News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This should be brought up to ML as a potential deficiency. Clearly a bone headed move by a designer and contractor who didn't think

“Oh, that doorway? It’s only intended to be a secondary entrance. We will put up better wayfinding so people use the other door”

/s

- Paul

What makes it even more laughable is that the canopy does not lead to the nearest station building entrance (doors seen in the picture), instead it leads to the entrance ~10m further away. One can only wonder how they decided to build such a massive canopy, but somehow forgot to add a canopy over the nearest entrance...
To be fair, that nearest entrance is not part of the direct route from anywhere to the platforms, which are straight ahead in this image. It only leads to the ticket counter. Most people don't need to go to the ticket agent, and those who do merely need to detour by a few metres via the other door stay dry if it's raining.

The benches are inexcusable though.

Last edited:
Super intelligent bench placement at Rutherford GO

View attachment 397023

"Let's build a shelter, and benches, but put the benches just outside the canopy, so people will have to choose between sitting and getting wet, or standing and staying dry! Great idea!"
seems like the canopy was by the architect and the bench's / planter is by landscape and lets be honest landscape doesn't really look much into what architects have planed

"Let's build a shelter, and benches, but put the benches just outside the canopy, so people will have to choose between sitting and getting wet, or standing and staying dry! Great idea!"
1651442176665.png

Unfortunately it looks like it was in the design from the beginning... but they assume that the sun will be in the ideal location to have there be shade. Of course there will be no clouds in the sky.

I am really curious if anyone from the design teams actually use the station once construction has completed. Also curious whether that’s common practice.

FWIW, I’d rather no benches there than what’s there right now, which feels like a mistake.

View attachment 397169
Unfortunately it looks like it was in the design from the beginning... but they assume that the sun will be in the ideal location to have there be shade. Of course there will be no clouds in the sky.
Well the rednering clearly shows the benches under the canopy as covered by the canopy so it's a deficiency. I don't mind the benches in the open since some would like to sit in the sun... but what was installed clearly makes no sense and needs to be fixed.

Well the rednering clearly shows the benches under the canopy as covered by the canopy
You may see that clearly but I don't see that. I look at the shadow being cast by other objects and see that while those benches are in the shade it is only because the sun is east of the station.

You may see that clearly but I don't see that. I look at the shadow being cast by other objects and see that while those benches are in the shade it is only because the sun is east of the station.
draw a straight line down. it covers

Last edited:

View attachment 397023

It was probably done to deter homeless people, the benches already have armrests that stop people from sleeping on them,,, I guess they are really determined to make hostile architecture.

As opposed to "accommodating" homeless people and making the stations worse for everyone?

That Metrolinx is forced to design in this way is a failure from the agencies supposed to be helping the homeless.

It was probably done to deter homeless people, the benches already have armrests that stop people from sleeping on them,,, I guess they are really determined to make hostile architecture.
In a station which consists primarily of a well-sheltered parking garage? I doubt it.

Back