News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Will the new stations have high platforms?
The terminology around this is kinda frustrating. GO will never nor has ever planned for high platforms like UPX. They have looked at low, level boarding (think existing bi-level door height without the step).

That being said, I am not sure what the SmartTrack stations will have on opening day (approx 2026) but I suspect it will be what the rest of the GO network has today with provisions to upgrade it to level boarding in the future.

The West Harbour GO track connection appears to have started construction. Looks like it'll be a new track beside the existing CN tracks to about Ferguson, so about 700m of new track. I wonder if GO will try to park 2 trains on it overnight.

From James looking east:

View attachment 456519

From John looking east:
View attachment 456520
Low-key the most anticipated near-term GO upgrade. Great shots!

The West Harbour GO track connection appears to have started construction. Looks like it'll be a new track beside the existing CN tracks to about Ferguson, so about 700m of new track. I wonder if GO will try to park 2 trains on it overnight.

From James looking east:

From John looking east:

Also - CN has cleared far, far more than 11 mature trees here that look way more unnecessary to clear.. funny how there isn't an injunction here.
because you dont have lawyers on their fancy pedestals being riled that their fancy garden is having a makeover.

From James looking east:

View attachment 456519

From John looking east:
View attachment 456520

Also - CN has cleared far, far more than 11 mature trees here that look way more unnecessary to clear.. funny how there isn't an injunction here.
Good to see. Now for Barrie and Lakeshore East...

I'm surprised Liberty will be operational 2026. Thats just 3 years.

I was under the impression these downtown stations didn't have platforms long enough for the bilevels and were dependant on the GO-RER EMU's. I guess that was incorrect?

Am I missing something obvious? Where does it say it'll open in three years?

Am I missing something obvious?

Yes. LOL (that's ok, happens to the best of us)

Where does it say it'll open in three years?

Here:

1676495452786.png

From this post:

From James looking east:

View attachment 456519

From John looking east:
View attachment 456520

It would be odd to store them overnight there, considering Lewis Yard is a few miles east of here. Is Lewis yard being used now could be the reason??

As for tree, ML standards for trees are different from CN. Less trees around for ML, less leaves on the rails

From James looking east:

View attachment 456519

From John looking east:
View attachment 456520

Also, for train storage, you need to bring in wayside power, crew and cleaner access and some manner of facilities, probably security lighting and fencing.

Injunctions need to be initiated by somebody. If surrounding residents don't see an issue, nothing happens. Most wayside flora tends to be overgrown, weedy and unkempt anyway.

Why the walkway on the north? It doesn't seem to get anywhere the main north exit gets too.
Could just be a long ramp for handicapped access to the overpass, for if/when the elevator breaks down.
On the south side there's an alternate entrance with an elevator, if an elevator breaks down.
That's all I could think of.

This image from Metrolinx's website sees to suggest that as well

King-Liberty-1-1024x683.jpg

They are full length, ~300m platforms:

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fdc0f073d-bb35-4705-af83-46d1341bb26e_2142x1308.png

I am a little confused .. why did they demolish 99 Subury? The above seems to suggest they don't need that plot? Are they building a parking lot?

I am not sure if this is the right thread for discussing the so called "garage mahals" that Metrolinx has been building but those are construction related so I might as well post here. I never used GO frequently until recently and now I understand why these parking lots are so important for commuters.

I live in the centre of Mississauga and use a bus to connect with GO. If I am using transit, I prefer using it all the way instead of a combination of driving and transit. Of late, buses have been full and drivers don't stop. Yesterday, I had to miss 2 buses because of that and I decided not to wait for the third bus, and I went back home and drove to Cooksville station and still caught my train on time.

On one hand more and more employers are asking people return to office and on the other hand transit agencies have been reducing services. If things continue like that, I may just stop using MiWay and start driving to GO.

