News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Guelph, 2 September 2021:

Crews were working on the bridge east of the station.
IMG_20210902_124253982_HDR.jpg

Platform edge work is also underway on the west end of the platform. Also note the small segment of the second platform over Wyndham street which was already built as part of the station's renovation in 2012.

IMG_20210902_120458306_HDR.jpg

Looking back toward the current (north) platform from the stub of the new (south) platform. Photo taken from the top of the staircase up from Wyndham street which was built to access the future south platform
IMG_20210902_121104178_HDR.jpg

Speaking of futureproofing for the second platform, here's the pedestrian tunnel which was also opened in 2012.
North entrance:

1024px-GuelphTunnel-North.jpg

South entrance:
768px-GuelphTunnel-South2.jpg

For some reason, the tunnel entrances are locked during the midday. Apparently it hasn't occured to Metrolinx that someone might want to access the station even during times of day when there are no train departures. Like for example to take GO bus routes 29 Guelph-Mississauga or 33 Guelph-Brampton which each run hourly throughout the day. Or to access basically all Guelph Transit routes.

Last edited:
I am speculating, but I believe the tunnel in Guelph might be locked outside of train times due to a number of safety and security incidents there lately.

Apparently I heard that homeless people were sleeping in the tunnel

Then the problem is not the tunnel, its a lack of housing for the un-homed!

I get that that is not Mx's mandate, but it would look better on them to find (pay for if needs be) a social worker to get those needy individuals proper housing and support, rather than locking the doors.

Then the problem is not the tunnel, its a lack of housing for the un-homed!

I get that that is not Mx's mandate, but it would look better on them to find (pay for if needs be) a social worker to get those needy individuals proper housing and support, rather than locking the doors.

The problem is not alot of them want to take the offers of support as evidenced by attempts made at encampments in Toronto.

The problem is not alot of them want to take the offers of support as evidenced by attempts made at encampments in Toronto.

What evidence?

This is from one of Councillor Bradford's newsletters in July:

With more than 20,000 visits by our outreach workers, the City's been able to help 1,700 residents in encampments find a safe place to stay indoors over the pandemic. Unlike what we saw at Lamport Stadium, most of the encampments have been removed without incident. On Tuesday, an encampment at Alexandra Park was closed without the clashes or conflict - majority of these individuals accepted support and housing. Just yesterday, at another downtown location, of the 12 people encamped, 11 of them accepted housing from the City. The City's still working with the remaining resident to try and encourage them to move into indoor housing. There was no Police, there was no-write up in the media, no viral videos, no clashes, and no violence.

That suggests to me, that when the trouble-makers stay away, a very large majority of the homeless do accept offers of housing.

^The issue at the Guelph depot may not be homelessness or need for shelter per se. There is some pretty scuzzy low rent housing along that stretch, and the area attracts security issues that are not directly linked to homeless people.

I don’t have an answer for homelessness (other than to say that all levels of government should be doing much more) but I don’t see repurposing more public spaces as an interim form of housing to be much of a step in the right direction.

- Paul

Following VIA 87 online today, it doesn't look like the Guelph 10 mph slow zone has been lifted yet. Which explains why the September GO schedules haven't updated the travel time between Kitchener and Guelph.

(Times are 6 hours off because my computer is set to Central European Time). Screenshot was taken was 19:05 EST
Knipsel.JPG

The current AM Peak GO train travel time from Kitchener to Union is 1h41, which is 9 minutes faster than before construction started. But a couple of those minutes were dropped in mid 2020 due to reduced ridership, and thus reduced dwell times at stations. Lifting the Guelph slow zone should save about 3 minutes, so the original promise of saving 10 minutes thanks to this construction project seem to be spot-on.

P.S. I am consistently impressed by how many delays VIA trains manage to accumulate along the GO-owned Weston Subdivision on weekends/holidays when they are literally the only trains on the track.

Following VIA 87 online today, it doesn't look like the Guelph 10 mph slow zone has been lifted yet. Which explains why the September GO schedules haven't updated the travel time between Kitchener and Guelph.

