

Here's an example from the US but I think it was just a test?

The Indian railways have a huge project to permit electric double stack operation. No reason to think it's impossible.

Double stacks are not necessarily the type of cargo and rail equipment that is of greatest concern.

- Paul

Back