For me, driving to GO station already has more benefits:
1. My total trip time is 15 min shorter if I drive to GO vs using bus.
2. My trip time is more reliable because my driving time does not vary by more than 2 minutes but my bus time varies by up to 15 minutes. Milton Line has 30 minute frequency, so it's either 30 min wasted by arriving late, or I have to leave a big margin which means getting 30 min less sleep.
3. Less time spent in cold waiting for buses to go by without stopping.

I live 35 seconds from my bus stop (yes, I timed it) and it can't get better than that. I don't have to change buses to reach GO. If I am feeling that using buses to reach GO is not a smart decision while living in Mississauga and having all those benefits, then how do people living in Aurora or Oshawa or Milton manage to reach their respective GO stations? Mississauga should (and probably does) have the best transit system in all of GTA besides Toronto. It's not only the largest satellite city of Toronto but also the 8th largest city in Canada by itself.

If it's like that living near the centre of Mississauga, can we really blame people for driving to GO station, and can we blame Metrolinx for building gigantic parking lots? How many of those who complain about garage mahals actually live in these areas and use a bus to reach GO? Can you give me one good reason why all those people should not drive to GO? Please don't say climate change or we'll go in a different discussion.

I am not sure if this is the right thread for discussing the so called "garage mahals" that Metrolinx has been building but those are construction related so I might as well post here. I never used GO frequently until recently and now I understand why these parking lots are so important for commuters.

I live in the centre of Mississauga and use a bus to connect with GO. If I am using transit, I prefer using it all the way instead of a combination of driving and transit. Of late, buses have been full and drivers don't stop. Yesterday, I had to miss 2 buses because of that and I decided not to wait for the third bus, and I went back home and drove to Cooksville station and still caught my train on time.

On one hand more and more employers are asking people return to office and on the other hand transit agencies have been reducing services. If things continue like that, I may just stop using MiWay and start driving to GO.

For me, driving to GO station already has more benefits:
1. My total trip time is 15 min shorter if I drive to GO vs using bus.
2. My trip time is more reliable because my driving time does not vary by more than 2 minutes but my bus time varies by up to 15 minutes. Milton Line has 30 minute frequency, so it's either 30 min wasted by arriving late, or I have to leave a big margin which means getting 30 min less sleep.
3. Less time spent in cold waiting for buses to go by without stopping.

I live 35 seconds from my bus stop (yes, I timed it) and it can't get better than that. I don't have to change buses to reach GO. If I am feeling that using buses to reach GO is not a smart decision while living in Mississauga and having all those benefits, then how do people living in Aurora or Oshawa or Milton manage to reach their respective GO stations? Mississauga should (and probably does) have the best transit system in all of GTA besides Toronto. It's not only the largest satellite city of Toronto but also the 8th largest city in Canada by itself.

If it's like that living near the centre of Mississauga, can we really blame people for driving to GO station, and can we blame Metrolinx for building gigantic parking lots? How many of those who complain about garage mahals actually live in these areas and use a bus to reach GO? Can you give me one good reason why all those people should not drive to GO? Please don't say climate change or we'll go in a different discussion.
yea, youre so close to the point its actually funny.
all of those points have been argued to death by urbanists over the last few years
what is the solution? Require more development/mixed used areas. were starting to see this with missasasuga city center, vaughn, markham. Cities are finally waking up to the fact that driving is unsustainable economically and socially
with more people in an area, you can justify more transit which attracts more people therefore better transit is helpful.
for example the hurontario lrt. pretty much only possible because of all the semi-recent development in the area the last 10 years

Go transit requires theese parking lots because of terrible development around them. Whitby, ajax, pickering, clarkson, oakville. They all have 1 thing in common: absolutely terrible urban development
Basically yea youre right, the system sucks, people are required to drive. but the problem with the garage mahals isnt the fact that theyre just building parking its that theyre spending litterally $300 million for a 5 floor parking garage. then they have the balls to say that its "sustainable"?

"Garage Mahals" are named that way because theyre just way to big and way too monstrous for simple car parking spaces

Back