News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Fair enough, but I am pretty positive that there will be cladding covering everything above, and the poles will also be covered and finalized, so I don't think it's a big deal that they went for cheap materials for something that won't be visible. Here is a rendering that shows what the finished product should look like, but who knows if the finalized product will come looking like this: View attachment 329797View attachment 329798
really dont like how the new go train platforms are designed like an afterthought. Take Bloomington for example.... grand entrance and parkade, yet the platform has a small canopy....
If youre going to go big on a station, treat the platform as part of the building and integrate it into the design!

really dont like how the new go train platforms are designed like an afterthought. Take Bloomington for example.... grand entrance and parkade, yet the platform has a small canopy....
If youre going to go big on a station, treat the platform as part of the building and integrate it into the design!
What do Canadian builders know about building train stations?

^Platforms at an end of line, peak service only station may be a lesser consideration than elsewhere… but the design should encourage people to spread out all along the train and not all board at the same doorway.

I wonder if we will see the same “sprint to the car” behaviour that one sees at Oshawa in the evening. Better check for slip and trip hazards on the shortest route to the garage.

- Paul

Speed River Bridge, Guelph
Lots of work on the rail bridges. Ever since Metrolinx took over ownership of the line (November 2017?) work has slowly ramped up to allow for higher capacity and faster speeds.

B1D58ECC-0EFF-4598-9085-2003B9B29BA1.jpeg
84979268-30A1-48A5-990C-C344BA063DB8.jpeg
F506C979-76C7-4572-93E3-D122A842D091.jpeg
7DD20E01-995D-44E5-8CDF-FA2DC133E04F.jpeg

Am I the only one who actually likes the new GO platforms? It's such a step up from the old platforms and does the job well in my experience. I do like the design albeit I agree the canopies are a bit narrow. My beef is the sad and depressing pedestrian walkways below.

1624499919099.png

Image source: https://www.canadianconsultingengineer.com/features/redeveloping-torontos-guildwood-go-station/

Attachments

• 1624499918825.png
    1624499918825.png
    681.1 KB · Views: 107
Am I the only one who actually likes the new GO platforms? It's such a step up from the old platforms and does the job well in my experience.

I'm not sure what Unionville had before..............but when it comes to platform canopies, the minimum standard is the functional one; does it stop you from getting rained on, if you are underneath it?

If the answer is no; then that's a fail.

If the answer is 'yes' then we turn to aesthetics.

My take, having not tested it; is that the weather protection looks inadequate.

Aesthetically, its a bit pedestrian in general; but I'm more particularly at odds w/how it fits w/the Unionville character. Its both bland and out of step.

Is it horrible? No........does it reach the standard that I would hope for? Also, No.
I do like the design albeit I agree the canopies are a bit narrow. My beef is the sad and depressing pedestrian walkways below.

View attachment 330072

At least w/the tunnels, its not a place one would expect to spend time; also, they've managed to get natural light into this one.

Certainly it lacks colour, or 'finishes' of any kind really. But I find it less obnoxious relative to the surface areas in that its less visible and more of a transient space.

Still, it would certainly be nice if they put more effort into it.

I'm not sure what Unionville had before..............but when it comes to platform canopies, the minimum standard is the functional one; does it stop you from getting rained on, if you are underneath it?

If the answer is no; then that's a fail.

If the answer is 'yes' then we turn to aesthetics.

My take, having not tested it; is that the weather protection looks inadequate.

Aesthetically, its a bit pedestrian in general; but I'm more particularly at odds w/how it fits w/the Unionville character. Its both bland and out of step.

Is it horrible? No........does it reach the standard that I would hope for? Also, No.

At least w/the tunnels, its not a place one would expect to spend time; also, they've managed to get natural light into this one.

Certainly it lacks colour, or 'finishes' of any kind really. But I find it less obnoxious relative to the surface areas in that its less visible and more of a transient space.

Still, it would certainly be nice if they put more effort into it.
definitely a valid point. Looking at the canopies, they dont even span to the end of the platform. The entire yellow strip looks completely exposed to the sky. At the very least they should stretch the canopy so theres minimal gap from the roof to the side of the trains.
Hopefully they will actually conceal that rainwater drain....It just looks like an apprentice pipefitter's first installation job.....

Hmmm, Danforth got its last big re-do in that era.......:

View attachment 330087

Still not as nice as I'd like.........
Don't forget Danforth's original station was part of the signal bridge over the tracks just before the main Street bridge. The ticket office was a very small building canralovered over the platform. The station was only accessible by stairs.

Don't forget Danforth's original station was part of the signal bridge over the tracks just before the main Street bridge. The ticket office was a very small building canralovered over the platform. The station was only accessible by stairs.

True, but that dated from much earlier.

the very least they should stretch the canopy so theres minimal gap from the roof to the side of the trains
There are certain clearances for structures from the tracks. This is especially true on tracks that still have active freight trains operating on them.
I believe Metrolinx builds platform canopies with those clearances in mind.

Back