News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They have started to erected the precast columns at Clarkson parking structure. What was head shaking was the removal of the form work for the 2 east stairwell that started about 4 month ago yet they are up to the 3rd floor for an east stairwell that wasn't started 4 weeks ago. They have close and torn down from what I could see the new south entrance with work on the new elevator shafts.

In Burlington, they have torn down the west entrance on the south side as well tearing up the old terminal area 100%. Had no time to photo shoot as my train was late in arriving at Burlington to catch the bus as it was pulling out the bay. Bus was late getting to the station and ran to catch the train as it was pulling in. Wasn't prepared to wait an hour for the next one to the point the doors were closing as I got on.

Clarkson Parking Structure
8557909213_8cb84e1cda_b.jpg

8559018630_ab127e4bd4_b.jpg

8557908583_750117e1e7_b.jpg

8559016792_da716b7343_b.jpg

8559014418_66d5fba921_b.jpg

Burlington South old Bus Terminal
8557911363_de7a81db5f_b.jpg

8559017358_2fb502515f_b.jpg

8559017358_2fb502515f_b.jpg

They should extend the Railpath to the entire length of the route.

It's being studied. See: http://railpath.ca/

As that webpage points out, Metrolinx has officially killed the idea of a full southern extension. I think the problem is not just the Strachan overpass, but also the extra track south of Sudbury.

The new track bridge is in place and there is enough room between the platform and Railpath for the track to go in at a future date.

Under the current plan, you will be able to access the platform from Railpath, but it will be close off when the track goes in.

Thanks drum!

As that webpage points out, Metrolinx has officially killed the idea of a full southern extension. I think the problem is not just the Strachan overpass, but also the extra track south of Sudbury.

I would have liked it to go as far as Douro St (short of Strachan) to connect with Wellington Street and be a really useful commuter route for cyclists. It's too bad it can't go much south of Queen, as there's no good east-west bike route that far west until you get to the lake. Though getting it to connect to Sudbury Street itself wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

I guess the best hope for an semi-off-road route to Union is now Sudbury-Douro-Wellington-Garrison Common-North Linear Park-Bremner. That would be pretty nice, but so many things have to line up to make it a reality - metrolinx plays ball, the garrison bridge, connections under Bathurst bridge. I'll be riding a tricycle before it happens!

As for Bloor being in another thread, no it should not as it also part of the bigger system. It was plan for upgrading before the ARL surface.

I noticed today that the Erindale parking structure will have 3 elevators, not the normal 1. The south end is getting an elevator along with the 2 on the north end. 3 elevators to the platform, unbelievable and would think this could happen.

The north end is getting various colours window frames or could be test ones.

Not sure why these mesh frames are being used as they do nothing for the structure at all.

Odd that the stairwell are open to the outside and not enclose. All the handrail have mesh frames and the whole thing is galvanize.

Crews were working today on it.
8604263888_862459f22a_b.jpg

8604267806_c2f2a2c158_b.jpg

8604264798_1eef24a831_b.jpg

8604255700_10aa3cc34d_b.jpg

8603157641_0660c8b701_b.jpg

8604254758_99499498b3_b.jpg

8604256808_80594f3532_b.jpg

I saw that thing in person the other day, and it is such a huge eyesore. Parking garages should not be so prominent, they should be less obvious. It should have been 3-4 storeys max, especially considering it is located at above Burnhamthorpe to begin with. It dominates the street now. GO is just way to focused on parking, and this is one of the most accessible GO stations for pedestrians.

Odd that the stairwell are open to the outside and not enclose. All the handrail have mesh frames and the whole thing is galvanize.

You don't think they are going to leave those stairwells in the open do you? I had assumed there would be glass there. That will look hideous if they don't cover that in glass.

GO is just way to focused on parking, and this is one of the most accessible GO stations for pedestrians.

That's almost an understatement. GO is obsessed with parking the same way that the Indus Valley civilization was obsessed with making mud bricks or North Korea is obsessed with being secret. I have never seen a transit agency so singularly focused on building park and ride lots. I have never seen a transit agency with such potential for TOD squander it at every turn.

I would like to know what percentage of GO's capital budget goes toward building new parking lots and parking structures or anything to do with parking. I bet it's the highest percentage of any transit operator in the world.

You don't think they are going to leave those stairwells in the open do you? I had assumed there would be glass there. That will look hideous if they don't cover that in glass.

They are covering the stairways in glass. I do believe that they will be floating panes however, and thus the closed-in handrails.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hipster D, I also think their focus on monstrous parking is offensive. In fact, if they try building one at my beloved Exhibition, I'm moving to Van City.

GO knows their current customer base, the current land use around stations, and how much of their current ridership transfers to GO train from local bus. Architecture aside, I don't see a big issue with parking garages and prefer them to expansive surface lots. Perhaps if the area around the parking garages change the lower levels could be eventually converted to retail. In Japan which has a much higher use of bicycles and transit there were still blue P parking garages at most of the JR stations in most of the Tokyo suburbs I visited when I went there a number of years ago were far more urban than our suburbs. The difference there was that there was some retail, some office, and some medium density residential right there at the station so it didn't look like the parking garage was there solely for the JR station.

Back