News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The culvert is being enlarged; that was decided on later in order to comply with TRCA flooding regulation.
It already complies, and can handle a 100-year storm. The issue is that the water level at the culvert violates Metrolinx's rules about at how high it is above the culvert.

The appendix in the stormwater management report on the Metrolinx site shows that the current culvert can handle the 100-year storm flow. But it backs up the water to about 4-5 metres below the tracks,. If anything flood regulations encourage upstream storage, not eliminate it.

It already complies, and can handle a 100-year storm. The issue is that the water level at the culvert violates Metrolinx's rules about at how high it is above the culvert.

The appendix in the stormwater management report on the Metrolinx site shows that the current culvert can handle the 100-year storm flow. But it backs up the water to about 4-5 metres below the tracks,. If anything flood regulations encourage upstream storage, not eliminate it.
1614225803428.png

From: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/12/...ail-corridor-heres-what-residents-can-expect/

But then it just becomes a Union West station and cost would jump. I have no problem with the station as proposed, I'd rather see a focus linking King/Liberty and Exhibition.
Will trains from anything other than the Kitchener line be able to stop at King/Liberty? No reason why not, although track switching would be required. All I've found is something about it having island platforms to serve the Kitchener line better.

They are trying to minimize scheduling conflicts and delays on all the lines by not having trains from other corridors cross their paths. It significantly diminishes the numbers of things that can spread delays through the network. Switches that don't switch don't fail. Trains that get delayed on the line don't disrupt the schedules from trains on other lines. The corridor is being set up so the north two tracks are Barrie line and only stop at a potential Spadina station. The middle four are Kitchener and UP tracks, and the south one (eventually two if Milton corridor gets frequent service) is the Milton corridor. Out in Scarborough they are creating a rail underpass onto the Stouffville line to avoid those conflicts too. Could they just put in switches... yes, but that would limit frequency and increase the chances of system delays. The goal is to build a network that is electric and could potentially operate like a subway line some day if ridership demanded and the coordination of 3 frequent trains lines, one frequent airport line, one lower frequency commuter line, two infrequent national rail lines, and frequent equipment repositioning is difficult enough. Also, the operations of the stations, wayfinding, and where passengers should stand not getting in the way of other lines is simpler when Spadina-Front station north track is Aurora bound, the south track is Union bound, the King-Liberty north platform both tracks are Bramalea bound, the south platform both tracks are Union bound.

They are trying to minimize scheduling conflicts and delays on all the lines by not having trains from other corridors cross their paths. It significantly diminishes the numbers of things that can spread delays through the network. Switches that don't switch don't fail. Trains that get delayed on the line don't disrupt the schedules from trains on other lines. The corridor is being set up so the north two tracks are Barrie line and only stop at a potential Spadina station. The middle four are Kitchener and UP tracks, and the south one (eventually two if Milton corridor gets frequent service) is the Milton corridor. Out in Scarborough they are creating a rail underpass onto the Stouffville line to avoid those conflicts too. Could they just put in switches... yes, but that would limit frequency and increase the chances of system delays. The goal is to build a network that is electric and could potentially operate like a subway line some day if ridership demanded and the coordination of 3 frequent trains lines, one frequent airport line, one lower frequency commuter line, two infrequent national rail lines, and frequent equipment repositioning is difficult enough. Also, the operations of the stations, wayfinding, and where passengers should stand not getting in the way of other lines is simpler when Spadina-Front station north track is Aurora bound, the south track is Union bound, the King-Liberty north platform both tracks are Bramalea bound, the south platform both tracks are Union bound.
So no chance of King-Liberty becoming a point where people can change trains. Only KI and potentially UPX trains. Gotcha.

There are techniques to repair collapsed concrete culverts without replacing them. With the installation of a sleeve with much lower friction, flow can actually increase somewhat.

Though despite damaged (allegedly - I'm somewhat puzzled how that assessment was mad when other reports note they couldn't inspect the outlet as it was submerged), it still carries baseflow without any flooding. And there haven't been any reports of significant upstream flooding among my neighbours. I'm looking forward to a major storm to go out and look!

Also, I didn't observe any erosion upstream of the culvert. Have you? Where?

There are techniques to repair collapsed concrete culverts without replacing them. With the installation of a sleeve with much lower friction, flow can actually increase somewhat.

Though despite damaged (allegedly - I'm somewhat puzzled how that assessment was mad when other reports note they couldn't inspect the outlet as it was submerged),

I don't doubt you; I'm reporting what's been said.

In a private conversation, I was told that the south egress of the culvert was mostly crushed/collapsed; but I have not inspected it personally.

it still carries baseflow without any flooding. And there haven't been any reports of significant upstream flooding among my neighbours. I'm looking forward to a major storm to go out and look!

