News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

The Liberals stood there during the last election, and promised full-day service to James Street North in 2015. In what way is this not another broken Liberal promise?

I think they stood there expecting a slim majority with which they could pass necessary funding tools to finance their purchase of the CN corridor. As we all know we got a minority and its been a longer road for transit expansion because of it.

So yes they broke their promise. I just think they promised under false pretenses :p

I think they stood there expecting a slim majority with which they could pass necessary funding tools to finance their purchase of the CN corridor. As we all know we got a minority and its been a longer road for transit expansion because of it.
Where has there ever been any evidence that Metrolinx was trying to buy the CN corridor? Why would CN sell it?

The funding tools would never have come to a vote until the Spring 2014 budget. And they may yet still.

The Liberals stood there during the last election, and promised full-day service to James Street North in 2015. In what way is this not another broken Liberal promise?

So yes they broke their promise. I just think they promised under false pretenses :p

And they specifically said they were going through all this trouble just to provide all day service. If they knew otherwise, they should have just spent 30 million to fix the bridge and lay track to hunter street

Where has there ever been any evidence that Metrolinx was trying to buy the CN corridor? Why would CN sell it?

The funding tools would never have come to a vote until the Spring 2014 budget. And they may yet still.

I was under the impression they had expressed interest in the CN tracks given their interest in the GEXR section.

I suppose I was wrong then. Had they won a majority though I think money would have flowed for all transit more freely regardless of funding tools which I also think would have been brought forward more quickly. Thats just my instinct.

This idea of more hunter tracks however seems like a far more interesting idea though and a more rapid and coat effective one.

Anyone know why they chose not to do Hunter?

GO wants its lakeshore service to go to the new station largely because it works for an eventual extension to Niagara.

Truthfully I don't see much service needing to originate from Niagara region or st Catherine's. Seasonal service and special events make sense but even so could they not run trains on a branch line using CN corridor with a limited number of trips?

The second branch would run to Hamilton GO center like it does now with more two way service

Truthfully I don't see much service needing to originate from Niagara region or st Catherine's. Seasonal service and special events make sense but even so could they not run trains on a branch line using CN corridor with a limited number of trips?
I'd think more demand would originate from the Stoney Creek and Grimsby stations.

And they specifically said they were going through all this trouble just to provide all day service. If they knew otherwise, they should have just spent 30 million to fix the bridge and lay track to hunter street

For the service areas that have been hearing intentionally vague promises of all day service for a long time it gets a little tiresome (in a very bi-partisan way...as all parties are fond of making such promises). I see that Ms Horwath and the NDP are at it with, both, the KW service increases and transit funding in general.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4391375-horwath-won-t-say-if-ndp-will-prop-up-liberals/

She pledged more money for infrastructure, and spoke in favour of two-way, all-day GO service between Waterloo Region and Toronto, but wouldn't say how soon an NDP government would bring that about.

She said her party would fund the costs of improvements to GO and to infrastructure by eliminating tax loopholes, increasing taxes on the rich and killing a planned cut to corporate taxes.

The second branch would run to Hamilton GO center like it does now with more two way service

No offense, but if I had a dime for each time I've seen St. Catharines spelled wrong...

Horwath promises to fund transit through the same ways as she promises to fund everything. You can only tax the rich and corporations so much. Sure, you may be able to do it to get transit, but then you are left with no funding for any of the other initiatives you want to introduce.

I really think the GO Niagara Region service should run to Merritton. The current location of St.Catharines station is less convenient for most of the connections to the area. From Merritton it is a shorter trip to Pen Centre and Brock U, and provides convenient access to 406 and the 58 tunnel to Welland and Niagara Falls.

I really think the GO Niagara Region service should run to Merritton. The current location of St.Catharines station is less convenient for most of the connections to the area. From Merritton it is a shorter trip to Pen Centre and Brock U, and provides convenient access to 406 and the 58 tunnel to Welland and Niagara Falls.

Until a year or 2 ago, never been to the station there considering how often I visited the city.

It not easy to get to the station by car, let alone transit. It single track, but a 2nd track can go in with side platforms.

No idea where Merritton is.

When Metrolinx came into existence, it was to cover the GTA area. Then it became GTAH area.

We joke as this thing was being born trying to come up with a name that a number of us were calling it South Ontario Transit (SOT) (SO).

GO is now running to NF and KW today with more to come that it is coming (SO) (SOT)

I have made a recommendation in a section of a report on transit I am doing as part of the main report that Metrolinx cover an area of 150km around Toronto to the point it run GO Service to London in the west and Kingston to the east.

Because GO has expanded into territory service by VIA and bus companies, everyone has cut service because of GO and the Fed's not support VIA in the first place. I expect to see VIA not offering service to NF, London or Kingston in the next decade or 2 unless it is on the long haul runs. The Maple Leaf, Windsor, Ottawa, Montreal and Sarina long haul will only remain for VIA and there is some think some of them will disappear over time.

Merritton is a part of St. Catharines near Merritt Street and Glendale Avenue. It used to be an independent town and there was a station there that had possbile transfers to NS&T interurban cars. General area: https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.13916,-79.211469&spn=0.00696,0.016512&t=h&z=17

An intriguing idea - St. Catharines could possibly have two stations - Merritton (which could have a small layover yard like Georgetown, Hamilton GO Centre or Lincolnville built in) and St. Catharines West at or west of the current station.

Until a year or 2 ago, never been to the station there considering how often I visited the city.

It not easy to get to the station by car, let alone transit. It single track, but a 2nd track can go in with side platforms.

When Metrolinx came into existence, it was to cover the GTA area. Then it became GTAH area.

We joke as this thing was being born trying to come up with a name that a number of us were calling it South Ontario Transit (SOT) (SO).

GO is now running to NF and KW today with more to come that it is coming (SO) (SOT)

I have made a recommendation in a section of a report on transit I am doing as part of the main report that Metrolinx cover an area of 150km around Toronto to the point it run GO Service to London in the west and Kingston to the east.

Because GO has expanded into territory service by VIA and bus companies, everyone has cut service because of GO and the Fed's not support VIA in the first place. I expect to see VIA not offering service to NF, London or Kingston in the next decade or 2 unless it is on the long haul runs. The Maple Leaf, Windsor, Ottawa, Montreal and Sarina long haul will only remain for VIA and there is some think some of them will disappear over time.

Would be nice to see the GO train system eventually turn into something similar to what they have in the Netherlands, with a mixture of long-haul and local routes that are accessible and cheap enough for frequent passenger and commuter movement. I think London in the west, Kingston in the East, Barrie in the north and potentially Peterborough in the North east could be a powerful network the likes of very few North American regions have seen. We may see the day where it is feasible to travel around Southern Ontario between cities easily without a car.

Back