News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The main point is, that the work was poorly planned

Yes.

, rubber stamped by the city and conservation authority, and done without community consultation.

No. Metrolinx is exempt from City approvals and exempt from TRCA approval as well.

So neither had a material say in anything.

The TRCA was invited in to give a non-binding opinion and to carry out some restoration works; that's the extent of their involvement.

I'll happily bury the City and the TRCA for any number of things; but we can't really lay this one on them.

The only thing I will say negatively in the City's direction is that it hasn't really raised the issue of restoring the ravine connection prior to this work (even though some of us raised the issue many years ago, before any corridor expansion project
was even contemplated).

Had there been an idea of doing something here, and it been examined in the EA, and costed, there might be a more reasonable chance of pursuing it, if the City coughed up some of the cost; but alas, tis not so.

But that's not to let Mx off the hook who could certainly have rolled something more substantial for nature/ the community into this project.

The problem is how many people advocating this are doing so in good faith? How many people are actually concerned about the natural area, rather than just using this issue as a launchpad for what is actually just NIMBYism. This is in a similar vein to Save Jimmie Simpson where the locals are using a local park as a focus to dump them not wanting to have more training running behind their houses.

The stages of change - first denial, then anger, then....

In all of these issues (East Harbour, Davenport, Don Valley layover being other examples) it seems to take a long time to get past the disbelief that the expansion was needed at all. Resident groups seem to start with "just go away". I don't know if that's what their advisors suggest as a first line of defense, or if it's just human nature. I would not single out this residents' group response as extreme, but certainly they may have raised arguments that were either red herrings or unreasonable - as many resident groups do. At the end of the day, the need for GO expansion outweighs the impacts on individual neighbourhoods, but there is often a wide range of options for how to mitigate and soften the impacts.

We seem to have a design process (this goes beyond ML, but they are front and centre as a guilty party) of taking an initial solution that meets engineering standards but not broader quality of life standards, and trying to ram it through - instead of an iterative process that accepts and looks for ways to address concerns raised in good faith. It's a win-lose process which encourages extreme positions and seems to get bogged down in not meeting in the middle. I don't have any illusion that the answer will always be "yes", but it is unnecessarily unresponsive. ML sure seems to like working this way.

Also, in this case, the levels of government that might have logically been asked to contribute money to the "improved" design were caught blindsided. One can understand how they, in turn, would fend off involvement - who needs the headache of going back to Council and asking for money that wasn't foreseen and justified in the most recent budget exercise.

- Paul

1644435130087.png

huh? what does Eglinton GO have anything to do with the DVP?
I think they're referring to the fact that there is no GO station on the Richmond Hill line at Eglinton.

It's not a loss at all if you ask me; Oriole will soon have a much more direct connection to the subway system, and virtually all Richmond Hill GO passengers would just switch to Line 1 once the Yonge North extension is open.

They should really call the station Eglinton East GO or something.

I think they're referring to the fact that there is no GO station on the Richmond Hill line at Eglinton.

It's not a loss at all if you ask me; Oriole will soon have a much more direct connection to the subway system, and virtually all Richmond Hill GO passengers would just switch to Line 1 once the Yonge North extension is open.

They should really call the station Eglinton East GO or something.
It would be nice if in the future the Richmond Hill line runs from Bloomington to a reopened North Toronto station (assuming they are abandoning the Don Valley route), and the Ontario Line extends north to Seneca College using the rail ROW north of Lawrence (since Metrolinx owns the tracks up to Doncaster).
You get RH/Line 1 interchange at Bridge (Langstaff), RH/Line 4/Line 3 interchange at Oriole, and another RH/Line 1 interchange at Summerhill.

It would be nice if in the future the Richmond Hill line runs from Bloomington to a reopened North Toronto station (assuming they are abandoning the Don Valley route), and the Ontario Line extends north to Seneca College using the rail ROW north of Lawrence (since Metrolinx owns the tracks up to Doncaster).
You get RH/Line 1 interchange at Bridge (Langstaff), RH/Line 4/Line 3 interchange at Oriole, and another RH/Line 1 interchange at Summerhill.
You would still need to make an extra change to the ECT despite running directly under it. I understand there are geographical challenges but
technically it would be possible.

Interview with a resident and a Metrolinx staff member.
As someone who lives most of the time, mere blocks from Small's Creek, I actually enjoyed that podcast, even if it is partially 'propaganda'. I didn't get involved in my street's mobilization on this topic. Quite simply to me, electrification and bi-directional frequent service for the many, outweighed the risks to the (very tiny) ravine area.

Port Credit GO –New Pedestrian West Bridge Opens February 11
620598f506b6a35cfa5a6926.jpg
620598f506b6a35cfa5a6927.jpg
Port Credit GO customers: Good news! We’ve finished the pedestrian West Bridge on the north side of the station to improve access to the platform tunnels. This pathway will be available as of February 11, 2022.

Here is what you need to know:

- This bridge will replace the temporary pedestrian bridge currently in use.
- The bridge will give access to the ticket vending machine and bike shelters.
- This pathway is an addition to the to the existing access on the south side of the station.
- Please follow the directional signage to access this pathway for your safety.
- Thank you for your patience as we work to update amenities, enhance accessibility and make it easier for you to access GO services.

For more information on the Hurontario LRT project, click here.

Feb 13
Had a look at the new bridge walkway as well using it and not complete. Dirt being used as a ramp to the sidewalk in the parking lot with fencing on both side of the sidewalk. New concrete walkway pour from the bridge to the entrance.

Handrail still to be install on the bridge as well the walls of the trench. Then there is the backfilling to the retaining walls. Don't see new paving place for the whole area until late this year.
51880307926_fd60ae76ef_b.jpg

51880958800_292d149dfa_b.jpg

51880959760_9fa757bd4d_b.jpg

51879344432_2c93d846b3_b.jpg

51880387153_48ba0fe4ed_b.jpg

51880959415_ee8d6f47c1_b.jpg

51879344032_0902665858_b.jpg

51880386773_e8dd3a4465_b.jpg

Back