(Times are 6 hours off because my computer is set to Central European Time). Screenshot was taken was 19:05 EST
View attachment 346613

The current AM Peak GO train travel time from Kitchener to Union is 1h41, which is 9 minutes faster than before construction started. But a couple of those minutes were dropped in mid 2020 due to reduced ridership, and thus reduced dwell times at stations. Lifting the Guelph slow zone should save about 3 minutes, so the original promise of saving 10 minutes thanks to this construction project seem to be spot-on.

P.S. I am consistently impressed by how many delays VIA trains manage to accumulate along the GO-owned Weston Subdivision on weekends/holidays when they are literally the only trains on the track.
Union Pearson express uses the track between union and highway 427 and the north track might be closed off at Weston for construction

Union Pearson express uses the track between union and highway 427 and the north track might be closed off at Weston for construction
While riding VIA 87 on weekends I've noticed that it follows the same track assignment as on weekdays, which means that it switches back and forth between the centre and north tracks in order to overtake nonexistent GO trains.

If it departs Union late, like it did today, it can then come into conflict with UP trains on the centre track.

Guelph, 2 September 2021:

Crews were working on the bridge east of the station.
View attachment 346221

Platform edge work is also underway on the west end of the platform. Also note the small segment of the second platform over Wyndham street which was already built as part of the station's renovation in 2012.

View attachment 346246

Looking back toward the current (north) platform from the stub of the new (south) platform. Photo taken from the top of the staircase up from Wyndham street which was built to access the future south platform
View attachment 346225

Speaking of futureproofing for the second platform, here's the pedestrian tunnel which was also opened in 2012.
North entrance:

1024px-GuelphTunnel-North.jpg

South entrance:
768px-GuelphTunnel-South2.jpg

For some reason, the tunnel entrances are locked during the midday. Apparently it hasn't occured to Metrolinx that someone might want to access the station even during times of day when there are no train departures. Like for example to take GO bus routes 29 Guelph-Mississauga or 33 Guelph-Brampton which each run hourly throughout the day. Or to access basically all Guelph Transit routes.
The reason its lock after service, the Homeless sit up housing there. Been there a few times and wanted to use the tunnel for shorter walking distance, but had to do the long way. Also ran into the homeless when it was open and not fun.

Stouffville Line double tracking update, 6 September 2021.

Bonus photos of Milliken Station from the Steeles Avenue underpass:

Looking southeast toward the two passages to the platforms
IMG_20210906_185552577_HDR.jpg

Looking down the passage to the southbound platform:
IMG_20210906_185606435_HDR.jpg

Looking down the passage to the northbound platform:
IMG_20210906_185627934_HDR.jpg

Looking north across Steeles, note the pillar for the east side pedestrian bridge.

IMG_20210906_185649348_HDR.jpg

They installed the wrong sign here: this should be a crosswalk sign. Pedestrians will cross the bike path here to get to the bus platform which will be located where the eastbound curb lane currently is:
IMG_20210906_185534764_HDR.jpg

^Really nice video, gives a good view of what’s happening and what isn’t.

Hard to understand why they are dawdling with the track construction sout of Ellesmere.

More troubling is the lack of progress on those creek bridges.

I’m also surprised how the clearances don’t allow a third track at Agincourt.

- Paul

^Really nice video, gives a good view of what’s happening and what isn’t.

Hard to understand why they are dawdling with the track construction sout of Ellesmere.

More troubling is the lack of progress on those creek bridges.

I’m also surprised how the clearances don’t allow a third track at Agincourt.

- Paul
The Sheppard overpass has a lot to due with the lack of the 3rd track as well north of the station. Both ends are pinch points to get that 3rd track in as well there is a walkway of the east side of the east platform that connects to Sheppard.

Without expropriating land, the corridor is mainly a 2 track corridor. Metrolinx bought property for the station on the east side since the lots where very deep in the first place.

Surprised they did not do a centre platform.

Back