News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When's the double tracking on Barrie going to start? I've seen no news on this despite them saying we would know more by this point in time.

This was the Metrolinx Engage presentation from last May for the Maple GO upgrades: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/lindenshire_boards_-_final.pdf, and more specifically I want to highlight this section.

I visited Maple about a month ago, and shovels haven't hit the ground yet, and Metrolinx's website (https://www.gotransit.com/en/the-future-go/improvements/maple) still says they haven't found a contractor yet (note where it says Updated March 4 so this is still quite recent):

Was there some announcement of delays or something?

Maybe send an email and ask? York.Region@Metrolinx.com

From the article:

Last week trees were cleared alongside the tracks’ right-of-way between Wildwood Crescent and Woodbine Avenue for a fiber optic cable and a new manhole.

How is this word not personhole? Really! The misogyny is infuriating! :p
If I ever open up a gay bar I'm going to call it: "The Manhole"

The theme will be construction.

If I ever open up a gay bar I'm going to call it: "The Manhole"

The theme will be construction.
To get in you have to wear high-viz speedos

1618368746430.png

Cutting down trees today in Metrolinx's Downtown Brampton block, where it bought up and demolished over a dozen houses. It will be the site of a 200+ spot parking lot. The two office buildings at George and Nelson are still vacant, but still standing with no recent indications of next steps.

IMG_3048-001.JPG
IMG_3054-001.JPG

Cutting down trees today in Metrolinx's Downtown Brampton block, where it bought up and demolished over a dozen houses. It will be the site of a 200+ spot parking lot. The two office buildings at George and Nelson are still vacant, but still standing with no recent indications of next steps.

View attachment 312722View attachment 312723
It's like we're going completely backwards.

Metrolinx bought up the block a few years ago, before the last Liberal government unveiled plans for Ryerson/Sheridan post-secondary campus on the main GO lot lands. (GO has two other lots, a mid-sized lot on an old industrial land next to the 45 Railroad development, and a very small lot at the bottom behind a plaza, accessed from Main Street south of Church).

I'm disappointed to see Metrolinx go through with this, without new public plans for the main lot lands.

This is so idiotic. Let's jam through development in Toronto and build 50+ stories around GO stations in areas that cant handle it, but because it's transit-oriented development lets force it through.

Meanwhile in Brampton, Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, etc.. we continue to see this kind of non-sense take place regularly.

No wonder we have housing shortages in the GTA. I wonder where all the MZO's are in those cities...

Is it going to be a surface lot or a multi-story lot?

I think this site probably needs to be developed, but there is some long-term planning here. Metrolinx needs to hold on to land near stations for future use, in this case, they may eventually need a new Bus terminal or LRT portal. GO is also still primarily a drive-up commuter service, and will be until they can improve frequency and fare integration. If they keep this as a surface lot, they will be able to develop in the future once they are confident they won't need the land, and transit access is sufficient to not need the parking.

Currently, they may not have a set plan for the land, so a surface lot is a good intermediate use while a plan is developed. If they sell it for housing development and then need it in 10 years, the cost of whatever project needed the land will end up being much higher.

Seems like the eventual plan is to add a third track mostly to the south side of the corridor at the point in the corridor where the historic railway station is located. That means moving the south platform back and moving the roadway potentially. Also, when there were plans for a Ryerson campus here there was talk of expending the bus terminal to this property.

Last edited:

Back