Also, I didn't observe any erosion upstream of the culvert. Have you? Where?

I haven't been in the ravine, in person, in a few years.....maybe the last time was 2014??

I don't recall flood-related erosion at ground level or on the embankment on the north side at that time, but I can't say I was looking for it either.

There is certainly severe erosion behind some homes in the ravine; to the point that some decks/back yards seem quite precarious; but its unlikely that relates to flooding, unless there's low-level undermining; which, I have no evidence on one way or the other.

The TRCA floodplain map does not show any area subject to flooding in the vicinity of Small's Creek, that I can discern.

I may make time to go inspect the north side.

The south side is liable to be a heap of mud, I'm not sure I want to sink into that at the moment.

So no chance of King-Liberty becoming a point where people can change trains. Only KI and potentially UPX trains. Gotcha.

I mean, you cant have every train stop at every station all the time, it would be madness. At a certain point you have to weigh the benefits to the losses in time and scheduling to have the convienence. The convienence of options diminishes the convienence of speed and time of each train.

Its why express trains exist. When 95% of the people riding from outside the city center only want to get off at union, it becomes a diminishing return to have their train stop at every station when the 5% can get off and transfer onto an all-stop train at the last stop before the express through-run, or backtrack from Union.

If you want a device that takes you exactly where you want to go without ever transferring thats called an Uber or owning a car.

I mean, you cant have every train stop at every station all the time, it would be madness. At a certain point you have to weigh the benefits to the losses in time and scheduling to have the convienence. The convienence of options diminishes the convienence of speed and time of each train.
Sure. I'm just thinking of an East Harbour-esque station existing between King-Liberty and Exhibition somehow. Just wondering what the stations will be capable of, even if it's for future use.

Sure. I'm just thinking of an East Harbour-esque station existing between King-Liberty and Exhibition somehow. Just wondering what the stations will be capable of, even if it's for future use.

What is it that you think is happening at East Harbour? Many peak-service GO trains will be skipping that stop too.

The Relief Line design had all GO trains stopping at East Harbour. Ontario Line cross-platform transfer design uses much of that space, so the middle pair of GO tracks will not have platforms. I believe Lake Shore East service (centre tracks) is expected to skip it; Stouffville service (outer tracks) will be stopping.

Optimistically that'll change to Local all-stop Service on the outer tracks and express limited-stop service on the inner tracks for both lines but that may create scheduling challenges.

Last edited:
The palace is nearing completion. Wow it even has a grand pavilion walkway which leads directly into its majestic allure!

I wonder if there will be Metrolinx chauffeurs that will walk one straight to the palace's grand doors?

When Bloomington opens, will this forum stop making the same joke? The parking garage was overbuilt, we get it.

Why would East Harbour be skipped by Lakeshore East? I thought they wanted a new office district there that would take pressure off downtown. If they want that to be accessible from Durham they should make Danforth GO a full fledged transfer station between the two lines.

A Youtube video from the group that's upset with Mx over the LSE corridor work's prospective impact on the Small's Creek and Williamson ravines.

The best part of the video is simply getting to see the ravine space if you're not familiar with it and why locals are worried about the impacts.

The biggest failing in the video is not putting any real alternatives on the table.

I also cringed a bit at the characterization of the ravine as old-growth forest.............

I greatly value the space.........but....that would not be a correct descriptor.
From Twitter a bunch of the people with supposed environmental concerns were also suggesting Metrolinx should reconsider expanding / RER due to Covid so it seems to me they are probably just NIMBYs. Its also interesting that they are complaining about a public amenity like transit removing a slice of the ravine when the construction of their houses probably did far far more damage . . .
I just want to point 1 thing out here, if the goal is actually not to have interlining and switching then why would they want to have ST straddle the LSE? If they aren't interlined why not just have ST on the North . . . it would make ops easier and you wouldn't need said flyover.

Its why express trains exist. When 95% of the people riding from outside the city center only want to get off at union, it becomes a diminishing return to have their train stop at every station when the 5% can get off and transfer onto an all-stop train at the last stop before the express through-run, or backtrack from Union.

If you want a device that takes you exactly where you want to go without ever transferring thats called an Uber or owning a car.
This is a case where you are sort of being very hyperbolic - of course most people want to go to Union - that's the only place trains stop downtown . . .

I'd agree more if the proposal was for 5 stations between Union and Dundas West or Long Branch, but adding one big transfer station on both sides of downtown is reasonable, lots of S-Bahns do it. EMUs will be so much faster that we can afford a few more stops. If we must have some trains bypass then just have it be the slow diesels.

Back